When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is The Pammania Era, Over ?

AMK000

Maybe I am wrong (... I wish I am wrong) but some how I have the impression that the CHN rep makers are either slowing down with the PAMs or are done with this brand.

Its quite some time now that they are not come up with new models (eg: 108, 122, 156 etc...).

All we see from PAMs are some improvements on existing models (which of course is not bad at all).

On the other hand we see new brands and models poping up (IWC, AP, Cartier, PT was mentioning Chopard, etc...) which of course is good and adds variety to (sometimes) monotony of the PAMs.

(btw , what you guys you gonna do with all these pam straps :lol: , cant fit any other watch)

Any way , maybe our dealers can bring us some more light in to that posibility (end of the PAMmania era ??? )

..... just a thought I wanted to share. :)

We haven't seen new models from Rolex, either. Or at least any real improvements. Best rep models of GMT Master and Daytona are 1.5 years old. And still no decent replica of the modern SeaDweller and vintage GMT.

Instead of Cartier and Chopard I'd rather see brands like Zenith and Ebel repped properly. And more TAG models (Autavia, Aquaracer 2000, Carrera, Aquagraph, Link Calibre 31, etc.) The Link Chrono has been a bestseller so I don't see any reason to ignore TAG.

I'm holding out for a good Big Pilot...

PT's AR chrono looks likme a winner for sure, that's first on my list.

It would be nice for them to work harder at perfecting the Panerais, like the new chronos' cases and the 212 dial. Cg's need work and overall quality could be bumped up a notch.

It would also be nice if they would use real super luminova instead of the crap they are ruining these dials with now... I mean, really, what's the sense in using silly putty, when for a couple extra bucks, they could use the real thing.

Because a couple of extra bucks doubles the production costs. :blink:

@ PugwashVery true

we also have to think that we have been asking for different models, and if they have been listening to us look at what we have on sale now, it was not long ago we asked for the chronomat and look what we have, I asked about the Railmaster XXL and we have it (just a shame about the bridges) only thing putting me off. So we asked for variation and we are getting it.

Have no fear. The PAM era is anything but over. We now are even getting certain versions of new models before PAM sells them (232, etc.). I don't have the time to do it but count how many new PAM models have come out in the last nine months. In fact new products beyond the standard 44mm and 45mm handwind variants haves accelerated. I do agree that this has been the year of non-Rolex reps - IWC, VC, AP, etc. It has been a great year with no slowdown in immediate sight. :)

I never thought that the CHN rep makers will stop produce PAMs.

I only feel some how that the PAMS are now getting in to a short of RLX and OMEXA production rythms. Here and there you get a new model. Then a lot of different versions to improve it etc.....

During the last 18 months we had almost a new PAM model every 2 months ..... now it has been slow down.

As Logan says, they have almost produced every possible PAM model by now, so to a degree is rather logical to see a slower rythm of production.

To me (... a bit repetitive here...) it looks like that the CHN rep makers are paying more attention now to different high-end brands .... which I think is good.

During the last 18 months we had almost a new PAM model every 2 months ..... now it has been slow down.

don't think that is true...we have got in the last few months...the 222...the 187...the 194...the 249...the 232...the 088...089...250...251....

even if most of this reps are just dial variations....they are new and they keep coming as mushrooms...

so we are really far from the end of Pammania era!

P.S.

don't forget the hard work being done by Davidsen...

I think that also in the "genuine watch market" there is a tendency to move towards the brands of IWC, jaeger le coultre, & some other brands......

Rolex are considered ''passe'', but Panerai are still in good market position.

This is the situation in my country (Greece)

best rds

george

I'm glad that Iwc is gaining popularity,... and also chime in on Zenith to finally

come into the fold, and would welcome Blancpain....

Panerai it seems.. like Rolex, has limited amount of styles, that after a while, keep

only hard core enthusiasts returning.

For me, you need to do more than change a name, and dial or bezel color to keep me

coming back, as I crave a variety of different case shapes, sizes, faces and hands.

If you play it safe,.. you lose my interest.

For instance, after buying maybe five Pams, I have sold four, retaining only the 212

as the best example of Panerai, in mine eyes.

However if the MARE NOSTRUM were to arrive, I would be on it in a heartbeat ! ^_^

As for Rolex, after buying maybe six,.. found myself never wearing any, thus sold them all,

never to return.

Their static style, though at times I can admire in photos, {for instance in Relaxman's new post},..

still can't see myself buying.

Not to mention that they are so common on the street, in both genuine and especially reps.....

which adds to the ban I currently have on them.... but who knows... I may, after taking

a break, find myself magnetically drawn to them, again..... stranger things have happened... ;)