When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Guy on the train was wearing a 21j Navitimer

sneed12

I work downtown, so I get on the train with a bunch of guys in suits just like me most days, coming home.

Guy standing next to me, lawyer with a big firm, was chatting with another lawyer about a client (and kept using the client's name, which is a big no-no). He was holding the bar in front of me with his left hand so I got a good look at his watch.

21j, faux-chronos Navitimer in two tone on a bracelet.

First time I've ever identified a rep on someone's wrist :)

There should be discreet RWG "calling cards" you could hand to someone who is wearing an embarrassing replica and can afford better.

awesome idea we could start a exclusive club from saving people who can afford it from bad reps

Haha what a great idea it would be to have those cards. Maybe we can make a template and just have those be printed locally? I have spotted quite a few bad reps and also our reps, these cards would be perfect.

sneed, I have meet zero people who would know if a watch was gen or rep. Of course there are some really crappy reps but the little details discussed here and mods done is beyond the public at large. In most cases if they see an expensive watch ( that they recognize "Rolex") they assume it is a rep unless you are a known high net worth person. I have a rep SOH which is a beautiful watch but most do not even know what a Breitling watch is, cost etc.

It is just a real nice watch to them. Never the less nice catch you must have been dying to confront him.

sneed "How would you know? "

Good question. I wear a different watch most every day and am know as a watch lover, whether it be work,

local shop I go to, dinner counter for breakfast or local college where I take some classes or the Pub. I engage people in all these settings no one has even shown the slightest knowledge of watches rep, gen or otherwise. I do not use mass transit so that is out, I live in the rural portion of my state and mostly have to look out for deer on the road , cows, horses & corn fields are the scenery . Could be a guy like you out there who noticed but I doubt it. By the way you were going downtown on a train, NYC or another major city no doubt. If I did that it would be a hell of a lot more likely. You said yourself first time you spotted one in how long working in a high density area?

Could be a guy like you out there who noticed but I doubt it.

Here's my point: you've been here a whole two months, I don't know your level of watch knowledge but judging by some of the threads you've posted it's pretty typical for a well-read noob (like I was, not too long ago).

If people know you as a "watch guy" and you wear reps, then people have probably noticed your reps. I'm careful NOT to be known as a "watch guy" in real life. I don't want people checking out my wrist.

By the way you were going downtown on a train, NYC or another major city no doubt. If I did that it would be a hell of a lot more likely. You said yourself first time you spotted one in how long working in a high density area?

I've taken the train less than 20% of the days I've worked, and tomorrow is 5 months on the job. Not that long. Also, I don't typically do more than glance at other peoples' watches unless they catch my eye.

I should amend my statement, actually--this is the first time that I've identified a rep on someone's wrist, not counting times when people have said "hey check out my watch." A number of people have said "Hey, you're wearing a Rolex, so am I" and shown me a $50 21j Noobmariner.

(Others have shown me a gen 1675 and a gen 1665 great white, so there is a lot of variability there)

sneed12 "Well read noob" I would say that is a fair assessment. I have just bought 3 reps one not wearing yet as I have to mess with adding links from bracelet that Andrew sent me (just for dress anyway) Rolex waiting for extra links & a new SOH worn 4 times. I wear gen watches not expensive ones just have many of them so "watch guy" but not for reps. I have a Pam California but it sterile just liked it, bought it before I knew what a Pam was! (guy makes them USA). A 47mm bu-hr-flieger from Helenarou, same sterile just liked it. I have many others like Ingersoll, Andriods ,Invicta ,Swiss Legend, Croton, the list goes on a few have never gotten out of the box to the wrist. Also bunch of cheap ones ebay Chinese, I give them away to friends & there kids. I bought one that I "NOW" know is a dead ringer for a Breitling Bentley, 50 bucks shipped (Ailibao brand on it) , bet they make the reps also. Get compliments on it often, go figure. You NYC by the way.

(have a friend with 3 gen Rolex we are going to compare my new sub at next GTG for fun)

PS I look at peoples wrist all the time most do not wear watches grown men mind you. Young people forget it they have a cell phone for the time, sad

Weird, i have never been able to tell if someone has a rep or not on their wrist. I just assume its real. Been here long enough to realise that ppl in shorts and tshirts wearing a daytona might as well drive a ferrari... not just today.

And yes there are ppl on this forum who actually drive and own ferraris.. and stil wear reps. So you never know what to think of anything..

The only ones i assume wear reps are account managers.. well ppl in sales. *car dealers*.

Good spotting OP, i would never se it.

I live in Malaysia, and here many, possibly most, young people wear low quality reps. Watches are far more fashionable amongst the young here than they are in Europe or America, and most kids buy their watches on market stalls. Some of these stalls sell unbranded watches, but many sell cheap reps. These typically cost about $10-20 and bear only a passing resemblance to the gens, but they are extremely popular. It is possible to get good quality reps too, but they are far more unusual and you need to know where to go to get them. However, what this means is that if you get into pretty much *any* train or bus you will see at least half a dozen people wearing their ticking quartz rolies.

Hi all, seen lots of similar threads to this.

I do find it strange when members say

"unless it's a Rolex people have no idea what watch I'm wearing".

I live in London and within my circle of friends I'd say 50% wear mid level gens. (rolex, breitling,tag) These are people from all walks of life. All obviously have some disposable income. Some buy new, some second hand.

Thing is, I'd say it must be 75% that are watch aware where I live.

Sent from TK-421's comms using Tapatalk

When I was a car dealer, I wore a gen Rolex. It was 10 years ago, I don't know that super-reps existed then.

That just confirm my idea "why never know what to expect". But ok from now on i will not think that all car dealers wear reps.. cudos! ;)

Hi all, seen lots of similar threads to this.

I do find it strange when members say

"unless it's a Rolex people have no idea what watch I'm wearing".

I live in London and within my circle of friends I'd say 50% wear mid level gens. (rolex, breitling,tag) These are people from all walks of life. All obviously have some disposable income. Some buy new, some second hand.

Thing is, I'd say it must be 75% that are watch aware where I live.

Sent from TK-421's comms using Tapatalk

I agree. Most ppl at my work wear mid level gens. I have even seen a hublot mixed with the rolex, breit, tag, sins and pams. Seems im the only one wearing reps ;)

• 1 year later...

The only time I have been asked about wearing a fake watch was when I was wearing my inheritance: Breguet tourbillon messidor 263 Just kidding :) I've never been asked if I was wearing a fake ... But then, I don't wear Rolex ;)