When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sony PSP

thealphabeta

Hey all,

I currently live in the UK and am travelling to New York in a couple of weeks. I fancied getting a PSP for watching movies on my travels and for of course playing games. Has anyone here got one....any views?

Also are they much cheaper in the states than in the UK?

Also are their any incompatibility issues?

Cheers

Dave

i have one... if you want to watch movies, get it in the UK, because movies have region codes and you wont be able to play uk movies with a US psp. it doesnt matter for games though!

PSP is a lot of fun, especialy with wlan and the webbrowser... but unfortunatly there arnt very many interesting games out there yet (i have ridge racer, US Navy Seals SOCOM, GTA) i'm waiting for resident evil and tekken for the PSP

i have one... if you want to watch movies, get it in the UK, because movies have region codes and you wont be able to play uk movies with a US psp. it doesnt matter for games though!

PSP is a lot of fun, especialy with wlan and the webbrowser... but unfortunatly there arnt very many interesting games out there yet (i have ridge racer, US Navy Seals SOCOM, GTA) i'm waiting for resident evil and tekken for the PSP

Ah bugger - so i cant save any cash then :(

Or better yet, get a GP2X.

The GP2X is a linux based system that runs homebrew. Basically it's an emulator system. You can run sega, nintendo, arcade games and more. So your library can contain thousands of games for free (Just download off the net).

It also plays movies, music, photos, can function as a text reader... you can even get a linux console window. If you update the kernel with one that has networking compiled in, you can even get online with it.

Here's more info about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X

I have one that I haven't been using (Too busy with new job). I've tossed the idea around about selling it, but the machine is pretty damn slick that I haven't had the will to do it. I even have the TV out cable so I can play games on my 32" LCD HDTV.

I got mine off eBay and it's been fun so far. Like was mentioned the games for it kinda suck, but I hope for better ones soon. I have Socom, Madden 2006, and Untold Legends. I also bought the movie Friday for it, but haven't watched it yet. The hardest part for me with the games is the controls and I find myself holding it too close to my face when i play for some reason. ;) If you get one you might want to get the giga pack version, the memory stick is nice. So, check on eBay before you go to a local store to buy, I saved about $150 off retail price and I also got 2 games with the unit and some extra accessories too (paid $285 with shipping). ;) It would be nice to take on a plane with you, but get the airline charger and a better set of headphones too. :)

I currently live in the UK and am travelling to New York in a couple of weeks. I fancied getting a PSP for watching movies on my travels and for of course playing games. Has anyone here got one....any views?

I bought one, it got killed by my cats, so I bought another, it got stolen, so I bought another. The cat-killed one got fixed, so we and my Missus have one each. She spends hours on Lumines, whereas I use mine for downloaded TV shows on the way to work. Oh, and Everybody's Golf, GTA3, Ridge Racer, Wipeout ...

Obviously, I'm going to say they're good, but if you get one, get a 1GB memory card. you can fit a movie on 600-700MB in MPEG4 (h.264/aac). I'd not bother with buying movies on UMD unless you can afford it. I prefer to buy on DVD and convert.

I recommend one for travel. I picked one up to kill time in airports and on flights. Battery life is great 4-5 hours. Tiger Woods PGA game is very good. You can buy the movies on UMD format but the selection kind of sucks.

I also picked up a 1 GB memory card for it with the intention on putting other movies directly onto it. It's not as easy as I'd hoped but you might not have any troubles.

Definitely buy a screen protector and a hard case for it. I hear that they aren't so durable if dropped.

I bought one, it got killed by my cats, so I bought another, it got stolen, so I bought another. The cat-killed one got fixed, so we and my Missus have one each. She spends hours on Lumines, whereas I use mine for downloaded TV shows on the way to work. Oh, and Everybody's Golf, GTA3, Ridge Racer, Wipeout ...

Obviously, I'm going to say they're good, but if you get one, get a 1GB memory card. you can fit a movie on 600-700MB in MPEG4 (h.264/aac). I'd not bother with buying movies on UMD unless you can afford it. I prefer to buy on DVD and convert.

which program do you use for video encoding? you have anything comfortable besides pspvideo9? (and maybe faster b/c while being a great program pspvideo9 takes a buttload of time for the whole job!)

which program do you use for video encoding? you have anything comfortable besides pspvideo9? (and maybe faster b/c while being a great program pspvideo9 takes a buttload of time for the whole job!)

I use a dual 2GHz G5 Macintosh and Mencoder (x264), but Handbrake is due out very soon with full AVC-Baseline MPEG4 Part 10 compatibulity using the Videolan x264 project as the encoder.

Oh, sorry, Windows? Er, yeah, PSPVideo9.

Just thinking.....you say buying in the US would be ok but i could only use the games.

However the video situation isnt too big a deal because i dont buy films anyway i rent online. Therefore could i not get the 1GB pack and rip them to the card. That way region isnt an issue....or am i wrong?

Dave

but romors are that you can hook your psp up to the PS3 and use it with the PS3 somehow!

and rumors are also that there will be a connector for TV out very soon, then you'd be able to hook your psp up to the tv and play!