When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5513 or 1680?

dieselpower

• 5 weeks later...

OK. Thanks for all advices. I'm going to go plain Jane. Basic 5513. I've been looking at ingod44's dials and I'm not too impressed. I have no issue with his pricing but I can see many, many flaws with his feet first dial when I compare it to pictures from the web of gens. From what I can see virtually all aspects are wrong. Am I insane? Do you know different? Discuss......

OK. Thanks for all advices. I'm going to go plain Jane. Basic 5513. I've been looking at ingod44's dials and I'm not too impressed. I have no issue with his pricing but I can see many, many flaws with his feet first dial when I compare it to pictures from the web of gens. From what I can see virtually all aspects are wrong. Am I insane? Do you know different? Discuss......

How do you feel about this Ingod 5512?

de037177.jpg

@ woof*, it's difficult to tell from your picture, and also I don't want to diss your watch. So lets compare the following, first is ingod44, second is gen dial

post-2563-0-61379400-1345329948_thumb.jp

post-2563-0-88479200-1345329972_thumb.jp

The index is wrong, the lettering of ft is wrong the 6's are wrong the word submariner looks wrong, the list goes on..... Or like I said, am I mad. Also my knowledge of 5513's is scant so I may not even be comparing like with like but it's worth airing I think.

No worries of offending me :)

I see the differences you point out. I am no expert, but you do know the gen's printing, fonts, and spacing.. vary from year to year, and batch to batch?

I would like Freddy's and anyone else's opinion that know dials well. If it's so off, a gen dial is not all that expensive anyway.

I am not an expert on dials by any means but I have traded relax watches since the early 1970's and have noticed a few things...

Dial details are different from 'batch to batch' as pad printer parts etc were changed. Besides that, more than one dial company made the dials.

A Yuki, IG44 etc dial may not be exactly like a particular genuine dial in all details but they are very good and much more affordable than a top condition genuine dial. A genuine dial on a $900 Frankenstein watch will usually not raise the value of the watch much (if any) compared to a Yuki, IG44 etc dial...and every time I am out in the bright sunlight I would be worrying about sun damage to the high $$ genuine dial.

An 'aged' $135 replica dial is cool but a sun bleached genuine $700 dial is not nearly as cool because of lost value. :cry2:

One thing is for sure...my $125 IG44 'meters first' 5513 dial is 500% better than any of the refinish jobs I have paid $100 or more for on original dial blanks that I sent to dial refinishers myself over the years. Some came back looking like they were painted with a roller and lettered with a hair brush.

Most of the reason for replicas/Frankensteins (for me anyway) is to make something out of nearly nothing. If I wanted a bunch of genuine stuff, I would just draw $$ out of my life savings and go down the street and buy it.

Where is the fun in that? ;)

A bank robber on a ZX14 never gets caught. :3a:

A bank robber on an HD always gets caught. :wheelchair:

There are many feet first 5513 dials. Serif dial, Maxi dials (I, II, III, IV & V), pre-comex dial. You need to do some research and decide which dial you'll use.

Ingod's dial looks like a precomex, where the lower horizontal stroke of the "f" aligns with the horizontal stroke of the "t". Don't have a lot of knowledge on these, so can't comment on the accuracy. But the crown logo is not accurate.

Gen pic looks like a serif dial.

Apples vs. Oranges.

Here's some reading:

Maxi dials

Precomex dial

5513 dials

I would like Freddy's and anyone else's opinion that know dials well. If it's so off, a gen dial is not all that expensive anyway.

Actually, it will depend on the dial and condition. Also, not sure what "expensive" means for you, but if you decide to sell in the future, gen dials will probably increase in price, so you could see it as an investment.

With much thanks to Gimme I have now made a study of the ingod44 dial and I am impressed. My previous post with photos was unfair to the dial as has been pointed out there many differences in the gens. So, in the interests of fairness here is another comparison. The same ingod44 dial first then another gen. In this comparison the ingod44 fares much better.

post-2563-0-70277500-1345522790_thumb.jp

post-2563-0-78774500-1345522818_thumb.jp

So....are you going with Ingod? :)

Both Ndt and Phong have nice dials also.

My 5512 above is an MBW case modded by Highoey

Gen 702 crown and tube

New Swiss 2846-hack removed

Gen service insert

Gen clasp

SK crystal but to be replaced with gen T19

Ingod44 5512 dial

Pretty straightforward build by Jmb

For my MBW Milsub currently being build I also went with an Ingod dial. Ingod's no date dials are amazing quality for the money, most apparent flaw for me is the shape of the R in Rolex (when you compare it to the milsub dial batch my build is trying to emulate). I feel the shape of the crown makes up for it though. From normal distance, the dial printing is very convincing.

I also thought about buying a gen dial for a moment and have the Milsub "T" added, but just couldn't get myself to cut the dial feet. For ETA builds, I think Ingod's dials are the best bang for the buck at the moment. NDT's, from what I can tell from pictures floating around here and there are very good quality, probably a little better, but more expensive as well. They are about half the cost of some matte gen versions and that's just something I couldn't justify on a non-gen movement build.