When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Original?

cc33

Wow, it's being sold as a genuine untouched 7928 on vrm and nobody said a word about it.. I left a deposit on the entire watch thinking it was a pristine example.. I guess I should cancel, I was soo in love with it, why wouldn't someone over there speak up if its advertised as untouched original and isn't?

post-38788-0-68517400-1351028739_thumb.j

Mine may be on a far distant end of the "normal wear" scale, but it's verifiably vintage. I'd expect the Rose Tudor to have at least some spiderwebs and cracking.

Oh, and fewer "overspray" specks of lume on the gilt surrounds. :whistling:

Wow, it's being sold as a genuine untouched 7928 on vrm and nobody said a word about it.. I left a deposit on the entire watch thinking it was a pristine example.. I guess I should cancel, I was soo in love with it, why wouldn't someone over there speak up if its advertised as untouched original and isn't?

Most members only check the for sale sections when they are selling or searching for something. If the seller is a long-time member of VRF, you might ask him for provenance.

Hmm... how can you determine the age?

Dials/watches might face very different conditions. How do the watches differ if you take a dial from a 50-year old daily beater or from a 50-year old "drawer queen"?

Here are my vintages. The first one is from my great grandfather and it's about 80 years old. The dial is almost like new.

Borel Nuchatel with Breguet coil.

IMG_4481.jpg

IMG_4491.jpg

This Swiss Choisi is from my grandfather... bought during the WW2. About 67 years old. Shows excessive "patina".

IMG_1100.jpg

Not trying to question your expertise but just thinking loud. :D

I emailed the seller about its authenticity and await his response. He is a long time good standing member over there and I have purchased from him before, (bands,parts) so we'll see. I realize that the condition can't determine authenticity on its own and if the things being sold over there aren't as advertised there is a full refund policy stated clearly.

Beautiful watches by-tor! Stunning

I don't know - to me the 3, 6, and 9 markers look like standard Rolex vintage lume. If you notice, they each look like they were squeezed out of a tube (something I always thought was odd, but most gen NOS samples show that to be accurate). Could be accurate, but like Freddy said, always buy the seller.

I'm going to stick my neck out here and say this dial has been to Kirk Rich.

He will only print/reprint a dial for which you have provenance, and he has the original, genuine pads for most of the vintage dials.

I'll bet this dial was stripped, redone in the original black textured background, and pad printed gilt for what the original would have been. Rolex SA has used him for this exact requirement. All the details are there for a genuine dial, but it's just not old enough. So then it could legitimately be called a "gen dial" though the "untouched" part is an exaggeration.

Then the lume dots were (poorly) applied later, by someone else. Apparently using a straw full of lume, and spraying it in the general direction of the hour plots.

There, I said it.

Lol, sprayed with a straw!! A bit of an exaggeration! But I know what you mean. I have since cancelled the purchase. It is a very nice example but if I'm buying a gen at that price (was on the high side) that isn't 100% original or that I can't really prove is redone or not, i think it's best to stay away. I found this one which was a bit more $ but not much more, and seems to be a better choice. This dial looks to be right. Is this one a relume or is it original? I thought that the sellers would be very forthcoming on vrm but it seems that maybe even they don't know sometimes if something is 100% original.. Shame.

Verdict on this one?

post-38788-0-46829500-1351103569_thumb.j

post-38788-0-88849300-1351103577_thumb.j

post-38788-0-14100000-1351103592_thumb.j

post-38788-0-24166400-1351103605_thumb.j

post-38788-0-18677100-1351103616_thumb.j

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Lol, sprayed with a straw!! A bit of an exaggeration! But I know what you mean. I have since cancelled the purchase. It is a very nice example but if I'm buying a gen at that price (was on the high side) that isn't 100% original or that I can't really prove is redone or not, i think it's best to stay away. I found this one which was a bit more $ but not much more, and seems to be a better choice. This dial looks to be right. Is this one a relume or is it original? I thought that the sellers would be very forthcoming on vrm but it seems that maybe even they don't know sometimes if something is 100% original.. Shame.

Verdict on this one?

This dial hasent been relumed, that is orginal lume!