When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP Movement Reliability

51NGH

First thing, you should never manually wind a 7750 movement. Not sure who told you to do it. 

I'm not sure what model you have so it's very hard to know. It could be a number of things from dirt, to lack of oils to a busted mainspring. Whatever the issue is nothing with a 7750 is an easy fix. Send to Uwe.

Thanks for the reply. I have a @12 Model. Bought it a few months ago from Josh (Great Trusted dealer!) but this is sadly the second @12 to die on me. I have tried to contact UWE (sweetwatches) but I have not gotten any contact back. Was wondering if it was not something that I could do with a screwdriver! :)

Indeed hit and miss. Have had a lot of these with seconds @ 12 with the new jeweled movement. I also know some local resellers that stopped selling them, because they could not offer 6 months warranty on these ones.

The extra gears make extra drag on the movement. It takes more power to let the gear train run. The A7750 often are dirty or under/over oiled. Makes it run less good. So also with the extra gears, there you have it: most experience shorter powerreserve, some less than 8-10 hours.

Servicing the movement will solve most of these problems. But that takes an investment of around 200usd. I figure, someone who can pay 500usd for a rep, should take the service cost into serious consideration.

If you want to keep the watch for years, I'd say: service it from day 1.

Indeed hit and miss. Have had a lot of these with seconds @ 12 with the new jeweled movement. I also know some local resellers that stopped selling them, because they could not offer 6 months warranty on these ones.

The extra gears make extra drag on the movement. It takes more power to let the gear train run. The A7750 often are dirty or under/over oiled. Makes it run less good. So also with the extra gears, there you have it: most experience shorter powerreserve, some less than 8-10 hours.

Servicing the movement will solve most of these problems. But that takes an investment of around 200usd. I figure, someone who can pay 500usd for a rep, should take the service cost into serious consideration.

If you want to keep the watch for years, I'd say: service it from day 1.

Talking to the local watch maker here who does my services, he says service when needed! Not before, as if it runs it runs, if not THEN you can still service! Worst thing is the lack of spare parts which might be needed!

• 2 months later...

Talking to the local watch maker here who does my services, he says service when needed! Not before, as if it runs it runs, if not THEN you can still service! Worst thing is the lack of spare parts which might be needed!

Yep you are right buddy, but some people just want to have a reliable watch from the start and not the feeling that any day the movement might be out of order. After a service it runs better and you have a more reliable feeling. Not that every time you look at your watch you might think 'oh it is just a rep that might break any day'.   B)

• Like 1

First thing, you should never manually wind a 7750 movement. Not sure who told you to do it. 

If they weren't meant to be manually wound, Valjoux wouldn't have put manual wind gears into it.

You should be very gentle when manually winding, and generally it's better to let it wind from the rotor just to minimize wear on the winding gears, but there's absolutely no reason to say "you should never manually wind a 7750 movement." Done properly it won't hurt anything.

• 1 month later...

I guess I have major issues with my Juan Pablo Montoya (Ti), purchased last summer from PT. Guess I must have fu**ed up something, when I have carefully winded manually now and then. Have not used it much, until recently. Since it gained very little PR from one day to the next, it usually stopped during the early morning (when I wore it the day before), so I tend to wind it manually in the mornings, when it has been laying unused for some days/weeks. After a while, it felt like something "slipped" when I wound it, so I stopped dooing that. After a while it started slowing down. About 3-4 minutes during the night. And the crown seems to have stripped treads (or the crown tube?) - I fear the treads are Ti as well, and if so, there is nothing strange with the treads beeing stripped, since TI is a rather soft material. As you might now, it scratches quite easily. So now I have a movement that needs service, and possibly I need to change the crown (an easy fix, if one can aquire spare parts) or the crown tube (is it possible to change this?). Crown is not totally busted, it is still possible to screw it in, but only the inner couple of treads are good. So you screw it only 1/4 turn, and it is screwed all in!