When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thinking about another gen, what gens do you own?

red series 3

I'm thinking about another gen and just can't shake it.

When I bought the Sub LV I deliberated between buying a 14060 or the anniversary sub.

These days the modern 14060 does nothing for me. I like the older two line version.

Which luckily these days I think is a pale comparison to a 5513.

The modern watches from Rolex don't have the appeal of the older watches to me.

I keep feeling drawn to purchasing a full set 5513 with a maxi dial from the late 70's. Having always been drawn to the presidents I have always wanted a white gold day date from the same era.

With the day dates I find that their is no good rep available. Nothing glitters like gold so they say.

But the white gold variants are uncommon and I have never seen any day dates with boxes or history.

On the other side a 5513 has been well repped.

I know this is a rep forum. But the prices of these two watches are not outside the realm people have spent on 1680 frankens or DW 6263's and within a justifiable range as far as i'm concerned.

I'm not the wealthiest of people and it is something I will save towards and wait until the right one comes along.

I see these both as iconic watches, with a chance of increasing in value and at the moment they are almost the same cost for a complete watch as their value in parts

In some ways I see a complete 5513 as a bargain considering the cost of parts, I think it would be more to put one together than to buy a complete watch

I don't plan on selling anything I currently own and would plan on keeping either option forever.

I wanted to see what option you would take, what gens you guys own and why you bought them

I own, and have owned a lot of watches over the years.Why did I by them? Well, mainly because I love watches, and obviously my taste in watches change pretty often. One of the nice things about genuine watches, they are genuine! No pretense, no sneaking around, no "can I wear this watch today, because it's a rep, and someone may recognize it as a rep, I would be very embarressed if I were called out" I really don't worry about all that, I wear my reps everywhere I wear my genuine watches. Another thing, there are a lot more venues for selling genuine watches. Selling reps are limited to the rep websites, unless you are trying to scam folks on Ebay!! I love them all, Reps and genuine. I started out with genuine way back in the late 1960's and I have never been without a genuine. In fact,I don't believe that I have ever been without a genuine Rolex, since about 1967.

At present, my list of genuines is:

Rolex 16610 "P" serial

Rolex 16750 GMT

Tudor 9411/0 Blue Dial "Snowflake"

MKII Kingston Non Date gilt dial

MKII Kingston Date Gilt dial

Ocean 7 LM5 GMT

Ocean 7 LM 7 ploprof

IWC 14k calatrava

Doxa "pre sub" Dive watch

Doxa 1200T Professional (for sale)

Seiko Tuna 600m

Seiko Tuna 1000m

My genuine collection waxes and wanes depending on my watch needs at the time. i just sold a very nice 85 year Omega Speedmaster Professional. it was getting absolutely no wrist time, and I needed to move it for something else. The something else appeared on WUS and TZ a day later, a Maurice Lacroix Calendre Retrograde, a watch I have been looking for for a long time. My collection is very heavily weighed toward sports /tool watches, and i need something that is a little dressier.

If you are looking for day/dates i.e "President", keep your eye out on the Vintage Rolex Market, I see them on there regularly. not frequently, but regularly. i would also check out places in major cities like Houston or Dallas. the "President " series were very popular wirth oil people, especially back in the 80's and early 90's. We had a Rolex AD here in our small town back before the oil bust of 1983-86. The owner told me that the 18k "President was her best seller. She told me that one oil man came in reight before Christmas and ordered 24 Presidents to give as Christmas presents to customers. Now that's a Santa Claus!!

• Like 1

My gens inclise a Muhle Glashutte Metior, bought to celebrate my daughters birth, an Omega Speedy mark V becaise I love the design, an Omega Italian market chronostop which I doubt I will ever sell and am Omega speedy 125 because I think it is stunning, especially the case. None of these are available as rep, none cam be calles as reps amd all of them I love for their design.

I am a fiend for Datejusts and have 2 at the present moment. One is a two tone and the other is a a stainless. The thing about these is that the can be had for a couple of grand or less.

Edited by Raijor

I vote a 5512 or 5513, plain and simple classic! Vintage subs are a great investment. I can tell you my gen Tudor 7016 purchased ~5 years ago was about $1500 and now are rarely seen for less than $2500-3000 -that's a conservative range too.

My gens:

DSCN5073.jpg

DSC_1581-2.jpg\

photo.jpg

Edited by toomuchgear

At one point a couple years ago I owned 5 gen Rollies. Then I traded a couple of them away for gen pams

Now I find myself missing my gen Rollie's more than I love my gen pams

I currently own the gen ceramic green sub and gen steel and gold ceramic gmt

Two years ago I had gen: black sub date, LV Sub, Gents Yacht~master rolesium, gen steel and gold blue sub, at first the gen steel ceramic gmt which I quickly upgraded to the steel and gold

Of those I reallllllllllly miss my yachtie and tt blue sub. Prob the two nicest looking dials ever regardless of brand

Iceberg that is a great piece. I find value in the Rolex brand. As I said earlier in the thread the cost of a whole watch. In some cases the whole watches are cheaper than their sum of parts.

Whereas with other brands the cost of the parts is massively cheaper than the cost of the entire watch.

I have heard of people that have bought genuine Breitling parts and put together a watch at a fraction of the cost of the entire watch.

My fascination with watches started around the 80's I always hassle my mates that carry on like [censored] with eta based high end watches telling them they have nice swatches and the like. Nobody can ever tell you your $1000+ watch is powered by a $50 movement with Rolex

I just added a Kobold Soarway Diver to my collection and REALLY like it. I will post some photos in the AM...

You either love or hate this brand. The topic of Kobold's value has been debated ad nauseum on the forums, but I will say that I am very pleased with mine.

My GEN collection as of now:

16600 seaDweller

Cartier santos 100 rubber

My GEN that I sold/traded

SS dateJust

Explorer II polar

Cellini Danaos

Ceramic Submariner black dial

PAM 177

PAM 112

PAM 210

PAM 312