When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5513 lume colour

dieselpower

I am about to send my ingod44 feet first dial for re-luming. I want it to look authentic for an old dial so don't care about glowing in the dark. The re-lumer has said I can choose my own colour so the question is this: what pan tone colour would you experts recommend for a nice creamy faded 5513 dial that has not been touched by anything other than sunlight for the last 40 years?

Something like this:

post-2563-0-02280900-1351442159_thumb.jp

Something that old should have spent lots of time in the sun. So make the insert match the dial, both looking a little sunburnt, and make the lume slightly creamy colored, just a little darker than the dial paint. This photo makes it yellower than it really is, think "espresso crema" for tint, but this pale. Match the pearl/hands to the dial and you're set.

post-32-135144193445.jpg

On the other hand I have a 1665 from 1971 and its index plots are stark, blazing pure white. Two schools of thought here: 1) lots of sun bleaches the plots, or 2) humidity forces the creaminess.

Pfffffft. What are the chances it's lived it's entire long existence in the dreary UK?

Dreary, dreary! Outrageous!! The country that gave the world Led Zeppelin, Bentley Motor Cars, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Gordon Ramsay can hardly be called 'dreary' - take that back you colonial cousin!

I would stick with white. Artificially colored lume rarely looks authentic to me. And make sure it either does not glow or glows very little & fades quickly.

Do you think I should stick with the colour that the dial comes in ie this:

post-2563-0-70150400-1351458470_thumb.jp

It just looks too pale for me. I really love the cream colour that you see with gen vintage pieces. Maybe I'm mad?

I darkened my Ingod dial mildly, it was white like yours and I "smoked" it a shade darker.....but just a tiny bit.

Now, I'm glad I did.. as the pearl I got later matches well...better than this particular picture shows.

A2824F9E-B2DC-458E-B30B-EE47191287BE-6547-00000AAC26FE7CB3.jpg

Dreary, dreary! Outrageous!! The country that gave the world Led Zeppelin, Bentley Motor Cars, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and Gordon Ramsay can hardly be called 'dreary' - take that back you colonial cousin!

Pffffft! Here's a uniquely British method of maintaining your over-inflated sense of dreary British pride.

(running away chortling)

austin-powers%20penis%20pump.jpg

@ Nook, Darn it - I was looking for that. If I paypal you the stamp money will you post it back to me?Anyway, back on topic, I've also got a yuki pearl on the way to me so I'll be able to have the pearl, hands and dial all done the same colour. Is the 'blank' yuki pearl any good? I know the ofrei pearls are good but I can't bring myself to shell out $65 for one!

DP, I've done several "blank" Yuki pearls and they come out very nice. They may be slightly too large in inside diameter (the internal hemisphere) but not overly so.

Here's a better photo of the Snowflake showing the color with more accuracy. This is a gen, untouched dial. This is also a Yuki pearl I filled with lacquer. It's a "bone" colored offwhite lacquer for refinishing chips in appliances. At first it wasn't dark enough so I stirred in some espresso powder to add tint and to make it appear slightly grainy. <----- process not yet patented

In the first photo the pearl is washed out but the dial/hands tint is spot on. In the second photo the pearl is spot on but the dial is too dark. Blargh!

sf1.jpg

sf6.jpg

Pearl paint is spot on Nanuq. I'm going to look for that paint.

Diesle, Ofrei pearls are 24$ not 65$. If its the shipping killing you, order a pile if tools with the pearls :)

http://www.ofrei.com/page_150.html

Also, no matter what brand you buy get a few extra... those little pearls are like super balls and can be launched into outer space with a tiny one inch drop. :)

You guys are too much.

Patina varies widely and nobody really knows why they end up that way. Matching hands and faded inserts were a rarity up until the last 10 years. It's a vintage phenomena... Or rather part swapped and priced accordingly... :/

My tastes I like vintage egg white on 1665s.

Vintage cream and orange patina on 5512, 5513, and 1655s.

Always matching hands for me, and fat font inserts with a creamy pearls.

I like fat lugs, thick crown guards and sharp edges. Pretty much a clean unpolished baby. Primo example gens is what I like and after owning and selling a couple sweet 5513s I've realized a Franken project will only satisfy my needs for perfection.

OP get what ever color you think looks best!

Pearl paint is spot on Nanuq. I'm going to look for that paint.

Diesle, Ofrei pearls are 24$ not 65$. If its the shipping killing you, order a pile if tools with the pearls :)

http://www.ofrei.com/page_150.html

Also, no matter what brand you buy get a few extra... those little pearls are like super balls and can be launched into outer space with a tiny one inch drop. :)

It is the postage that kills me and, I don't want any tools!