When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New TC Sub LV Type II: Any thoughts?

fresh

Hi Guys,

I've recently seen the new TC LV sub and found it very impressive.

Actually I'm looking to buy a gen rolex (DJ II SS/WG) but I admit that having a sub in my collection will be great

Whatever, what you guys think about this watch overall ? for the price would it be a good choice?

I've seen gen LV but from pics it's very hard to tell if the TC bezel insert is close to the gen, what are your impressions? (is a gen insert really a must have?, I've seen some of them on the bay for around 500$, nearly the price of the whole watch, but if it really makes a difference why not invest a little bit more...).

And what about a sean bezel, will it fit a TC case?

All in all what mods should be done to make it better without spending more than 1500 $ (that's the max price I'm ready to spend for this rep)

Thanks a lot for your help !

Guys, I am by no means an expert. I don't own a TC LV and don't envisage ordering one for now. However, as someone who has seen his share of LVs, gens and reps, you need a gen insert to make the watch,

I have a BK WM9 LV with a stock pearl which is really really nice. I bought a gen insert off TRF and it dramatically changed the watch. When I needed funds for something else, I sold the insert and popped back the WM9. The difference was huge. I couldn't take it. As you would expect, I subsequently sourced another BK watch with the gen insert. Side by side, the difference is significant.

Under $1,500... Easy. Watch is around $600, insert $400, crown $100, crystal $200. Still have a couple of bucks left for a gen black insert to swap it out.

Good luck

Thanks Danielv for your information.

Well I now only have to find a gen insert (do you really think that a gen crystal and gen crown would make a noticeable difference?)

I looked on the bay this morning but there is only aftermarket insert not a gen green one...They tend to be rarer than the black ones as they aren't produced anymore...

Do you know a place where I could find some gen parts?

Thanks again for the help

Thanks Danielv for your information.

Well I now only have to find a gen insert (do you really think that a gen crystal and gen crown would make a noticeable difference?)

I looked on the bay this morning but there is only aftermarket insert not a gen green one...They tend to be rarer than the black ones as they aren't produced anymore...

Do you know a place where I could find some gen parts?

Thanks again for the help

Tc LV insert is realy good, and yes a gen crystal and insert makes a huge difference.

I have all tc watches and all of them has gen crystal, it is worth it.

You can Find gen parts on the rolex forum (trf)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thank you Fixen,

I've registered on TRF and have already sent a message for a gen insert and a gen crystal, still have to wait for the seller to confirm the avaibility...

So now should I also consider a gen crown ? a gen dial? or gen hands?

I precise that I'm not looking to have a super franken, just a nice watch close enough to the gen. I'm not an expert but the TC dial and hands look very good, aren't they?

The only concern would be the bezel, should I go for a gen ? or a sean's one (will it fit?) ?

Thank you Fixen,

I've registered on TRF and have already sent a message for a gen insert and a gen crystal, still have to wait for the seller to confirm the avaibility...

So now should I also consider a gen crown ? a gen dial? or gen hands?

I precise that I'm not looking to have a super franken, just a nice watch close enough to the gen. I'm not an expert but the TC dial and hands look very good, aren't they?

The only concern would be the bezel, should I go for a gen ? or a sean's one (will it fit?) ?

I'd stop at the insert crown and crystal. The dial alone would blow your budget.

Ok Guys,

So I'll add a gen crown and tube too (do you have the exact references please?)

Thank you very much for your help, it's great to see this kind of support.

And just to be sure all these gen parts (insert, crystal, tube and crown) will fit without any problems in a TC sub ?

Maybe I'll add a gen bezel too later, that's the cool part with a franken you can update it progressively if you really need it...

Ok Guys,

So I'll add a gen crown and tube too (do you have the exact references please?)

Thank you very much for your help, it's great to see this kind of support.

And just to be sure all these gen parts (insert, crystal, tube and crown) will fit without any problems in a TC sub ?

Maybe I'll add a gen bezel too later, that's the cool part with a franken you can update it progressively if you really need it...

7030 tube and 703 crown :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You can get gen insert for the LV at TRF. There were two last week.

Gen #703 crown on eBay, find seller jewelerstools, he has them. Find seller nostalgia2000, he has gen spec Swiss #703 tubes for 17$

TRF and VRF both have gen crystals.. I'd look for a used one.

I also want to mention that this watch comes with TC's new LV insert. He's worked on this for months and there's a good chance it's very gen like. You might not need to by a gen insert at all.

You can get gen insert for the LV at TRF. There were two last week.

Gen #703 crown on eBay, find seller jewelerstools, he has them. Find seller nostalgia2000, he has gen spec Swiss #703 tubes for 17$

TRF and VRF both have gen crystals.. I'd look for a used one.

