When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA 2836-2 stem removal button

yeldarb

Hi everyone I was taking the stem and crown off to place a little bit of silicon grease but when I tried to re insert it I could not. I depressed the stem removal button while turning the stem clockwise, hoping it would catch the gears but I guess while I was doing this I did not notice how much pressure I was placing on the stem removal button and the button just "broke" cause now the button isn't in the hole anymore. Here is a picture below, so what can I do, should I bring it to a watch maker and have him fix it?

Thanks

Brad

post-27105-0-38623200-1342565735_thumb.j

I did this to three of my movements. Keyless works are messed up.

Only use a 1.2mm screwdriver to very lightly press the button and remove stem.

Fixing the keyless works is actually really simple. I have no experience and fixed all three of my movements using tutorials from here. Search for keyless works. Took about 15 minutes to fix.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

I did this to three of my movements. Keyless works are messed up.

Only use a 1.2mm screwdriver to very lightly press the button and remove stem.

Fixing the keyless works is actually really simple. I have no experience and fixed all three of my movements using tutorials from here. Search for keyless works. Took about 15 minutes to fix.

Dont you need to remove the hands and dial to get in there to reset it?

You do this in 15 minutes?

I killed my blue snowflake with this movement last night the same way.

I have removed hands and replaced hands with tweezers. I can't recommend this method as I damaged the hands doing this.

Yeah I tried that with a beater and it didn't turn out too well. So I just went and bought a Presto hand lifter and hand presser on eBay. Here it is, is this any good?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/330718619407?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_3009wt_1185

Thanks

Brad

If you are not experienced in repairing movements I highly recommend you take it to a repair man. The process to fix what you did is very simple. When you push to far on the stem release button you dislocate the yoke and yoke corrector. Not a major problem by any means. Your repair man will remove the dial, remove the retainer that holds the yoke, 1 screw, reposition the the yoke and corrector, reinstall the retainer, install the dial, install the hands and your done. Takes less than 5 mins. When you are removing you stem, support your palm on the table so you can barely depress the stem button, and give a slight outward tug on the stem while you gently depress the button, it will come right out and leave everything in the correct place . Be sure before you depress the stem button, that the stem is pulled all the the way out to the set time position Good luck