When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just wondering - where are all the modders at on our forum?

triplehd

As a member on all the rep forums and this being my true home, im a bit confused on why we only have 2 modders on the forum? I know The Zigmeister is away (I believe) but only 2? I know there are modders on other boards where there sections are closed (due to shoddy work, B.S, etc), but still, they have more than 2.

Any reason for that? Not looking to stir the pot - just wondering why.

I know there are modders on other boards where there sections are closed (due to shoddy work, B.S, etc), but still, they have more than 2.

Any reason for that? Not looking to stir the pot - just wondering why.

You have answered your own question. Because consistent ones are few and far between....unfortunate but true.

You have answered your own question. Because consistent ones are few and far between....unfortunate but true.

True, but there are some that are on other boards that are truly reliable - both CONUS and over in Eurpoe. Just some additional options for our members here to send their watches to when needed.

True, but there are some that are on other boards that are truly reliable - both CONUS and over in Eurpoe. Just some additional options for our members here to send their watches to when needed.

That may be true. But they are not here. We are purposefully slow to adopt modders as recommended here. 9 out of 10 "modders"'either get ridiculously backed up or get out over their skis and start taking on work they either farm out or should farm out. Movement skills are different than aesthetic skills. Dial work is very different from casework. Being able to service a 6497 does not qualify you to service a chrono or tourbillon movement. Even on lume - a base dial is very different than a 196. You see where I am going. In any case there are more modders than you think here. You just need to read carefully. I can tell you there are more modding skills here for certain brands than anywhere else. Having said all that, I am sure there are other quality folks elsewhere and when you find one or different guys who are experts at different elements - stick with them. :)

That may be true. But they are not here. We are purposefully slow to adopt modders as recommended here. 9 out of 10 "modders"'either get ridiculously backed up or get out over their skis and start taking on work they either farm out or should farm out. Movement skills are different than aesthetic skills. Dial work is very different from casework. Being able to service a 6497 does not qualify you to service a chrono or tourbillon movement. Even on lume - a base dial is very different than a 196. You see where I am going. In any case there are more modders than you think here. You just need to read carefully. I can tell you there are more modding skills here for certain brands than anywhere else. Having said all that, I am sure there are other quality folks elsewhere and when you find one or different guys who are experts at different elements - stick with them. :)

Very well put!

I believe myself to be a skilled watchmaker and a mediocre aesthetic modder. Due to a strong self reflection and the fact I have a day time job I choose not to offer my services to this forum (nor anywhere else). I only work on my own watches. With a large demand it is easy to screw up. You also need to be a superbe project manager to succeed over time :lol:

I am with Watchmeister here.

I would add that as a member of RWG, after some time here, I met many other members with various skills.

All have a daytime job and none of them want to be called "modder".

One is a true watchmaker, another is great in AR coating, another one can make your old and abused 93150 look like new...and so on.

I have used modders, like anybody else, but the only reliable one I knew is long gone.

All others "wanna be" fucked up my watches...

1+ with watchmeister!! It's better to recommend no one rather than have a list of modders who lack the skills to be real professionals, and in fact are ham-handed amateurs. Some of these folks are really good at one aspect of modding i.e. movements, luming,case modding, etc. but the guys/gals who can do it all are few and far between.

the biggest problems I see with most folks are their lack of time management skills. or the old "I'm just a gal who can't say no!" Instead of closing down their PM box ,making an announcement that they are full up for 60 days etc., they just keep taking stuff in and before you know it, they have a years worth of work stored in boxes in their workshop. Then the owners start sending angry emails and PM's, because their watch has been sitting at the modders for 6+ months, and they can't find out what's going on. Of course this leads to the modder trying to hurry through jobs, cutting corners and ultimately, making a royal mess of other folks watches.

There are quite a few folks on the forum who have awsome skills modding watches. I mean they are professionals. The problem is every one of them has another full time job, and they only mod their own watches. They realized a long time ago, they don't have enough hours in the day to work, mod watches and have a life as well. If you are fortunate enough to buy one of their watches on the sales forum you will indeed have a work of art.

My question was more in general and not me looking for a particular modder. I have had worked done in the past by some great members here on the board that are not part of the MOdders section.

I didnt know if there was a process that we have on our board on who can be part of the Modders section compared to others. I have used modders on other boards (besides Vac being here) since they were also US based. But i know i have read threads where people (newbies, etc) were looking for either US Based or EU based modders. So, again, didnt know if we had a process of who can be part of the Modder section, etc. WM had provided insight with his replies above.