I also want to mention that this watch comes with TC's new LV insert. He's worked on this for months and there's a good chance it's very gen like. You might not need to by a gen insert at all.

I think he is working on a black insert, the lv insert on type 1 is the same as tc fd lv ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think he is working on a black insert, the lv insert on type 1 is the same as tc fd lv ;)

The tell is the pearl. If he can rep the pearl as well as the case, it's a whole new world out there! After that, jus pop the pearl on any insert.

Well obviously the gen insert makes a real difference.

Thanks for the link, very helpful.

So I assume that the TC dial is based on a gen mark 6 dial is that right?

Could the experts tell me what are the differences beetween a gen/TC dial and hands?

And please how can I contact sean ?

Cheers

I feel that you should add gen insert only for now. Live with it for a while, if you decide it's a keeper and are fine with the flaws then you can decide which gen parts you'd like to add. The watch with gen insert will already be +$900 you can flip it at this price fairly easily (I did) but there may be less of a market if you get close to 1/4 the cost of a gen sub. If you plan to keep the rep forever than add away and enjoy the process.

I've also heard the TC LV dial being compared to a mark 6 dial so lets do that...

TC

NSN2ol.jpg

D-serial

L6QHUl.jpg

Z-serial

h7tn9l.jpg

eTNcXl.jpg

The metal on the round hour markers are too fat. All gen dials I have seen from early Y to V serial and random serial have thin round hour markers. The gen thickness matches or is thinner than the angled hour markers of 12, 6 & 9 markers. It's minor to some but to my eyes the balance was thrown off, the round hour markers had more pop & presence.

If you want to keep to total build cost low and still be satisfied Arcadia wrote a great thread comparing the TC to gen Y-series. If you eliminate the engravings, the TC bezel and xtal with no lec is series correct to early Y series Subs. inexpensive 2.0mm Clark crystals will give added xtal height and perhaps clearer date mag.

http://www.replica-w...nd-103387.html?

Gen insert is a a must as said and crystal. For me the fat rings on the markers and lume that is not quite as white as gen is beginning to bother me.

I have a set of gen hands and hopefully a gen dial shortly so a decision will be made on how far to go!! Adapt the hands to fit eta or go for a v2 rep 3135 when it hits the market place or save for a gen movement but then it gets close to gen prices!

Really gets you does this rep/Franken game!!:-)

Well the more I read the more I'm thinking to go gen :1a: ahah

But I don't know why, even though I really like this watch I still find it ovepriced (I've seen some used one in good condition for 5000 €, so a little bit more than 6150 $)

Honestly at this price, without any hesitations I would choose the new 2012 sub (7100$), I really like the changes on case and bracelet, even without the date I like it...

But concerning the LV finally I'm not against some investing...

In fact I need to think again, at first I've planned to buy a SS/WG DJ II, but finally I won't, I prefer the day date 36 mm

So I wait for a gen 2012 sub or I go now for a super franken LV (everything gen except case and movement...) as I won't buy the DD before the end of the year anyway.

Of course the prices won't be the same, the franken will still be much more affordable than the gen,

What would be the better choice ? I precise that whether a gen sub or a franken LV I'll keep it for many years.

• 10 months later...

Hi,

Concerning the insert he himself recommends to go for gen.

But I was thinking that maybe the best combination will be:

Sean case/bezel

TC Dial/hands/V3 bracelet

Gen crown, tube, insert, crystal

Any opinions?

IIMHO the Sean case primarily targets the Super Franken builders (gen or clone 3135 mvt, gen dial, hands, crystal, crown, tube etc.)

If you're not planning to use a clone or gen 3135, gen dial and hands I think you'll do better cost-wise sticking to a TC and adding gen crystal and insert :)

And yes....gen crystals and inserts make a huge difference and are well worth the cost and the trouble.

FWIW...

Here's my TC with Gen insert...will drop in a gen crystal when I find one. Not too concerned about the crown yet, I actually love the smooth and stiff feel to my crown.

Did the LV ever come with an AR cyclops or should I just stick to the non-AR? I've had both in the past and the AR was obviously cooler.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Gen insert is a a must as said and crystal. For me the fat rings on the markers and lume that is not quite as white as gen is beginning to bother me.

I have a set of gen hands and hopefully a gen dial shortly so a decision will be made on how far to go!! Adapt the hands to fit eta or go for a v2 rep 3135 when it hits the market place or save for a gen movement but then it gets close to gen prices!

Really gets you does this rep/Franken game!!:-)

Interesting, I'm 4 weeks into owning mine and I'm at the stage where the colour difference between the pearl (white) and hands (slightly yellow) are bothering me. The pearl is certainly closer to the dial lume, but even the hour indexs are a tad yellow.

I had a TC and BK YM, nothing beats the difference between the rep hands (yellow) on those after you install a gen dial.