When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 1655 to 16750 Birthday Project Build - Pictorial...

justlounging

gen16750.jpg

This pictorial is my way of saying a big THANK YOU to all the individual members, especially to JJ, who had contributed so much of their valued knowledge and time in helping make this a reality for me..

This build has been a long awaited project..I had originally purchased the 1655 from the cartel with intentions to mod it with gen parts as I was totally into the 'Orange GMT Hand'..

This was how it looked like after I got it back from local maestro, Spin..He did a fantastic job giving the dial, hands, case an overall vintage look..

p1050180a.jpg

p1050181p.jpg

This started me onto my vintage bug..i would love to go into that but that will be for another thread.. :p

At another sister forum, there was many members building 1675s so I got intrigued and true enough, I started reading up, asking loads of questions and collected many gen images as reference..

Last October, I promised myself that I would get the 1675 GMT Master conversion done for my 33rd birthday this year in October after gathering all the necessary parts..Guess I kept to this promise and with a few months to spare..Might build another one.. :popcorn:

This was the list of parts that I had to gather:

1. Yuki 1675 GMT Master Version 1

2. Sterile Milsub Caseback from Rafflestime

3. GMT Hands from Rafflestime/Yuki

4. Clarks 25-116 Crystal

5. WSO Bez%l Assembly set with Pepsi Insert

6. Rep Jubilee Bracelet/Clasp

7. 20mm x 2mm Springbars

The gathering was slow and quite boring really..i somewhat got distracted by upgrading my Noobmariner LV and also the Superlume SSD..everything changed when I bidded and won a gen 16750 'Spiderweb' GMT Master Dial for less than US$100 in early April this year..This sparked off the fire in me to quickly gather the rest of the parts..

So the list changed to this:

1. Gen 16750 GMT Master 'Spiderweb' Dial

2. 2836-2 Hands from Rafflestime

3. Asia 2836-2 movement

4. Sterile Milsub Caseback from Rafflestime

5. Clarks 25-116 Crystal

6. Gen 6251H Jubilee Bracelet with correct 55 endlinks

7. Gen 1675/16750 Faded Pepsi Insert

8. Gen 2mm Springbar

9. Rep 2pmm Oyster Bracelet

I had originally wanted to send this to either Pbdad or JJ but I wasn't too happy on the postal service so I went directly to Spin.

Gathered all the parts in early June and made an appointment to meet up..lo and behold, I picked up this from him last weekend.. :woot:

p1060123s.jpg

Enough said, I'm totally chuffed with this and it found its place in my new watchbox..Enjoy the rest of the pics! biggrin.png

p1060109c.jpg

p1060110y.jpg

p1060113j.jpg

p1060112.jpg

p1060114r.jpg

Here's some pics to illustrate the 'Spiderweb':

1117op1060127h.jpg

p1060128.jpg

p1060119z.jpg

p1060118em.jpg

p1060117d.jpg

p1060122x.jpg

p1060111a.jpg

p1060115l.jpg

All in all, I spent just under US$800 for everything and I couldn't be any happier..If i wanted to be particular, the following list of parts would be added on, when I get more funds of course..

Additional gen parts to be included (optional):

1. Gen Black GMT Insert

2. Gen 6mm Twinlock Crown and Tube

3. Gen 1675 Caseback

4. Gen 7836 Oyster Br!celet and Clasp

And a glimpse of what's in my new watchbox (Will be getting a custom box inlay shortly)..

p1060124c.jpg

Thanks for looking! All feedback and comments are welcome! :)

• Like 1

Very nice build, looks like it all came together very nicely.....

I think my favorite part is the dial, it looks awsome with its slightly gilt finish.

Question??? The crown you are using is the standard 6mm rep crown from the stock watch??

Thanks

Very nice build!

One word of advice though:

Do not waste money on a gen caseback or 7836!

There are too many tells that'd need to be fixed before.

On your wrist and in the hand nobody will distinguish the Cartel 7836 or caseback as fake... At least not before they'll have noticed the thick case and big crown.

Believe me!

Just got back from dinner with the cousin and here's a side by side comparison with the gen 16760 aka 'Fat Lady'..his watch has the updated sapphire crystal and more defined bezel teeth..it came with the oyster bracelet and 7836 clasp as standard..

Straight away you can see the big difference in the CGs and how 'fat' they are on the 16760..looking like a modern GMT Master II..

p1060157v.jpg

Another difference is that the 16760 has the 'Date' word on the dial whilst the 16750 doesn't..

p1060166ar.jpg

Comparing the thickness of the midcase of the cartel 1655 to the gen 16760, the difference after modding is very negligible..

p1060158r.jpg

And here's another side by side showing the thickness of the midcase and the lugholes..Once I get in the proper 2mm thick springbars, they should 'pop' out like the gen..

p1060159g.jpg

CGs & Crown..

p1060160gu.jpg

p1060161t.jpg

Width of Lugs and you can see the difference in depth on the 'cuts' of the bezel..

p1060162u.jpg

p1060163o.jpg

Overall weight of both felt the same (didnt have a weighing scale available at the restaurant)..

