When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rebrushing Rolex lugs - Which Grid to use?

dropbear2008

Im sure your wife buys those finger nail file boards. They come in pink, blue, white and yellow. They are perfect for rebrushing lugs on any watch. When you brush the lug, go from the inside out at an angle. Looks really nice when you finish. You will find the blue leaves the best finish.

For 4 and 5 digit reference numbers (i.e. classic Submariner 1680, 16610 etc):

You will need a special paper.

For refinishing the Rolex Service Centers use 3M 40 Micron Micro Finishing Film. That is actually not paper but a thin plastic sheet coated with some abrasive material with a particle size of 40 Microns. Can be bought from the usual suspects like CousinsUK.

Take a strong and perfectly flat piece of metal and fixate the 3M 40µ sheet to it with double sided tape. Then carefully brush the lugs in the right direction.

For 6 digit reference numbers (i.e. GMT IIc, Submariner Ceramic etc):

3M Green 30 Micron wet or dry paper. Same procedure as above.

• Like 1

Great stuff. Now I would pay money for that thorough an answer on the AP ROO bezel. You can't imagine how many times I have looked at the video of AP making a watch and tried to figure out what grit that sandpaper is when the smith takes two swipes of the bezel on the sandpaper (oops, I mean polishing papers). :bangin:

If you want to do it right (without spending on a buffing wheel & pads), get a Bergeon 5444 fine polishing pad. Ofrei & other watch parts supply dealers sell them.

Find a pic of your watch online & simply copy the direction of the brushing. Use masking tape to block off the polished sections or areas you do not want brushed.

If you want to do it right (without spending on a buffing wheel & pads), get a Bergeon 5444 fine polishing pad. Ofrei & other watch parts supply dealers sell them.

Find a pic of your watch online & simply copy the direction of the brushing. Use masking tape to block off the polished sections or areas you do not want brushed.

I have the 5444s in Fine and Coarse. The Fine is great for bracelets , tried the Coarse on the lugs and it seemed a little too spongie to get a nice straight brush.