When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

When do we see decent rep of Omega PO new range 2011?

Smab

Hi there fellow members. I paid one of the AD's for Omega in my town a visit recently. Looked at some Longines, Certina and some other cheap stuff, just to see what they are like, quite reasonable prices for the automatics from Longines and Certina, but they are nowhere near the build quality and feel of my GEN SOSF. Then I noticed he had the newest range of Planet Ocean with ceramic bezel in the display. Both 42 and 45.5mm chronometre (non-chrono) and the 45.5mm chronograph (new style with only two subdials and date at 6 o-clock).

They are just amazing looking watches, but prices have gotten quite high, compared to the recent PO lines (with alu bezel). He picked one out of the display and handed to me (the 42mm) and it just looks and feels superb! The feel and build quality of these models are just fantastic. The combined satin and polished surfaces are just staggering.

No pictures can show how good these models really are. Those of you who have held one in your hands, will know what I am talking about.

They have changed the dial, bezel (it is now ceramic, matte finish btw, not polished as oppose to the the Subs, GMT-Master II and DeepSea rollies) the caseback (it is now see-through sapphire caseback, in-house movement looks fantastic, btw) and bracelet is far superior to the older models. New bracelet is with screwed links and looks more refined, even it is not very different in overall than the old models bracelets.

Even the crystal looks more crisp and clear. Perhaps they have changed to colorless AR, I did not notice any blue or purple hue at all. I asked the AD, but he was not sure about the AR and if they had changed it.

Did not even look like he knew that there were different grades (and colors) of AR, and he looked quite surprised when I asked about such things as beatrate, in-house movements and more. Guess it is not common to have people like us rep-geeks, who probably now more about the GENS than the common GEN owner or buyer normally do, visit the AD stores. I guess us rep-geeks are much more aware of the details about different models, than most common GEN buyers. Since we allways try to identify the flaws of the reps, we must pay much attention to all details about the GENS, and such, we tend to learn more about all aspects of the GENS ranges.

Prices for the new lines of PO starts at NOK 38.000,- (about 6400 USD) for the non-chronos, and the chrono I think is close to around 50.000NOK (about 8500 USD). The AD guy had a 45.5 chrono on his wrist, I complimented him for it, but said it is probably the watch of a lifetime for me. He said, it should not be, and that I ought to get me one some day B)

Since I recently spend a good portion of money (3700USD) on my GEN SOSF (Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish), I am nowhere near beeing able to afford a GEN PO 2011 at this moment, but if I had, I would probalby pick up both the 42mm, 45.5mm non-chronos, as well as the 45.5 chrono!

In the meantime, when do we see decent reps of these, at least the non-chronos? I have seen something looking like an attempt over at Puretime, but they have a polished ceramic bezel,the gen is matte!

I reckon the chrono will be hard to rep, since it has the two subdial set-up with both ellapsed hours and minutes on the 3 o'clock subdial (with two subdial hands on the hours/min subdial), and seconds at 9 o'clock and date at 6.

Been asking myself the same question....and have strarted threads much like yours. I have also been waiting forever for the factories to release or rerelease the Breitling Seawolf. Unfortunately I dont have a answer. The rep biz seems to be In a slump right now. I hope they will be back to business as usual soon.

Most of the latest offerings have been lame at best. Quarts fake turbys.. and [censored] like that...not good. I feel once some of the heat is off they will be back making the great reps they are known for...at least I hope so. Fingers crossed. :v:

Mike

Hang on a few months, there is a delay but noob factory are in the production stage (well this according to several close td's) of the new ceramic PO's (42mm and 45mm).

There is good vibes so far, it would be nice to see a prototype soon but it still could be a couple of months yet before things are ironed out and with the recent raids it isn't helping the already patient wait for these.

I don't know how the final quality of these will look but expect the dial finishing to be up there with something like the ploprof, dial superlumed, things like pearl/matte ceramic bezel will be difficult as usual but dial/case should be good. As for displayback (not in a mllion years is it gonna be accurate) but at least a clone or selitta with pearlage and geneve waves rotor is expected. They've taken a lot on board with these new models and tbh they seem like they would prefer to avoid opencaseback models from now on if possible, but with the PO it is just too popular a potential seller to ignore the watch...they will definitely be repped and repped resonably well.

As for the gen, well, I don't have it :):( but if you are saving for one, make sure to push for 20% to even 25% discount as they have been got many many times! Initially omega had a policy of 'no discounts' to keep up with rolex but it seems that went out the window went they considered the state of the world economy and realised a discounted sale is better than none at all?!

• 3 weeks later...

Amazing the size difference in the two the new Po looks a lot beefier, are these the 42 or 45 c ?

Love the changes they have made to the whole piece whilst they still keep the great looks of the original ;) hey mine may not be around for long I'm just not sure that 45mm is for me anymore ! On the other hand they are sooo comfy to wear though :inverted:

They are both 42mm, it's funny as like you I thought one was the 45mm, just shows you how features like a higher chunkier bezel can make it look wider etc. Both cracking watches though. I'm seriously tempted to pick up the new one, still happy with the old one atm, but love the changes with the new one. You thinking of selling your 45 to go to 42 or getting something different completely? The rubber strap also looks great on them, but the price of the rubber is fricken insane at about $400 or thereabouts.

They are both 42mm, it's funny as like you I thought one was the 45mm, just shows you how features like a higher chunkier bezel can make it look wider etc. Both cracking watches though. I'm seriously tempted to pick up the new one, still happy with the old one atm, but love the changes with the new one. You thinking of selling your 45 to go to 42 or getting something different completely? The rubber strap also looks great on them, but the price of the rubber is fricken insane at about $400 or thereabouts.

I will definitely stick with the Po albeit a 42mm I think, just waiting now to sell the one I just bought! I reckon it's gonna take a long time for the rep of this one to make an appearance and when it does I can see a few versions being done to get it right too, same as the old Po route I guess ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Nope, the new one clearly is 45mm. The new 42mm version does not have a beveled date window.

Nope, the new one clearly is 45mm. The new 42mm version does not have a beveled date window.

Didn't know that, good info thanks, was led to the review and told both were 42mm, the newer one certainly looks bigger, not always as easy tell from a quick glance as it was with the bezel teeth of the old PO.

new-omega-seamaster-planet-ocean-watch-7.jpg?w=460&h=299

Edited by cougar1

Actually sorry chef, you are off, just fully read the review there rather than looking at pics and both watches are 42mm, I wondered how the f could the 45mm CPO be just a little bigger than the old 42mm PO. You are right about the date window though, 45mm's have beveling, 42mm don't.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=247254

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfer viewpost.gif

Nice write up! Is this the 45.5mm?

Both watches pictured are 42mm