When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Datejust movement question.

yeldarb

I'm considering buying a datejust, this one in particular http://www.1-pc8838.com/rdjms10036-black-dial-stick-markers-28362-p-1315.html and I was wondering why they use the ETA 2836-2 when there is only a date function even though the movement is built for day date. I ask this because I would like to place an ETA 2824-2 inside the watch, is this possible?

Thanks

Brad

• 2 weeks later...

It is possible, however most datejust use the 2836-2 to correctly position the stem in the case tube. The calender wheel on the 2824 is set in a lower position than the 2836-2. That directly affects the claender wheel overlay clearance to the back of the dial. With the 2824 assembled and ready to install you will find the stem not centered in the case tube, that is critical for smooth trouble free operation, I would recommend the 2836-2.

I agree with what mymanmatt says. These rep cases are designed for a 2836-2, so that's what fits best. Why do they use the 2836, I don't know other than maybe because it takes a DWO more readily. Costwise there's really no difference between the two, but the 2836 is certainly more prevalent in the rep world. When you get into the gen world- the low to mid range watches w/ eta movements, then you see more of the 2824-2s since they're only using the date function.

All that was said above plus...the 2836 has a very different date changing mechanism than the 24. The 24has a springloaded wheel that pushes the date wheel around, while the 2836 has cam on the back of the date changing wheel that starts to load up a static steel spring at about 10:30 and then at midnight the cam gets to the end of it curve and unloads the spring. It really kicks that date wheel a good lick. "Good lick"...that's a technical watchmaking term.