When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Butcher a Mint Vintage Tudor Sub?

mastersdom

I thoroughly respect your creative streak! I have it too. Maybe that is where it stems from. Have you checked out iron on vaneers? Strangely they aren't much more than plastic!

Well back on topic, the "irreversible" bit is the killer for the lugs. I can't do it to what is pretty much my favorite watch. The reason I like it so much is it is Rolex quality without having Rolex on the dial plus it just screams out "tool watch".

Thanks, I would post some photos of it, but I'm experiencing camera/phone/pc issues at the moment, but I will put some up at some point in the future :) I feel exactly the same way about Tudors, all the style and aesthetic of a Rolex, but without The R Word on the dial, so they never draw a second (or even first) glance and fly totally under the radar :) I have a custom Rolex project of my own planned based on the 6542, but involving a monochromatic bezel insert and a 1016-style dial and a 1675 large GMT hand :) I guess that's your call on the lug bars, I just figure as you've got the replacement parts anyway, you might as well go the whole nine yards with your plan :good::drinks:

Thanks, I would post some photos of it, but I'm experiencing camera/phone/pc issues at the moment, but I will put some up at some point in the future :) I feel exactly the same way about Tudors, all the style and aesthetic of a Rolex, but without The R Word on the dial, so they never draw a second (or even first) glance and fly totally under the radar :) I have a custom Rolex project of my own planned based on the 6542, but involving a monochromatic bezel insert and a 1016-style dial and a 1675 large GMT hand :) I guess that's your call on the lug bars, I just figure as you've got the replacement parts anyway, you might as well go the whole nine yards with your plan :good::drinks:

Birds of a feather TeeJay!

Hey if we could get Damasko to ice harden our cases we would have the ultimate watch. Rolex really should buy the patent. I mean, they bought most of their others and this would mean that they would never scratch!

PS Please show us some pics when it is done.

Thanks Janeto! Everybody has gone quiet :( Maybe we need a clue?

No, just nobody cares. That's a game my 7-year-old plays.

Personally, I'm with the Zigmeister on the lume job. You took something that isn't made anymore and could never be replaced, and altered it.

If you want to buy a 996 and modify it, go ahead. Porsche still runs the factories that make the parts, anything you want to change could be changed back.

But don't buy a 356 and hack it up. There are fewer and fewer every year, and they're a piece of history now.

If cost is no object, why destroy something irreplaceable when you can achieve exactly the same result using readily available parts?

• Like 1

Personally, I'm with the Zigmeister on the lume job. You took something that isn't made anymore and could never be replaced, and altered it.

If you want to buy a 996 and modify it, go ahead. Porsche still runs the factories that make the parts, anything you want to change could be changed back.

But don't buy a 356 and hack it up. There are fewer and fewer every year, and they're a piece of history now.

If cost is no object, why destroy something irreplaceable when you can achieve exactly the same result using readily available parts?

No way, your 7 year old? Sneed? I didn't think you were out of nappies yourself mate.

I'm not destroying it. Any fifth grader could explain to you the laws of physics but E= MC squared and energy can't be destroyed. Just changing form and it will no doubt change back.

Now, bedtime story over, go and have a lie down eh?

Birds of a feather TeeJay!

Hey if we could get Damasko to ice harden our cases we would have the ultimate watch. Rolex really should buy the patent. I mean, they bought most of their others and this would mean that they would never scratch!

PS Please show us some pics when it is done.

I would say that that would be the icing on the cake, but for me, a watch never 'felt like it was mine' till it had received it's first ding :lol: I'll be sure to post pics when it's done :good::drinks:

To quote a line from GTA4, because that's Player Style! :D Why do people modify or customize cars? Why did Jack the Ripper cut up all those women? For the lols... When I have £10M spare, I plan on buying the MV Brigitte Bardot and having it converted into a luxury yacht for exactly the same reason :good::drinks:

PS Having finally got the pics to load on my iPhone, I'm going to do that setup with my own 79190, because it looks awesome, and the angles of the sword hands perfctly complement the triangular markers :victory: Indeed, had Tudor released a MilSpec 79190, like Rolex did with the 5517, that is exactly what it would have looked like. It may be a fantasy build, but personally speaking, I'd consider it an accurate 'prequel' and a perfect 'what if...' :good::drinks:

PS Having finally got the pics to load on my iPhone, I'm going to do that setup with my own 79190, because it looks awesome, and the angles of the sword hands perfctly complement the triangular markers :victory: Indeed, had Tudor released a MilSpec 79190, like Rolex did with the 5517, that is exactly what it would have looked like. It may be a fantasy build, but personally speaking, I'd consider it an accurate 'prequel' and a perfect 'what if...' :good::drinks:

Hahaha ace TeeJay! But that means mine wont be the only one anymore :) Really happy to meet somebody that knows where I was headed with this. Maybe still am :) The Tudor Sub is such a perfect weight and size. So you have a 79190 too! I'll post some pics when I've loaded the new acrylic superdome and bezel. I think it will look amazing. Will you be going the fixed lug route? I have some genuine vintage Seamaster hands that I will most likely use in the final build for the sake of quality. Obviously genuine Superdome too.

