When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another Sean build...

dan_189

Hey all,

Quick question, has anyone had trouble fitting a genuine 703 tube to a Sean case?

Got my watch back the other day from assembly, watch smith did an alright job... He told me he couldnt fit the genuine tube and near destroyed the threads on my Sean tube grrr... Also he couldnt find the click spring in the box I gave him so the bezel wouldnt rotate, he attempted to blame the case!

He could just be incompetent...

Anyway, looking to fit the gen tube sometime next week, just wanting to know if anyone has had any issues or has needed to modify a genuine tube?

Quick overview:

- Sean case

- Gen bezel assembly and insert - Thanks to correcttime for the Retainer, w.genzo for the gen insert

- Gen 93250 and clasp

- Gen crystal and gasket - thanks to LondonGeorge

- Gen 3135

- Gen hands

- Gen crown and Sean tube for the minute

- Gen MK3 16610 "Swiss made" dial

Pics to come eventually!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Holy crap Dan.....this is one expensive build. Your watchsmith needs to tap the case for the gen tube or you can use a rep tube and attach gen crown to it. Easier to go this route.

Back to this build, have you considered perhaps selling these parts and just buying a gen ??

Holy crap Dan.....this is one expensive build. Your watchsmith needs to tap the case for the gen tube or you can use a rep tube and attach gen crown to it. Easier to go this route.

Back to this build, have you considered perhaps selling these parts and just buying a gen ??

Hey guys thanks for the comments :) ill get some pictures up soon!

As for the case/tube situation, its currently got the Sean tube on it with a gen crown but there is an ugly 1mm gap between the crown and the tube when its screwed down.

@rsh could you please give me some more details on what needs to be done? Im assuming that the Sean tube is smaller than the gen tube? Ive had so many people tell me that a gen tube fits :( and lacking watch smith skills im frustratedly powerless! No one in Melbourne wants to touch it because of the case, found one guy, he did a decent job but butchered the threads on my Sean tube...

As for selling it, it was a project of mine and ive become attached! I have considered parting it out, one day I will.

Wow Dan not sure why your case is giving you so much trouble!!! Mine went together like Legos

Its driving me insane! One of the 93250s is in perfectly with a 2mm spring bar, the other side wont stay in unless I use a 1.8mm bar and then its slightly loose! :( then there is the trouble with the tube and the bezel! Arggghhhh rep life!

OK, first look and the Sean tube doesn't appear to be seated in the case- you could countersink a hole in the case so that the tube sits in the case better. But since you're trying to use a gen tube, better to tap the hole like rsh said. And you might still need to countersink a hole so that the gen tube sits in there better. Or maybe the stem is too long and your watchmaker just needs to trim it a little- that's an easy fix.

If you gen bezel assembly isn't going together, you can try sanding the inside of the bezel. It's a slow and tedious job. Or you could sand the 'bezel' edge on the retaining ring. Either way it's slow and you have to keep test fitting as you go along.

With one end link not fitting, you could try drilling it a wee bit larger- maybe towards the case- so that the 2mm springbar will fit in there. Do it carefully or find a decent modder to help.

Edited by alligoat

Thanks for the heads up, is tapping the hole best left up to someone who knows what they are doing?

As for the bezel assembly I went all gen so I wouldnt have any headaches and everything would just work! So much for that!

Drilling out the hole sounds difficult and tedious has anyone done any write ups on the mentioned mods?

Thanks!

Most of the problems you have are easy fixes for someone with the right tools and the right skills. If you don't have the tools or skills, I would send the watch to one of the modders here on the forum and let them do the build for you. i don't know of anyone in Australia, but there are quite a few really good guys here in the USA,Canada and Europe. You have too many really nice expensive components to risk screwing it up and ruining something. :nono:

Im trying to do little as possible to avoid any damage and have been ok so far. But drilling the case isnt something im keen on.

Definitely a gen bezel :) so not sure what the problem is. I havent been able to gen the bezel on when the tension + click spring are there?? Dont wnat to use more brute force :( lol

OK the sean tube is funky.....so is the crown. Sean crown goes down fairly flush but the gen crown does not .....I have seen this. A TC tube or a WM9 tube will do the trick. You remove the sean tube and attach the tube. I think I have a wm9 tube that will work AND accept your gen crown and make it flush. Do you know how to swap out a tube ?