When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

702 genuine crown

klocklind1

What is the difference between the 702 and 703 rolex sub crowns?

I just got a very nice 702 crown but my question is IF I can use the standard 703 tube for it to be waterproof or if if must be a special tube for it?

The 702 crown I have screws in deeper ( bottoms ??) on a clarks tube, so some there must be some difference ?

It doesn't work as Woof said and so you are fooling yourself. The 702 crown takes the 7020 tube and it was discussed here as recently as last week. The difference is that the 702 tube has the threads at the bottom of the tube and is smooth on the top end. It has two gaskets inside the tube and the crown has the third gasket at the base of the stem (same as the 703), hence the 'triplock' designation. It has no external gasket at the base of the tube like the 7030 tube. Try reading this discussion.

http://www.rwg.cc/topic/151011-jewellery-and-watch-702-crown/

Ok thanks alligot:) I just read that post!

But I think my crown is a old 703 crown but looks the same as the 702 from the side!!!??

It has a brass tube on the crown and looks very genuine:)

I read in that post that there has been 703 crowns with LOWER crown like the 702 crown!?

How can I be sure that I got a genuine "old style" low coronet crown?

Yes, you probably have the old style 703 crown with what I call the tall coronet. The stem should be silver colored, but it is probably brass underneath as you indicate. The modern 703 crown has been repped, but I doubt that the old 703 crown has been (but who's to say), so what you have is probably an old gen 703 crown. You could post some pics, btw.

rolex20.jpg

this is a schematic of a 701, which is practically a 702 in case you want more detail. you can see how a 703 tube is different in two places, how it screws to the case (flat), and how it screws to the crown (bottom vs top)

Edited by praetor

No it is about as thick as the 703 but still it is much better locking on a vintage sub than the newer 703 crown:)

It almost looks the same as the 702 when looking at it from the side:)

It certainly does look better, as it is OEM spec for the 1970s onwards.

A good way to see if it is gen is to see if it is a wrapped construction - look at the top inside edge of the knurled section as you look into the crown - not sure if that makes sense? Not seen a 'wrapped' rep tall coronet 703 yet?

Often on old OEMs that have been taken off at service, the external wrapping can be gouged, or split. I have 3 pieces in the box now and two are like this - nice and authentic and aged looking though.