When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

aeromatic

Well my latest purchase was supposed to be a (no modding buy) just buy it and wear it when i opened the package and saw the lemon yellow markers and yellow (guilt) writing i decided to age the dial by spaying it with wood teak laquer spray three coats, my watch maker friends face was changing to white

why do i want to ruin a perfect factory fresh dial he asks!

my first job was to sand down the sharp edges on the top of the lugs and then removed the dial and hands in fact the dial under the lobe looked very well printed and had a nice matt finish to it but those flurescent yellow markers were just to much my next job will be to re-drill out the lugholes anyway here are some quick photos! cost of watch 218usd plus shipping nothing like my 6538 yuki project which cost

2500usd to build!

post-27094-0-20790800-1342277957_thumb.j

post-27094-0-35480800-1342278041_thumb.j

post-27094-0-98506700-1342278118_thumb.j

post-27094-0-44928600-1342278193_thumb.j

post-27094-0-43549700-1342278289_thumb.j

post-27094-0-63074500-1342278355_thumb.j

post-27094-0-03449300-1342278455_thumb.j

Edited by aeromatic

Thanks woof! yes i agree only got the watch the other day i will fit a revited bracelet 40c here in the summer it too hot for nylon straps

actually im looking for a crystal that replicates the destortion we see on sean connerys goldfinger watch even my yuki project crystal did not replicate this Aero !

Very nice job.I really like what you did to the dial. Sure looks more believable than the out the box 6538's!!

Strap is appropriate if you're trying to emulate the "Bond" watch look. He wore an 18mm Strap on the Bond Sub. Personally, I don't like the look, would prefer a 20mm, but that's just my preference.

I agree about the crystal, it looks like it's fogged? Maybe a Clark?

AFA the strap, there is a guy that sells on Ebay as well as WUS forum from the UK who makes a very accurate replication of the Bond strap. that may be the one you have on your watch, but your colors look different.Search Bond strap on Ebay.

Here are a couple of photos of his strap.

post-327-0-25682200-1342286530_thumb.jpg

The strap on the left is his newer strap, more adjustment holes, and a more Olive green, and the red threads are not so metallic looking

post-327-0-54918100-1342286701_thumb.jpg

Very nice job.I really like what you did to the dial. Sure looks more believable than the out the box 6538's!!

Strap is appropriate if you're trying to emulate the "Bond" watch look. He wore an 18mm Strap on the Bond Sub. Personally, I don't like the look, would prefer a 20mm, but that's just my preference.

I agree about the crystal, it looks like it's fogged? Maybe a Clark?

AFA the strap, there is a guy that sells on Ebay as well as WUS forum from the UK who makes a very accurate replication of the Bond strap. that may be the one you have on your watch, but your colors look different.Search Bond strap on Ebay.

Here are a couple of photos of his strap.

post-327-0-25682200-1342286530_thumb.jpg

The strap on the left is his newer strap, more adjustment holes, and a more Olive green, and the red threads are not so metallic looking

post-327-0-54918100-1342286701_thumb.jpg

Thanks panerai 153 agree with the crystal actually i was polishing the watch and the crystal may have been smudged and not clean enough for photos ,my strap was purchased from corvus watches USA because i found that the colours matched the movie strap although the strap has faded slightly because of too many washes Aero!

• 1 month later...

I did the drop of epoxy with a touch of lume underneath and got the aged look in the pearl I wanted. It's very easy to do.

subpearl.jpg

Did you make the whole dot with epoxy? loks great!

The case is like Silix or Tiger or Rafflestimes?

my case is from trusty purchased as a complete watch i rebrushed the case and rounded off and polished the top of the lugs to give a bevel edge so to look more like my yuki project i think silix sells the same rep i tried to age the dial with wood laquer i then decided to purchase a superlume dial from ruhelena they mostly sell sterile dials and cases the photo does not show the dial well it is very glossy! they were able to supply me with a dial complete with logos ruhelena make an excellent 6538 homage case completely sterile its similar to the vintage but is modern with a saphire crystal and great shaped bezel similar to the mark 2 homage bond watch

This post is meant to show that a 6538 can be built on a low budget many of you will remember my yuki cased 6538 project with gen 1030 movement that cost me 2500usd

but not everyone can afford or want to spent that amount on a build the approx cost of this build is 245 euros (excluding shipping) the watch is fitted with an asian gold eta 2836 which runs fine

although i will be looking for a silver slow beat mabe a 2846-2 i have a 70s eta movement which is the same as the 70s tudor sub but the dial feet will not fit and mabe would be suited better for a tudor project!

Did you make the whole dot with epoxy? loks great!

Thank you! Yes. I dug out all the white down to the chrome 'housing'(?). Then I put lume in the bottom and mixed up some 5 minute epoxy from the double push-pump tube thing. One drop on a toothpick touched it right in. It self limits to the edge and rounded nicely. It lumes just a bit. The thing that's nice is that if you are a little shaky, as I can be sometimes, and if you miss a bit, a rag wetted with paint thinner like naptha cleans it out and you get a do-over.

They've changed since I got mine, but it looks like this one from Joshua http://www.1-pc8838....836-p-9099.html

Mine is engraved 5508 and 6538 in between the lugs. Yeah, both!

Yep my trusty is engraved the same! i have seen a gen that has the backcase stamped 5508 which was crossed out and engraved 6538 it seems that they used up parts left over also some 5517 gens have 5513/2 backcases in the same way!

I used the cartel case for this one that I made into a 6204. Swiss ETA2846 non hacking and modified to two position stem. Since that pic I've beveled the edges.

finished6204.jpg

Very nice! where did you get that dial from nice colour tone!

post-27094-0-24126900-1347292739_thumb.j Closer shot of the dial (very hard to take photos as the dial is

very glossy)

post-27094-0-51475500-1347293058_thumb.j This is my franken 6538 yuki dial

from my 2009 build

Edited by aeromatic

Great job, that new dial really makes a difference! From ythe looks of the before and after, you did something with the rehault as well.In the first photos, the rehault looks sort of like the one on the puretime 6542. In the "after" photo, it looks like a completely different watch . Where did you get the second glossy dial from?