When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBK Modern Submariners..Calling all Rolex Experts.. Pleaase Help!

justlounging

Hi all,

I am enquiring to see if anyone here has had experience with MBK Submariners, particularly the TT Subs..

Long story short, I tried removing the insert to reposition it and ended up lifting up the entire bezel assembly..

Bezel doesnt seem to separate from the crystal retaining ring..crystal doesn't look like it's gen spec (i.e smooth sides with no ridges/grooves)..

Used my fingers to press the bezel assembly back onto the midcase...it's not pressed in fully and it's slightly slanted..

Here are some pics:

img1865b.jpg

img1866ce.jpg

Has anyone else experienced this before? What are the next best options to take this forward?

Hoping for some advice.

This is meant to be a birthday gift for my dad (he helped me alot!)..guess i f-up big time.. :(

Thank you very much in advance!

Dan is right, you have to separate the bezel from the crystal retention ring and the crystal too. Press the crystal down from the top with your thumbs- you could also use the crystal press with the smaller dies. Like highoey says, if you have the dastardly two gasket system, you're going to have to keep working on it. I ended up with a gen crystal retention ring on mine and finally found an aftermarket bezel that worked. With the gold bezel you may have a problem if it doesn't fit tightly. Clark's is a good place for aftermarket parts- crystal and bezel assembly. A lot of this is just fit and match, maybe sanding with 320/400/600 wet dry snadpaper. This stuff doesn't fit like gen parts.

Dan is right, you have to separate the bezel from the crystal retention ring and the crystal too. Press the crystal down from the top with your thumbs- you could also use the crystal press with the smaller dies. Like highoey says, if you have the dastardly two gasket system, you're going to have to keep working on it. I ended up with a gen crystal retention ring on mine and finally found an aftermarket bezel that worked. With the gold bezel you may have a problem if it doesn't fit tightly. Clark's is a good place for aftermarket parts- crystal and bezel assembly. A lot of this is just fit and match, maybe sanding with 320/400/600 wet dry snadpaper. This stuff doesn't fit like gen parts.

I had a look at it yesterday and there is only one nylon gasket..the crystal doesnt sit into the rehaut like in the Noobmariner (the only Sub i had worked on)..instead the crystal sits on top of it and i'm guessing the gasket is meant to be wide enough to hold both the crystal and midcase together..

I cant seem to remove the bezel from the crystal retaining ring..it's stuck in there like a *****...under the crystal retaining ring, there is a flat black o-ring which i'm guessing is meant to provide a lil more water resistance?

Do you have a crystal press? If not, you need to get one. At that point you can press the bezel off of the retention ring. Yes, the black gasket on the bottom of the retention ring is for added water protection. Yours sounds like gen-like construction- the Euromariners from 3-4 years ago (which are MBKs) had the two gasket system- chinese engineering. I'm hoping they've improved upon that old system. I used a Clark's crystal, but then the Euro retention ring was too big and wouldn't keep the crystal on- hence the gen retention ring. Then the bezel didn't fit tightly, so I had to find another bezel. But now it's WR.

yikes!! sounds like a long long long project build..fingers crossed that the Clarks crystal or any gen spec crystal would work..

so based on what you're saying, for the Gen subs, the crystal sits on top of the rehaut as well (i.e diameter of crystal and rehaut are similar)..and then a nylon gasket fit over it..

i think BK posted this before..is it like this?

IMG_1803.jpg

IMG_1808.jpg

i dont think the gasket on my MBK is that thick/wide...

also are gen spec crystals like that?

IMG_1189.jpg

the crystal on the MBK is smooth on the sides..no ridges..

You have a picture of the crystal close up showing the ridge necassary for the gasket to seal it. That looks correct. Then you have a picture of a crystal that appears to be flat on the side, no grove, that is in correct. The crystal should have a groove in it, that is for the gasket to seal it when the steel retaining bezel is pressed on. Yes, the crystal should sit on top of the rehaut, then press the steel retainer, with the o-ring on the bottom, over it, all the way down, then put the rotating bezel on, then the insert. Be sure your steel bezel is all the way down and flush with the case.

Myman is correct for sure. No ridge means wrong crystal or bad one.

I started to play around with these "newer'' subs and the technique is basic, but needs to be followed correctly and in order. All works well together to create a mechanical seal that should be as water tight as gen. A little silicone grease on the o-ring for the crystal retainer and nice even pressure. Always check ALL or your seals for grease.