When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need Americans Help!

ajoesmith

Hi Guys

well as you may have heard i sold member 'nguyendd' a Rolex Daytona with secs at six and there seems to be a problem with the watch. All is working fine BUT the hour hand seems to be touching the seconds hand and stopping the watch.

Its such an easy fix, however 'nguyendd' has never done any watch work before, I can fix this but since im in Japan and the Japanese customs are getting more and more strict esp. for rolex watches (I had 2 Rolexes confiscated and destroyed this year!!! :black_eye: ) it would be much safer and easier if an American Member could help both of us out.

What im asking is that if a member who can uncase a watch and simply push the second down a little to clear the hour hand it would solve the problem.

Is there anyone out there who is willing to help us???

Please??

ajoesmith,

Honestly, this really is BS ... rather than ask for a board member to step up, maybe you should step up and find out what your customer wants.

Chances are this can easily be resolved by a monetary contribution on your part. :g:

Cheers,

John H.

Edited by johnboy777

...well, not everyone likes to take a fake watch to a watchmaker....

Well they shouldn't be involved in this hobby then.....many members need to stand back and re-examine their views on what exactly they are purchasing......a MECHANICAL / SPRING DRIVEN / GEARED watch......not a quartz which may only need a battery change....!

These items NEED servicing.....if you lived in Churchill, Alaska......and there wasn't a BMW service outlet for 5000 miles.....you wouldn't buy an M6,.......would you......it's really a no-brainer.......if he can't find or won't take it to a watchsmith.........tough [censored].......YOU have to stand up for yourself in this life......you can't expect to be led by the hand....altho some here get led by the nose.....!

Well they shouldn't be involved in this hobby then.....many members need to stand back and re-examine their views on what exactly they are purchasing......a MECHANICAL / SPRING DRIVEN / GEARED watch......not a quartz which may only need a battery change....!

These items NEED servicing.....if you lived in Churchill, Alaska......and there wasn't a BMW service outlet for 5000 miles.....you wouldn't buy an M6,.......would you......it's really a no-brainer.......if he can't find or won't take it to a watchsmith.........tough [censored].......YOU have to stand up for yourself in this life......you can't expect to be led by the hand....altho some here get led by the nose.....!

I love the way you think, TTK :thumbsupsmileyanim: that's rich!

Well live in a rural area and about 45 minutes to the city and the only watchsmith i found was inside a large watch store which carries lots of expensive watch and the watchsmith in there was an employee and he told me that due to store policy he did not feel comfortable working on a replica watches. The last time he resized my Omega PO bracelet he gave me that indication so i would not want to bring anymore replica watches to him.

Glad you found someone to help David, though I personally would not want to get

involved, as David would then have two people to hold up, and you Joe, two people to

pay.

As for the communte, David, 45 minutes for me a a skip down the lane... why not make an afternoon

adventure of it..?.

I have walked into many shops inquiring about rep work... and most don't care,.. it's the money

that matters...

Of course, some of it has to do with your attitude, if you act like it's no big deal, then

most will follow your lead.

Lastly, I say again.. this whole drama with the violins and croc tears about a caseback

removal, with rubber gloves, button push with thick needle, stem pull, a few crono buttons to release,

turning the case over to allow the movement to fall into a palm, a ball point pen case

to secure the hand, then reversing the procedure is boring me to tears.... :yawn:

Did you notice ?? No Tools Mom.... B) and Five minutes of your time,...

Guest watchboy

Personally..... I commend him for making an effort to correct the problem. Mechanical or not, at the very least, I would expect my watch to be in working order when it is received. I think that should be a given.

Things do go wrong in delivery and how a dealer and/or member handles the situation would certainly dictate whether or not I am willing to deal with them again. I had an issue with a PO form Silix; two of the lume had come loose in shipping. Silix said I could take it to a watchsmith and he would pick up the bill and he did. Good move from Silix as I will probably buy from him again and he gets some good publicity.

And I for one would concur with you.......it should arrive functional......if not...a compromise needs to be worked out......but what do you do 9 months down the line...when your ass is in a sling and you have a nice paperweight...because you haven't made any provision for someone to work on your watches......obviously you can use some of the members here who do servicing....but if they drop out....what then.....it's not CONVENIENT to send watches from USA to Japan or Asia......eh....Customs risk etc etc....!

Guest watchboy
And I for one would concur with you.......it should arrive functional......if not...a compromise needs to be worked out......but what do you do 9 months down the line...when your ass is in a sling and you have a nice paperweight...because you haven't made any provision for someone to work on your watches......obviously you can use some of the members here who do servicing....but if they drop out....what then.....it's not CONVENIENT to send watches from USA to Japan or Asia......eh....Customs risk etc etc....!

Speaking of which.... I am thinking of taking the TimeZone watch coarses.... Anybody have some feed back on those?

Things do go wrong in delivery and how a dealer and/or member handles the situation would certainly dictate whether or not I am willing to deal with them again.

There is also another side of the coin, a member's ability to identify and handle the

every day problems that come with a love of watches...

which will demonstrate to a dealer or member if, you are worth dealing with..

This is Not the Mall....

Don't for a moment think that any member, or especially a dealer, will miss

a customer who does not pull his own weight, mis-lables and crys wolf, as the cost in shipping,

and replacment watches for simple problems is a black hole of waste for any dealer, and

at times members..

Now, at this point we don't know for sure if David's problem is complex or simple, however

it would help a great deal if he did know, and maybe, we would not wasting the bandwidth

or time in this thread.... -_- and Joe would not be coming out of pocket for shipping two

additional times and maybe a fee to the fixer.

