When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My feet are in sartorial splendor...

projectologist

Well my b'day came and went earlier this year and I hadn't made up my mind which shoes or boots my wife could get for me (she has been bugging me to get a new pair for the past couple of years).

So I started doing research on some of the better brands still made in the US and with old-school methods. I kept reading good things about Alden's lasts more so than any others. I'm on my feet a lot and need solid support that hits my foot in all of the right places. Plus it's a last that easily accommodates in-soles... a huge plus.

Fast forward to a meet-up with member m3amg this past weekend, and BAM! He's wearing Alden Indys, the 403's (my favorites) AND they turned out to be my exact size when I tried them on. I'm a size 10 with most shoes, but I had read that with Alden's boots, you need to go down a half size. So the 9.5's were perfect smile1.gif

After about 5 minutes of walking around at lunch they were good to go. Wore them the rest of today and into this evening with zero issues. The footbed is perfect for my foot with no heel rise up and down rubbing when I walk. That has always been an issue with most boots I've owned in the past.

Highly recommended as the last pair of lo-top boots you will ever need. And with the generous welt, re-soles are easy.

Now all I need is a decent pair of jeans to go with them. Why does good denim have to be so damn expensive???

aldens01.jpg

aldens02.jpg

Now all you need is a PAM with straps that matches that color! :1a:

Well what do you know..... PeteM has a beautiful Orloff Strap for sale that is the same color!!! Click Me

Well my b'day came and went earlier this year and I hadn't made up my mind which shoes or boots my wife could get for me (she has been bugging me to get a new pair for the past couple of years).

So I started doing research on some of the better brands still made in the US and with old-school methods. I kept reading good things about Alden's lasts more so than any others. I'm on my feet a lot and need solid support that hits my foot in all of the right places. Plus it's a last that easily accommodates in-soles... a huge plus.

Fast forward to a meet-up with member m3amg this past weekend, and BAM! He's wearing Alden Indys, the 403's (my favorites) AND they turned out to be my exact size when I tried them on. I'm a size 10 with most shoes, but I had read that with Alden's boots, you need to go down a half size. So the 9.5's were perfect smile1.gif

After about 5 minutes of walking around at lunch they were good to go. Wore them the rest of today and into this evening with zero issues. The footbed is perfect for my foot with no heel rise up and down rubbing when I walk. That has always been an issue with most boots I've owned in the past.

Highly recommended as the last pair of lo-top boots you will ever need. And with the generous welt, re-soles are easy.

Now all I need is a decent pair of jeans to go with them. Why does good denim have to be so damn expensive???

As long as we're spreading the word about exceptionally good footwear...

I need robust boots and once my beloved Raichle Eigers died (broken shank) I went modern with Montrail. I've got two pairs, the Couloirs and Verglas.

The Couloir fit like they're custom made to my foot, lightly insulated, deerskin lined, waxed and waterproof, and durable. They're best described as comfy fuzzy bunny slippers that are crampon compatible. I'm 6 years into them through unbelievable conditions and they keep improving. When the stock insoles broke down I searched out genuine Birkenstock insoles and they're amazingly comfortable on long backpacking trips. On -30F mornings they take a LONG time to thaw out.

The Verglas are hardcore with carved birch shanks. I use them much less but they continually amaze, being comfortable enough for long backpack approaches, and stiff enough to stand on a 1/2" crack. They're Thinsulate thin, even more waterproof, and lasted with a nice toe rocker. They're intimidating because loosely tied they seem to have no weaknesses. Tight lacing means your metatarsals will ache for a week but you'll have God's Own Traction and Stability. These are serious pieces of gear. Perhaps due to the Thinsulate, they warm up much quicker on cold mornings.

Give them a try! I can't recommend them highly enough.

Heck yes! Can't beat Alden or Redwings

I did a lot of comparing between these 2 brands. But the Aldens were a notch or 2 better in most areas... some were overall fit and finish (can be seen the way edges are finished and consistency of stitching, eyelets are better quality (makes a big difference over time) and quality of leather used in all areas was better (very important in the interior lining).

RedWing makes a good product at a fair price point, but for approximately 25% more, the Aldens are a superior product in almost every way... IMHO. Note I'm not referring to the entire range of products, just a particular style of both manufacturers. RedWing is still the work-boot king.