When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Special 1675 Finished

speedbird100

My 1675 build ends

I learned a lot from this. I have so many hours invested it isn't even worth counting. I also went way over budget but the results aren't half bad if I do say so myself.

Parts List

-Cartel 1675 from Trevor

-WSO bezel assembly

-DG 3804b low-beat GMT movement

-Gen spring bars

-DG hands

-New clasp for the jubilee

-Dial reprinted by myself

This is the first rep I've ever seen of an all-red GMT hand 1675. For those who aren't familiar, the all-red is a very rare version not seen too often. There are enough out there, however, to make it something worth repping. It's believable I guess you could say.

d6492e6c.jpg

89cb89e9.jpg

4650a99b.jpg

My 1675 build ends

Maybe. These things are like cars, seemingly never ending.

I learned a lot from this. I have so many hours invested it isn't even worth counting. I also went way over budget but the results aren't half bad if I do say so myself.

The results are very good! And it sounds as though you did it the way most of us do.

-Dial reprinted by myself

How did you reprint the dial?

Nice work - never seen a red hand GMT before in all of the research I have done, interesting

Also, is that the Cartel plexi ?

Take a look at Sneeds thread just below - a $5 Clark 116 makes a world of difference!

Has anyone tried to fit a Gen 5.3 crown to this case and tube set?

Nice work - never seen a red hand GMT before in all of the research I have done, interesting

Also, is that the Cartel plexi ?

Take a look at Sneeds thread just below - a $5 Clark 116 makes a world of difference!

Has anyone tried to fit a Gen 5.3 crown to this case and tube set?

the tube is too small but if you used something called liquid metal some kind on metal epoxy fill the thread let it dry and re tap it will fit like a glove.

WP_000041.jpg

Hey guys,

Changing out the crystal isn't something I'm willing to tackle on this since the WSO bezel insert was modified for the one I already had. It'd be nice but way too much work.

If you're interested in the All-Red http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=75710

The All-Red was seen from the late 60s to early-mid 1970s. The rarest combination is the all-blue service bezel with the red GMT hand. If you're not familiar with the blue military bezel: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=52069

Lots of interesting GMTs out there

Nice work, but a couple of thoughts -

Every red-handed 1675 I have seen had very definitely yellowish lume, including NOS hands (see below)

rolex_image.2835933.jpg

1675FORSALE08LR.jpg

Also, if anyone is interested, here is a NOS red-handed, gen GMT hand for sale from a reliable seller (click pic for link)

1951233gross.jpg

man for 1800 Euros, I rather shoot myself. :huh:

Red hands were seen from the late 60s to about 1973 or 1974. They ARE oem parts but it's unclear if they were all-red from the factory or if they were repainted. Some people believe they are from the factory like that and that is my camp. It's a fact Rolex RSCs all over the world have serviced all-reds without even a hint of an issue. If it wasn't Rolex oem I bet someone, somewhere, would have had an issue. Waaaay too many of them out there to be faked I think.

It's like fairies, you have to believe.

Red hands were seen from the late 60s to about 1973 or 1974. They ARE oem parts but it's unclear if they were all-red from the factory or if they were repainted. Some people believe they are from the factory like that and that is my camp. It's a fact Rolex RSCs all over the world have serviced all-reds without even a hint of an issue. If it wasn't Rolex oem I bet someone, somewhere, would have had an issue. Waaaay too many of them out there to be faked I think.

It's like fairies, you have to believe.

Might they have been some kind of alternate, or even limited run part, which was simply discontinued? I just hit up google and saw an interesting Oman military edition, which almost looks like it has an all black Perspex bezel insert (although the fact that the numerals are only 2D points more toward a very curved metal insert :g: ) I'm definitely liking the aesthetic :)

The rarest combination is the all-red with the UAE all-blue insert.

I'm sure I've seen pics of the UAE Airforce 1675, but I didn't realize that it had the all red hand, I guess I must have been so focussed on the dial logo to notice the hand :lol: Thinking about it, the 1655 had the all red/orange hand, maybe the 1675 all red hands were produced at the same time, but phased out when the next version of the Explorer II (should really be considered the Explorer III) was released with the Submariner-style dial and silver-tipped GMT hand, Rolex did have a habit of messing with production parts back in the day :lol:

Not all of the UAE 1675s had the blue bezel but some did. Also, the blue bezel was given away during service in the late 70s by Rolex. These went to the general public.

I guess back in the 70s, Rolex were happier to give the customer options, rather than their new policy of swapping any inconsistent/old parts for new stock :lol:

Guys - is the popular opinion that this base watch (often stated as 'Trevors'?) is NOW the way to go when building a limited budget 1675?

Is it a better option that the previous Josh 1655 option?

I have read the many threads on these builds over the past weeks, but it seems to be inconclusive or not debated?

Hey Map,

If I were to do it again, I'd go the 1655 route. The Trevor 1675 is an okay place to start but I didn't save any money and probably had more hassle.

Let me lay it out. With the Trevor 1675 you get a case that is okay but the CGs are wrong, caseback is wrong-ish depending on the era. Hands are wrong, dial isn't perfect, bezel insert is waaaay wrong. If you opt for the jubilee bracelet, the clasp is wrong. Also the bezel ring isn't quite right either. You have to drill the lugs and if you don't have the correct equipment, this will not be easy

You're going to have to source, beg, borrow, and steal these parts and some of them aren't cheap. A WSO bezel ring and insert is over $80 and you still have to decide to replace the movement with a more correct low-beat. All in I have $400 in my build and for the same money I could have gone the 1655 route and probably come out ahead. The only parts left from the 1675 as-shipped are the dial (modified and repainted), crystal (because of the Clark fit issues with the wso bezel, I opted motto change it), mid case, case back, crown, and the jubilee sans clasp. Internally the only thing I kept was the ring. I had to machine new clips to hold the movement as well.

Once I decided to build the 1675 all-red it was clear I had to change the hands entirely and ended up having to build a gmt hand from 2 parts. It's not an easy process. You also can't easily replace the crown with a gen part. The rep crown isn't horrible so I kept it.

So, to answer your question in short: A gen 1675 in okay shape is $3500. I spent 1/10th of that and with pretty good results. The Trevor base and the 1655 base are simply 2 ways to get the same result. At the end of the day I think the 1655 base will be a bit more accurate.