Come on!

For me the bottom line is a simple one - if you act like a 'Seller', you then take on ALL the responsibilities of a 'Seller' - whether you're selling a hundred watches or just a crown.

As a commercial real estate broker, I've worked with buyers and sellers over the last 25, or so, years. So I think I have a basic understanding of the buyer/seller process.

Personally, my philosophy in every deal with which I am a part, is that everybody wins.

Most buyers and sellers that I work with have integrity (it may just a word on a page - but an important part of how I work) - and as a result want to make sure that any one deal that they participate in does not make for any bad repercussions within our business community.

That being said, if an unscrupulous person enters the fray, it is rather easy for them to use this 'against' the other person, and me, the broker. And indeed, on some occasions, I have been held hostage, by a thief looking to get the very last drop of money on the table, and I have paid rather than have anyone bad mouth me, whether or not I am completely in the right. Of course, neither I, nor anyone else who was a part of the deal, will ever do business with them again.

In business, from my vantage point at least, a person’s name, and rep, is everything.

So I say, however you might want to slice this situation, that's fine - but the seller needs to step up and make it right with the buyer. Why? Because he is the seller, and his reputation (even if its just a cyber community here) is on the line. If you're not a stand up guy over a lousy flippin' fake watch... then when will you be a stand up guy? When it really counts? ….I doubt it.

I see this crap all too often ... people trying to use other people to get out of what is really their responsibility. There are always those that seem to get a sense of enjoyment, satisfaction or accomplishment from twisting situations to their benefit (convincing everyone that black is really white – or the please help me gag) rather than trying to arrive at what is best in any given situation – sorry, no hidden sub-text here.

I guess you could say I’m jaded, or maybe I’ve just got a nose for smelling BS a mile away.

But at any rate, this is only my take on this “very complex” (right!) situation.

Cheers,

John H.

Wow, if you cant even resize a bracelet yourself ;)

I can't change my own oil (well probably can but never tried or learned how).

I can't cut my own hair.

I can't wire my own house.

All these things are probably pretty easy for those who know how to do them... heck there is not much out there that is really hard to do. I bet if any one of us looks at ourselves we will find out that we cannot do numerous fairly "easy" tasks.

For instance people regularly pay me $40 to unjam their computer CD drive when I tell them all I am going to do is stick a paperclip in that tiny hole and they can do it themselves. But they would rather pay me to.

Install a DVD Drive? Unplug 2 cables, swap 4 screws plug cables back in, maybe move a jumper. I will draw you pictures for free. People beg to pay me to come to their house and do it for them.

It's good to step back and look at the big picture :)

Some naive people here, are attempting to place a retail to customer attitude,

into an illegal game of cat & mouse, where every mailing, or notification to paypal

is potential for a bust or seizure.

Smell that ?? <_<

Get your mind, fully around the reality of the situation..

For another perspective that adds fuel to the fire...

EL did not want his post, reposted, however

it needs to be noticed by more than just a few...

I won't point you to it directly,.. however you should be able

to find it...

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showforum=67

These same sort of scenarios are happening to members who

sell as well...

The true big picture, is completing the whole circle from member to dealer,

to member...

Not just half way around....

In other words,...

The community is not just the members,.. but our dealers,.. plus,.. how we deal

with each other and our toys....

There are some necessities that do come along with this game,..It's a simple fact..

How you deal with them, demonstrates your benefit or detriment to us all..

Some take matters in hand and fix the small problems.. Some find someone else to...

Whatever,.. your choice,..

Work it out with whomever you are dealing with...or on your own...

but do it quietly, without mail if possible, leaving the board till the last,

until there is no other choice...

Guest chronomat123

:victory: agreed, RT

Some naive people here, are attempting to place a retail to customer attitude,

into an illegal game of cat & mouse, where every mailing, or notification to paypal

is potential for a bust or seizure.

Smell that ?? <_<

Get your mind, fully around the reality of the situation..

For another perspective that adds fuel to the fire...

EL did not want his post, reposted, however

it needs to be noticed by more than just a few...

I won't point you to it directly,.. however you should be able

to find it...

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showforum=67

These same sort of scenarios are happening to members who

sell as well...

The true big picture, is completing the whole circle from member to dealer,

to member...

Not just half way around....

In other words,...

The community is not just the members,.. but our dealers,.. plus,.. how we deal

with each other and our toys....

There are some necessities that do come along with this game,..It's a simple fact..

How you deal with them, demonstrates your benefit or detriment to us all..

Some take matters in hand and fix the small problems.. Some find someone else to...

Whatever,.. your choice,..

Work it out with whomever you are dealing with...or on your own...

but do it quietly, without mail if possible, leaving the board till the last,

until there is no other choice...

I can't change my own oil (well probably can but never tried or learned how).

I can't cut my own hair.

I can't wire my own house.

All these things are probably pretty easy for those who know how to do them... heck there is not much out there that is really hard to do. I bet if any one of us looks at ourselves we will find out that we cannot do numerous fairly "easy" tasks.

For instance people regularly pay me $40 to unjam their computer CD drive when I tell them all I am going to do is stick a paperclip in that tiny hole and they can do it themselves. But they would rather pay me to.

Install a DVD Drive? Unplug 2 cables, swap 4 screws plug cables back in, maybe move a jumper. I will draw you pictures for free. People beg to pay me to come to their house and do it for them.

It's good to step back and look at the big picture :)

Cutting your hair and turning a screw isnt even the same ballpark! If you cant even do that, you might aswell give your DL away!