When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

account wiped out

van_damme1988

Hi everyone. I have never thought that i could be a victim of an identity theft, but this has changed today. I was working hard as usual, when suddenly my phone started to send SMS that my credit card is in use. I use my credit card rarely and my card was not in use almost past year (unbelievable in this so called modern age). The last purchase was a beautiful rep (how sad). I am not gonna say who was it, because this is unknown at the moment. The purchase was made via one of the biggest trusted dealers. I only hope that this is not the causation. It looks like my card was used to purchase something from an Italian railway company. Bank and the police is actively searching for the trespassor. Just wanted to let you know. Did this happen to somebody?

Similar thing happened to me a few years ago. Used my credit card with a TD, and was signed up for all kinds of crap. Ended up being about $250 bucks. Luckily, my bank took care of it, because nothing matched my spending history. Now everything is done with PayPal if possible.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I would not post the dealer's name until/unless your bank or credit card company verifies them as the thief. 1 of the other manifestations of our modern age is hacking store & bank accounts, which was the cause of my similar credit card problems (twice). In both cases, the bank & credit card company located the criminals & dealt with them. Since then, I use a random credit card generator for all online purchases, which the bank provides (check with your bank to see if they offer a similar service).

• Like 1

Right. i do not want to post the TD's name until the thief gets verified. Purchase itself was flawless and i do not know if the dealer is involved. At this time i want to stay fair to dealer until anything is proved. but i agree that maybe i should contact dealer directly and let him know about the case. he definitely should be aware of this. Anyway my bank is currently working on it and i hope this gets resolved. Although my reaction was fast, the automated telephone answering service added 10 mins and amount of one rep JLC master tourbillon has been stolen.

My credit card company is frequently investigating this kind of fraud. Credit card details are at stake whenever you buy something with a credit card. Even in a restaurant in China a service guy can just quickly write down your details. My bank actually locks my card everytime almost once a year because my number popped up in some list with credit card details. They send me a new one right away and case closed. Although the timing seems fishy your card's details could have been out there for over a year until they were finally bought by some thug.

This happened with another member in the forum. I believe it turned out that the middleman was to blame for the theft. If you search the forum you should turn up that thread.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I had an unauthorized transaction from some African country for a couple of plane tix at several thousand bucks. The CC company called me up immediately and investigated and knew it was fraudulent and stopped payment immediately after confirming with me that I did not make that purchase. They issued me a new card. They said that they'd eat the loss of the transaction, but somehow I don't think that they ever paid out in the first place, or did a charge back somehow. I think they just wanted my eternal gratitude for looking out for me.

Does your credit card have an embedded NFC chip?

nope. it is (or was) usual debit card. did not have those wireless functions.

My bank is willing to give money back. They said that this happens sometimes and reclamation is almost everytime acccepted. But as they have a lot of time, they are investigating slowly. Theit TOS states that such cases have to be resolved in 30 days, more complicated cases in 6 months... Gotta be patient.