How are you going to put a plastic crystal on a 79190? The construction is too different i believe. The 79190 was the transition to the modern style press in crystal. I don't think there is a frugal retaining ring like on the plastic guys.

I have a 79090 retaining ring, tensioner etc. I have not taken the existing bezel off yet so I can't be sure it will fit. But unless they changed the actual case then it will. Fingers crossed.

Hahaha ace TeeJay! But that means mine wont be the only one anymore :) Really happy to meet somebody that knows where I was headed with this. Maybe still am :) The Tudor Sub is such a perfect weight and size. So you have a 79190 too! I'll post some pics when I've loaded the new acrylic superdome and bezel. I think it will look amazing. Will you be going the fixed lug route? I have some genuine vintage Seamaster hands that I will most likely use in the final build for the sake of quality. Obviously genuine Superdome too.

Mine's really a composite of a reproduction 79190 dial in a rep 5513 case, not a pure 79190, but as the dial and movement were gifted by other members, it has a lot of sentimental value for me and I'd never part with it :) I won't be going with the fixed lug bars as my Tudor Snowflake project is a fixed lug bars, and I only want the one NATO in my collection (I don't like how they feel once they get wet) but I always keep the 79190 on a Tropic-style strap as a hot weather watch :) To keep the exclusivity for you, I'll put a blue insert in mine (I've been considering going with a black/blue combo for a while but was undecided which watch to modify :D ) Likewise, while I have a lot of respect for the purists projects, and am even planning on making my 16610 to 16800 conversion project as accurate as possible, my true passion is with customization :good::drinks:

Mine's really a composite of a reproduction 79190 dial in a rep 5513 case, not a pure 79190...

I'm contemplating a U-Turn TeeJay in which case I will go the same route as you. Parts come up often enough. I'd just use a 2824. The strong feelings here have definitely given me second thoughts. There are less and less full sets available.

Oh one last thing ... I forgot I'd swapped the dials about a year ago when I did the lume. Those who know their Tudors will know mine has the WRONG dial for a 79190 :) So, I must have wanted to conserve the original because my spare dial is the original, not this one. Must be a sign :) Now we can all sleep at night ;)

I'm contemplating a U-Turn TeeJay in which case I will go the same route as you. Parts come up often enough. I'd just use a 2824. The strong feelings here have definitely given me second thoughts. There are less and less full sets available.

Oh one last thing ... I forgot I'd swapped the dials about a year ago when I did the lume. Those who know their Tudors will know mine has the WRONG dial for a 79190 :) So, I must have wanted to conserve the original because my spare dial is the original, not this one. Must be a sign :) Now we can all sleep at night ;)

My dial has the T SWISS MADE T markings at the six position, but it is actually a water decal over a blank dial, and the 5513 case was just one I had spare at one point, but it's always looked good :) I've just found a blue Mil-Spec bezel insert on eBay, so that will definitely allow me to go with that color variation :) I wouldn't let public opinion sway your opinion, if you want to do the mods, do the mods, as previously discussed, that's the pleasure of custom, especially when you have the spare parts :good::drinks:

Does it say "Prince Oysterdate"? It shouldn't if it is a 79190.

Here's my lumed dial at night. The compound I used is far brighter than Luminova and lasts longer in my experience. Perhaps to bright :)

It does read Oyster Date, so I'm not too sure which model variant that would be, but as mentioned, it is really a decal which was done by a forum

member (I'll try and find a pic of it in my photobucket to post) It's never been a 1:1 replication, just always been a firm favorite, not only due to the sentimental value, but also because of the dial layout :)

Excellent lume results :victory:

Doesn't bother me that I have the wrong dial in the 79190 either. The 79190 should say "Prince Date". Subtle change or what? :)

I just double checked, and it does infact read Prince Date (I hadn't noticed earlier as the hour hand was obscuring the word Prince, and I just focussed on Date :bangin: This isn't the best pic, but it gives an idea of what it looks like :)

DSCN4116.jpg