I am very very happy at the way this build turned out to be..and an even better surprise to realise my cousin owes the gen..

Thanks for looking! :)

Very nice build!

One word of advice though:

Do not waste money on a gen caseback or 7836!

There are too many tells that'd need to be fixed before.

On your wrist and in the hand nobody will distinguish the Cartel 7836 or caseback as fake... At least not before they'll have noticed the thick case and big crown.

Believe me!

After comparing side by side with the gen 16760, i dont thick the thick case or crown is such a major tell.. :)

After comparing side by side with the gen 16760, i dont thick the thick case or crown is such a major tell.. :)

You are right.

It'll look even slimmer compared to a SD or DSSD.

Hell, next to a gen PAM it will look super slim.

Apples and Oranges...

How about providing some measurements from your own 1675?

*edit: purchased a gen 16750 caseback and gen 6251H clasp locally..a few more gen parts to go..
:D

You are right.

It'll look even slimmer compared to a SD or DSSD.

Hell, next to a gen PAM it will look super slim.

Apples and Oranges...

Edited by justlounging

How about providing some measurements from your own 1675?

*edit: purchased a gen 16750 caseback and gen 6251H clasp locally..a few more gen parts to go..
:D

Please, you obviously got money to spend and didn't care for my advice.

I couldn't care less...

I'm not here to convince the minds that are already set on their "believes'', but to give advice if I can (seldom it is).

Nice GMT, be happy with it - it looks really nice.

It will fool any fool without me telling you what's right and what's not ;)

Thanks for looking! All feedback and comments are welcome! :)

Ahemmm....

Hey don't take it the wrong way..i'm glad that you gave your comments but could you elaborate further on it?

you said thick case on my build..what are the dimensions to the gen 16750 ? If my midcase can be modded to it, i would..also isnt the 16760 using a similar midcase as the 16750?

Is this the 'thin' case profile that you are referring to?

1675049.jpg

same goes with the crown..i am considering between the gen 5.3mm or 6mm crown..

is the gen 5.3mm?

2333s.jpg

I saw your 1675 pics/thread and it is what got me started on this build in the first place..

it's not about the money..if i wanted an all gen, I would have just bought the gen GMT Master and saved myself the trouble of gathering parts and then doing the build..but that's not why we are in this hobby..

Purpose of this build is to get a decently accurate watch with as least money spent as possible and with the most number of gen parts in it..

The gen parts can be easily sold on VRF if need be, so my loss there is very minimal..

Thanks again for your comments and feedback. :)

Some additional pics for anyone who has a WSO bezel insert..this is a comparison with gen bezel insert..

Gen insert is installed on the bezel, WSO Bezel is always in the foreground

p1060178u.jpg

p1060177j.jpg

p1060176w.jpg

p1060175y.jpg

p1060174a.jpg

p1060173p.jpg

As you can see, there are very subtle differences, mainly in the curvature of the '2', '6', '8' and '0'..'4' looks really close, thickness of the font is slightly wider on the rep..Also the dot separating the numbers is slightly larger on the rep as compared to the gen..

Some other pics:

p1060180z.jpg

p1060179q.jpg

Separate question:

Which looks better?

p1060171g.jpg

p1060172.jpg

First of all, kudos on an amazing piece :good::drinks:

Secondly, the photo with which you opened the thread has inspired me to plan a few minor cosmetic alterations to a budget GMT I was able to scrounge up the cash to order last week :victory:

Thirdly, October? Which day? Mine's the 10th :good::drinks:

PS May I re-post the first photo in the thread? :)

First of all, kudos on an amazing piece :good::drinks:

Secondly, the photo with which you opened the thread has inspired me to plan a few minor cosmetic alterations to a budget GMT I was able to scrounge up the cash to order last week :victory:

Thirdly, October? Which day? Mine's the 10th :good::drinks:

PS May I re-post the first photo in the thread? :)

Thanks and glad to hear the inspiration is being past on.. :)

Yes October..24th mate.. :)

I'm making the missus get me a TT for my pressie.. :D

Go ahead with the re-posting..just remember to post up pics of your mod..

Thanks and glad to hear the inspiration is being past on.. :)

Yes October..24th mate.. :)

I'm making the missus get me a TT for my pressie.. :D

Go ahead with the re-posting..just remember to post up pics of your mod..

Absolutely, I was happy to put up with a stock modern GMT as a 'temporary wearer' before using the movement for a custom build when I can then source other parts, but as soon as I saw that picture, I just thought 'that gives me an idea... :whistling: ' :D

Ahh, good to see another Octobaby on the forum :good::drinks:

I like the sound of that, I don't trust wifey or MiL to buy me watches anymore, but if I was to point them in the right direction, it might be a different matter :lol: