When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

replacement crystal for 1680

Beone21

Hey everyone

I bought a plastic Clark crystal to replace the one on my MBK 1680. But without going gen I think I want a sapphire.

Does anyone have experience with the one ewatchparts offers: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009V0419G/ref=asc_df_B009V0419G2285192?smid=A1S5FZX2RI421&tag=dealtmp451794-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B009V0419G

Or better alternatives? I do not want to spend 250 dollars on gen atm.

From the Ad:

"this sapphire crystal comes with pressure resistant nylon gasket made just like the original. It will make your watch waterproof."

A 1680 doesn't come with a pressure resistant nylon gasket so how is it made just like the original? I would be curious to know if they made the construction to be like a modern sub sapphire for assembly to the case. The nylon gasket fits into a groove in the crystal and then is put down around the lip in the case. The retaining ring works the same way just compressing the nylon ring instead of the crystal.

Interesting.

I can't pull up the link, but the 1680 wasn't made for a sapphire crystal so this is another late model aftermarket adaptive part from wholesaleoutlet990 and that group of scoundrels. You can certainly try it and see if it works, but you might be better getting a sub with a sapphire crystal like a 16800, or a 16610. A noobmariner would be the economy model or something from BK or TC would be a Cadillac. If you keep your MBK in good shape, you could sell it and recoup most of the cost for a BK or a TC.

I just sold a gen T127 for cheap in the JaG auction.  Too bad you missed that.

A gen crystal is obviously better than a Clarks for the first couple months, then they both get a little scruffy and it's very hard if not impossible to distinguish them.

Another thought: a sapphire crystal is great for scratch resistance but they're brittle due to their hardness.  I don't think sapphire is a good idea for a tall "tophat" crystal design.  You whang that tophat sapphire on a door frame one time, and I bet it will chip or shatter.  Mount a sapphire flush to a case though, and it will look great for a long time.