When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Thursday Wristies

TeeJay

I decided to take a cue from the 1984 16800, and decided to matte varnish the dial of my GMT II. Had a few issues... First reassembly the dial wasn't 100% dry and caused hand binding, so stripped it down and put a crease in the varnish removing the GMT hand :bangin: So watched American Guns to kill an hour while the varnish dried further, then reassembled. And proceeded to drop the movement/dial assembly onto a tiled floor and lost the second hand for half an hour :bangin: :bangin: But got it all back together, and it hasn't stalled or stopped despite going past midnight, so I think I got away with it :victory: As mentioned, the watch was only purchased to provide a movement donor, so the varnishing was only a mini project, but I would've been pissed if the movement had been killed in the drop :lol: The dial is not as pale grey to the naked eye as it appears in the photo :pardon:

DSCN4647.jpg

Good save, T!

Wrist%204.JPG

Thanks, J, I nearly had a coronary when the movement hit the floor and the dial and hands went flying :bangin: Feels strange looking at the matte dial, but I'm sure that by the time comes to transplant the movement, I'll have gotten used to it, it's really quite a subtle effect, and would be perfect if it wasn't for the damage to the varnish :lol: Nice Explorer, by the way :good::drinks:

My 380 Panny is a fav. It is elegant simplicity. The Gen is one of the best priced Pams out there.

post-3251-0-99367400-1345730355_thumb.jp