When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Noob Rolex Explorer II, dial refinish!

Mickey Padge

The new noob factory Rolex Explorer II is a very nice watch, superlumed dial, great case set, not a bad watch at all, however, it seems all or most of the dials have a wonky 12 marker, maybe the 6 and 9 marker too, the one I got did, thats for sure.....

Check out the crooked markers on the QC pics! laugh2.gif

img0027hz.jpg

So, I thought what could be done? I like white dials, but I also don't like gloss dials a great deal, I much prefer a matte finish, like the black dial 42mm Explorer 2 happy.gif

So I picked up a can of Mr. Super Clear Flat UV Cut Spray for about £10, and took the watch to pieces, removing all the hands and the dial. I took off the 6 and 12 markers, and carefully reglued them in the right place, then proceeded to gently add a few coats of Mr Hobby onto the dial, ever watchful for dust.....

Once the dial dried I reassebled the watch, lining the hands and the date change as you should, and the results are here in the following pictures, please let me know what you think! cool.gif

p1000132f.th.jpgp1000130n.th.jpgp1000128is.th.jpg

p1000124m.th.jpgp1000123f.th.jpgp1000119f.th.jpgp1000117o.th.jpg

p1000117r.jpg

I have to say I was really surprised at how well it turned out, the dial has zero reflections, only the crystal reflects, the finish is lovely and soft, and the lume is the same as before, just as bright. The watch is totally transformed, on my wrist now, and not going anywhere! I am so tempted to do the same thing to my 42mm white Explorer II!

Thanks for looking, any questions, please feel free to ask! happy.gif

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I was so scared I would mess it up, but thankfully everything went to plan! :)

I think the results speak for themselves :victory: I know how you must have felt though, I'm feeling the same about my planned 16610 to 16800 conversion project :)

I think the results speak for themselves :victory: I know how you must have felt though, I'm feeling the same about my planned 16610 to 16800 conversion project :)

Thanks, I think a tiny spec is on the dial between the 8-9 marker, but otherwise it looks pretty clean. Clone movement inside, and before I fixed the markers, the GMT hand was out of sync, so I fixed that too, the GMT hand jumps on this piece when set :)

Thanks, I think a tiny spec is on the dial between the 8-9 marker, but otherwise it looks pretty clean. Clone movement inside, and before I fixed the markers, the GMT hand was out of sync, so I fixed that too, the GMT hand jumps on this piece when set :)

It's certainly not a visible mark, it all looks pretty clean :) Nice work on sorting the movement too :victory: Is it independantly settable, or just in keeping with the 24 hour sweep?

Hmm, not sure, Asian ETA clone with GMT mod, it wasn't clicking into place on the hour before, but inbetween, now after re fitting the hands, it clicks onto each hour and inbetween correctly :)

And the mark you would need to look for it pretty hard, certainly doesn't bug me, certainly not when compared to the 12 marker position before I opened up the watch! B)

Hmm, not sure, Asian ETA clone with GMT mod, it wasn't clicking into place on the hour before, but inbetween, now after re fitting the hands, it clicks onto each hour and inbetween correctly :)

And the mark you would need to look for it pretty hard, certainly doesn't bug me, certainly not when compared to the 12 marker position before I opened up the watch! B)

Excellent work on all counts :victory:

Very nice MP. Question: How did you remove the markers? I thought about doing the same thing to my black dial version.

Well, I knew I was going to respray the dial, so I just picked them off with my nails! :lol:

Reglued them with care using rodico putty and jewellers glue :)