When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Back In Black

swdivad

After a really long haul... she's finally back on my wrist, practically a thing of beauty. Problem is, me being so anal about perfection, it will need some more work, but it's just about there.

Work done:

Mirco-bead blast

TiAlN PVD coat

Date wheel reprint (Thanks Finepics!)

C3 Super Luminova & Hands matte black (Thanks The Zigmeister!)

AR coated crystal (Thanks Finepics)

Disassemble/re-assemble (Thanks to my anonymous watchsmith!)

Work to be done:

Fix up the blobby lume on the end of the chrono seconds

Fix up the datewheel issue where the pusher doesn't always work.

Decide what color I really want the tachymetre to be, it's grey now, but could be blue, yellow, white, or natural black

Try to get the chrono seconds smoother

Palpatine crown install when it arrives

In reality, it's pretty damn cool as is, but could be a 'bit' better

Please enjoy, comments/criticisms welcome B) Thanks for looking :victory:

147389-15436.jpg

147389-15437.jpg

147389-15438.jpg

147389-15439.jpg

Very nice.....only thing I would changed would have been the colour of teh large seconds hand....too little contrast against the dial.....!

BTW David...did you get my Skype note about the 'paint' sticks...?

Very nice.....only thing I would changed would have been the colour of teh large seconds hand....too little contrast against the dial.....!

Thanks TTK, that was a big problem here, and this is what it ended up with for now.

I wanted to use the chrono seconds as original, chrome. The one I had was damaged and could not use it.

The hand that is on there now was blackened accidently, so we put a dab (lol) of lume on the tip for visibility.

I think I will go for a chrome center seconds next breakdown.

BTW David...did you get my Skype note about the 'paint' sticks...?

Thanks for the message, although I no longer have skype installed, I did use the enamel paint sticks purchased here:

http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2/merch...uct_Code=LS-KIT

If I could only change bezels like I change straps :lol::Jumpy:

This is one of the very few heavily modded watches that i think may actually be worth the trouble... it looks GREAT. Panerai should consider it as a gen option. I LOVE the gray tachymetre and would NOT consider changing that at all, it makes the watch.

I do agree with Neil that the center second hand is too dark. In a way it is cool, a sort of stealth deal going on, but having actual functionality there would be better.

Overall it is a VERY cool watch. I gnerally HATE heavily modded watches as they seem to be a waste of time but again, this has created something new and very interesting.

Thanks for the compliments guys! This is definitely my favourite (right now). The quality of the watch received was just asking for me to do this to it as I've had a long term dream of a beautiful PVD chrono....

The center seconds will be reworked, but I am warming up to black with the lume in the end only, but may change it to something with a lume dot or 'leaf' on the end.

I am considering this to be a prototype, maybe doing this to the real deal, not sure what model yet and the gen budget is tight at the moment. It would have to be a pretty beat up model with a good price.

@David...as this watch is a complete fantasy.......have you thought about either orange or yellow for the second hand......if you use a phosphorecent orange or yellow...even green....it would stand out quite significantly...orange ala B&R.....!

Here's a very quick and very rough look at the colour contrast......sorry I couldn't be more precise.....not enough contrast between hand and dial to do a separation......maybe someone else can do it better.

post-288-1163326665_thumb.jpg

Edited by TTK

@David...as this watch is a complete fantasy.......have you thought about either orange or yellow for the second hand......if you use a phosphorecent orange or yellow...even green....it would stand out quite significantly...orange ala B&R.....!

Here's a very quick and very rough look at the colour contrast......sorry I couldn't be more precise.....not enough contrast between hand and dial to do a separation......maybe someone else can do it better.

147773-15354.jpg

I like it a lot :thumbsupsmileyanim: Yellow or orange would be awesome... I was thinking white as well. Do you have a source?

The chrono seconds on the PAM 212 isn't too shabby either

Orange in the style of the latest Bell & Ross would be a great choice I think......don't know of any source for orange hands...but Tamiya do a range of 'dayglo' type orange and yellow colour spraypaints......just remember to use a good primer...and spray from a distance...or if you know someone who has an airbrush.......and be careful when 'seating' the seconds hand.

Great watch!

As this is a fantasy model now (and what a fantasy!), perhaps you could have the small sub-seconds and minute/hour hand all the same lume colour, and all the chrono hands a different colour ? That would help you differentiate between the 2 as well :thumbsupsmileyanim: