When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Old steel...

Nanuq

I don't know about nanuq but ever since I started collecting vintage tudor and rolex, the new ones (sapphire) just don't do it for me anymore. Something missing, not sure what maybe character or uniqueness? There are a few exceptions of course where for instance a sapphire rolex sub with a spider dial or something like that, still manage to have that 'stuff'. All older watches are unique in the way they aged, it gives them all a one of kind of feel. They all have small differences. So for me that's what the newer models lack. Also a scratched up old crystal is way more interesting than a perfectly clear flat piece of glass..

One hell of a birth year watch bud, wear it well.

Also a scratched up old crystal is way more interesting than a perfectly clear flat piece of glass..

Well said. I'm with you, anything newer than "domed plexiglas" just doesn't do it for me.

Here's my favorite, it was scarred to heck from 30+ years of hard use commercial diving and instructing, then Larry tore his foot off in an accident so his diving days were over. At his funeral his wife handed it to me, she said he wanted me to have it. I've got 1,000 hours commercial diving too, so we were comrades but my time was nothing like his.

Anyway, this is how I received it, and the condition it's in now. Rest in peace, Larry.

chocolate_drsd.jpg

finished.jpg

• Like 1

"Maniac"?!

I must say I resemble that comment, thank-you-very-much! :notworthy:

I know for a fact that vintage Rolex will refuse to continue running if they are not used/abused on a regular basis. So mine go mtn biking with me, and to hockey practice, and mtn climbing.

It keeps us both young! :tu:

Thats a super watch there ! nanunq!

Great classic, as always.

Do you have any interest in sapphire crystal Rollies, or are only passionate about the vintages?

Always thought that the 6538 should be reissued so im planning to do it my self using helelarou 6538 saphire crystal sterile case and the only thing it will have is a rolex sub or tudor(logo) chapter dial the rest willbe sterile no ageing at all and although a fantasy 6538 it should look totaly cool! and an addition to our vintage subs with a more modern flavor hell mabe i will do both tudor and rolex as im planning a blackbay style tudor build using a 6538 case .

I hear ya, a Big Crown is next on my list to be checked off. There's just "something" about that big 8mm Brevet. The question remains, should it be a gilt 7924 or 6538? Sadly, it will have to be a franken, no way can I shell out what some gens have been going for!

Something like this... :wub:

post-32-135091257598.jpg

• Like 1

@cc33, we're singing from the same music here. Spectacular 7922! :tu:

Funny thing, I was a gold miner too, running an 8" Precision dredge in the icy waters of Alaska, waaaaaaaaYYYYY out in the bush.

Paid for my college education too. Biggest nugget? 3.1 oz. about the size of my thumb. My meathead brother-in-law took a pic of me holding it, and lost the photo. Boy I'd like to have it back (the photo, not the B-I-L).

Not mine but yes it's gorgeous. I wish I could afford one, but with today's prices that are only going up, they aren't very affordable any more.

Wow, that's got to be one of my dream adventures. Not sure about full time, very very hard work, but just maybe for one season. That must have been really cool. Too bad you don't have that pic it would have been nice to see! 3.1 ounces is a lot for one piece.

Not sure about full time, very very hard work, but just maybe for one season. That must have been really cool. Too bad you don't have that pic it would have been nice to see! 3.1 ounces is a lot for one piece.

Yes, it's the hardest work I've ever done. Excruciatingly hard work. It didn't help that we were breaking ice off the river so we could get to work in our drysuits!

We had spent a couple weeks working our way down through 15' of overburden to get to bedrock, and lying on the bottom were boulders the size of chest freezers. Beneath them was the good stuff... wide cracks in the bedrock filled with blue/black clay. We'd roll the boulders over with a steel pike, then suck the clay out with the dredge. I was down working the bottom and my brother-in-law was topside, when he suddenly cut the engine, stopping my air. I popped my weights and came boiling up out of the river gasping for air and he stood there at the VERY END of the sluicebox, holding a big heavy black lump of clay. There was a golden glint showing from one end and he'd spotted it just before it went out the back, into the river. He polished it off and we had a jumping up and down party right there on the riverbank.

Boy do I have stories to tell about gold mining!

What a great story!! I didn't realize that it was done in rivers. I can't imagine doing that in moving water. I thought it was only done in the Bering sea sort of close to shore where the glaciers have been depositing the gold over millions of years. I guess the same concept would apply to certain rivers. Absolutely amazing. That feeling you had at that moment looking at the nugget and realizing that you found a sweet spot as well must have been a great natural high. That's when all that hard work seems worth it I'd imagine.

Yeah rivers are where it's at... they're constantly reseeded with gold from eroding hillsides. But they're darn cold, glacier fed, and the salmon run up there too. So we'd be working in our orange Poseidon drysuits and a big salmon would run up and BAM!! hit you, trying to assert dominance over "his" river hole. Stinking salmon with attitude.

We were waaaaaaaaaaaaay out in the sticks and it was completely silent at night. We'd play poker for peanuts by the light of a kerosene lantern. One of the guys I mined with had a plastic heart valve, and it was so quiet you could hear his heart ticking. So when he got a really good poker hand we'd hear his heart going TICKTICKTICKTICKTICK really fast and we'd all fold. Hah!