When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Got My No Date Sub From Joshua

andresmuro

Hi, I recived my no date sub from joshua on Monday. It took a week from order to receipt. I orderd the extra waterpooofing and regulating. He answered my questions during the ordering process and he is friendly and helpful.

Here is my report. The watch looks very nice and close to the real thing. I am happy with it. I compared it to the gen in the rolex website. The face looks pretty much the same, the font looks pretty close to me. It is also accurate within 4 seconds a day. I regulated it with one of my quartz watches. I dunked it in water looking for bubbles and couldn't see any. I will swim today for an hour and report later.

Here are some minor things, that I don't mind, but others might. The case is for a rep 16610. It doesn't have the pinholes on the sides like the 14060 has. Also, if you remove the watchband it says rolex 16610 in the engraving under the links. Also, the band is a 93250 instead of a 93150. The sticker in the back was also a 16610. So, for the rolex expert that wants an exact match, then, this is not the watch to get.

The band itself feels a little flimsy and light. I my get a black kevlar or rubber band.

This is my report,

Andres

Hi, I recived my no date sub from joshua on Monday. It took a week from order to receipt. I orderd the extra waterpooofing and regulating. He answered my questions during the ordering process and he is friendly and helpful.

Here is my report. The watch looks very nice and close to the real thing. I am happy with it. I compared it to the gen in the rolex website. The face looks pretty much the same, the font looks pretty close to me. It is also accurate within 4 seconds a day. I regulated it with one of my quartz watches. I dunked it in water looking for bubbles and couldn't see any. I will swim today for an hour and report later.

Here are some minor things, that I don't mind, but others might. The case is for a rep 16610. It doesn't have the pinholes on the sides like the 14060 has. Also, if you remove the watchband it says rolex 16610 in the engraving under the links. Also, the band is a 93250 instead of a 93150. The sticker in the back was also a 16610. So, for the rolex expert that wants an exact match, then, this is not the watch to get.

The band itself feels a little flimsy and light. I my get a black kevlar or rubber band.

This is my report,

Andres

Welcome friend. After you satisfy your obligitory Submariner jones, I suggest you indulge in some replica buying of high fidelity copies of decent genuines. The Submariner is basically a 1960s design and while a consumer icon, it's really, IMHO, the McDonalds cheeseburger of high horology watches. The case is small, the bracelet is flimsy in both it's feel and manufacture, and the design is boring.

There are some incredible copies of beautiful genuines here. The Breitling GTs, the Tag Links, The IWC's et al are a far more satisfying replica experience than your garden variety Submariner. Enjoy and explore.

In defense of the replica rolex bracelets, they're very close to the gens in flimsiness and feel. The advantage of this is that they're just as comfortable. The Omegas are very like the gens too and as such are much more substantial and much less comfortable.

My Rolexes are the only watches (apart from my equally-as-flimsy Seikos) that have not had the steel swapped out for leather or canvas.

Saying that the band on a genuine Rolex is as cheap and flimsy as a rep is total [censored]. The feel is completey different from the rep and does not jangle like the reps do. I wear a gen SD everyday and the wear and tear it take has no effect on the surface or build quality. Omega straps mark very easliy as the steel grade is nowhere near the quality of a Rolex band and Rolex reps don't last two minutes before stretching and scratching up.

I agree they do not feel heavy and solid like an Omega band for instance but this does not make them flimsy! What it does do however is make them lighter and much more comfortable to wear day in, day out and that's all I have to add to this overview of a band. :angry:

Saying that the band on a genuine Rolex is as cheap and flimsy as a rep is total [censored]. The feel is completey different from the rep and does not jangle like the reps do. I wear a gen SD everyday and the wear and tear it take has no effect on the surface or build quality. Omega straps mark very easliy as the steel grade is nowhere near the quality of a Rolex band and Rolex reps don't last two minutes before stretching and scratching up.

I agree they do not feel heavy and solid like an Omega band for instance but this does not make them flimsy! What it does do however is make them lighter and much more comfortable to wear day in, day out and that's all I have to add to this overview of a band. :angry:

As a gen and rep Rolex owner I have to agree . . . while a gen oyster bracelet is not particularly heavy, it is substantially better made and has a much better tactile quality than rep bracelets. I'm not going to get into the debate over whether the oyster band is worthy of a $4,000 watch or not . . . this has been brought up 100,000 times and doesn't get any more interesting the 100,001th time. Nor does it seem to affect Rolex sales. All I will say is that people who claim that rep bracelets accurately replicate the feel and quality of a gen either have lost all feeling in their limbs, or else don't know what they're talking about.

I agree with your point that the genuines do have a superior feel than the replicas, but...

The thin stamped steel in the Oyster bracelet clasp hinge is something even Rolex is working to change. The Anniversary GMT in gold has a different design. I don't know if we can expect to see it in the Submariner Oyster any time soon but I know of few who wouldn't welcome the change.

Hollow links might increase the comfort but I don't see how someone can be faulted for associating the hollow design with a lack of a solid feel that most would associate with quality. Pugwash is correct about the linear association between solid, heavy links and a lack of comfort among some wearers, but not everyone is uncomfortable in a bracelet as a rule. I actually prefer a loose bracelet to a tight strap so I like a heavy, substantial, solid link design. A genuine hollow link Oyster bracelet on my wrist feels lightweight and it does make a different sound when it moves, a hollow, higher pitched, tinny, yes flimsy sound that is less appealing to me than the sound and feel of a solid link bracelet.

I think my comments are based more in my opinion that time has left the Rolex line behind rather than an indictment of the watch quality. Yes, they sell every watch they make and most people when asked who makes a great wristwatch would have their name on their lips, but the styling, IMHO, is old and stale. If you had asked me 10 years ago what my fantasy watch is, I would have replied the obligatory gold Rolex President, (and I wouldn't have had a clue who Vacheron Constantin or Patek Philippe was), but today, there's so much fresh, innovative and contemporary but classic design out there that a Rolex is like a Chevrolet to me.

Edited by crystalcranium

I have both a tt and ss gen submariner, as well as reps of each. The recent ss bracelets do not feel any bit different to me than the gen in terms of quality, and the ss rep bracelets have held up every bit as well as the gen to the abuse they get. In fact, I would have no problem replacing the ss band (once it is trashed) w/ a rep bracelet of the quality my reps have.

Clearly, the gen tt bracelet has a different feel than the rep tt bracelet, but only because the gen has much more gold, making it noticeably heavier.

enough bickering, lets see some pics

I tried to take some pictures yesterday but my camera has low resolution, so the quality of my pictures suck. If you look at Joshua's pics for the no date sub, you'll get a good sense. I ordered a black silicone strap. I'll try to get a camera with better resolution and post some pics once I put the strap on.

Andres