When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

denver shooting....

whoever

4.8% per 100,000 is an unacceptable figure if you ask me.

Not 4.8%, 4.8 people/100,000. Big difference. It's still too high, but I've always believed that the drug trade in the US is the cause of a large chunk of the gun related killing. I don't pretend to know how to fix that problem, but I think it would go a long way to reducing our rate.

Here's what no one is talking about (other than SFA on RG). How does an unemployed college kid get his hands on enough cash and knowledge to purchase everything he used, and the training to rig his apartment with the explosives in such a way that it took a military grade bomb squad to disarm?

Logically, I don't see how this could have been just some isolated psycho kid acting alone. There has to be more to this story (that we'll also probably never know).

As mentioned above, many of the US states are as large/populated as non CONUS smaller countries, so while the rate when simply looked at in a list of names of countries looks larger, when taken in context, they are really not so high, and have indeed dropped, which is a good thing :) In a country where guns are as freely and legally available (From what I understand, I could go into a gun store tomorrow, buy a pistol, and collect it by friday) it is common sense that there are going to be more firearms in circulation, and given the melting pot America is, it's no surprize if tensions which would once have been resolved with a fist fight, wind up with some douchebag/gangbanger pulling a gun to 'blast on some fool'. I'm not saying it's right, but it is a logical escalation in terms of violence, and the figures, when broken down per state, are not so disproportionate as they may seem at face value...

Zeleni, are there no criminals and organized crime in Sweden? Just asking.

Good fences make good neighbors, as well as patience.

On a different note, I took my wife shooting for the first time last year. After a nice gun safety course and me drilling into her head gun safety and first respondant reaction she loves it. She now wants a 1911 in 45. Acp. The woman can now shoot two inch groupings at 30 yards consistently. Her parents are completely against guns and she was raised in that environment. As a sport(if I can use the word lightly) target shooting is awesome. Forget Jedi powers, this is simple, you see it, you aim at it, it's gone. Lol

As far as self defense, I'll be the first one to admit a gun is not the first choice, but you don't bring a knife to a gun fight, just as much as you should meet pick a fight. If I'm at home and someone breaks in, the sound of a shotgun racking up will deter most people and make them run to the next house. If I can choose between beating up a criminal for trespassing my safety zone or shooting them, I'll choose beating them up. Trust me, they would not like that :)

Zeleni, are there no criminals and organized crime in Sweden? Just asking.

Good fences make good neighbors, as well as patience.

On a different note, I took my wife shooting for the first time last year. After a nice gun safety course and me drilling into her head gun safety and first respondant reaction she loves it. She now wants a 1911 in 45. Acp. The woman can now shoot two inch groupings at 30 yards consistently. Her parents are completely against guns and she was raised in that environment. As a sport(if I can use the word lightly) target shooting is awesome. Forget Jedi powers, this is simple, you see it, you aim at it, it's gone. Lol

As far as self defense, I'll be the first one to admit a gun is not the first choice, but you don't bring a knife to a gun fight, just as much as you should meet pick a fight. If I'm at home and someone breaks in, the sound of a shotgun racking up will deter most people and make them run to the next house. If I can choose between beating up a criminal for trespassing my safety zone or shooting them, I'll choose beating them up. Trust me, they would not like that :)

Old School Classic :good::drinks: By choice ( :bangin: ) I'd go for a 9mm Walther P99. Not because of the Bond association, but because the grip is just so damn comfortable :tu: