When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ingod44 1680 Case (To Use Or Not To Use)

omgiv

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to build a 1680 for some time now but have been missing a case.  I recently saw someone post about Ingod44's cases and decided to take a bite.  Their emails were very prompt and confirmed that it would accept genuine parts.  I tried contacting Yuki but never received anything back after repeated emails.  Here is the case that I received today.  I would like some opinions of whether or not this would be a good case to use for my project.  The case will accept a genuine dial, movement, tube, caseback, crystal (it is a little looser than I would like, but I think it will work), spring bars, and possibly end links (I don't have any genuine 580's right now).  There are only a few things that I would do differently.  One is that there is no ring for a gasket on top of the case under the crystal retaining ring.  I know that the early cases like this did not have the gasket, so it isn't a deal breaker as long as it is water tight.  Another thing is that the lugs have been polished down on top so that they have a slight slope to them.  I would have preferred to see them a little thicker, but I have some genuine pictures of 1680's with cases that look like this after years of use and service.  The last thing is that I would prefer better engravings and a custom serial.  Again, I never look between the lugs so that doesn't matter much.  The inner crown guards actually look okay to me.  I plan on smoothing out the sharp edge on the very outside, but don't want to take too much off because that would then make them too short.  I also plan on smoothing and polishing the sharp edge on top.  I may do some general work on the case so it doesn't look quite so new, but don't want to over do it.  I don't like my watches to look too worn.  I am going more for that fresh from service look.  I am using a new luminova dial, hands, insert, with a new bezel and bracelet.  What do you guys think of the case?  Does the rehaut seem okay to you?  Is there anything that I missed that you would change?  Thanks in advance for taking the time to look and for any ideas/thoughts.

Please excuse the hurried pictures, dust, fingerprints and bad dial (It is an extra one I have)

DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0095.jpg

DSC_0096.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0098.jpg

I bought a 1655 case from ingod44 and I also found the crystal they used was a little loose fitting. I tried a clarks that I had laying a round and it was loose as well. I have another 116 crystal coming from WSO to try. What movement do you have in there if you dont mind me asking?

I bought a 1655 case from ingod44 and I also found the crystal they used was a little loose fitting. I tried a clarks that I had laying a round and it was loose as well. I have another 116 crystal coming from WSO to try. What movement do you have in there if you dont mind me asking?

its a 1570 movement with the rotor assembly removed

Can you also post pics of your 1655 case, will be useful also

Cheers

P.

Thanks for the replies guys! It is indeed a 1570(5) movement with the automatic mechanism removed. It is also a genuine date wheel. Here are a couple of reference pictures. The case is indeed very thin, but would you try to source another case? Thanks!!!! An unmolested 1680 replacement case from Rolex: 6D10190A-2CC2-4994-AA46-053EAFF8D1E6-552 A genuine 1680 case after years of polishing and service: D50F2195-1716-4A9F-84D7-53B79C54A342-552 The Ingod44 case: DSC_0093.jpg

Here's a quick pic of my gen 1680 from 1978- it's been polished, I don't consider it overly, but polished nonetheless

photo-20.jpg

omgiv, the big thing I see is that you need to polish the tops of the cgs over back into the case

rehaut looks fine- my 1680 has a somewhat shallow rehaut

Thanks Alligoat,

I am still on the fence on whether or not I want to use it. Your case still looks a little beefier than this one. I may work on it a little and see if I can make it better. if I don't like it, I can always try and sell it. It certainly is cheaper than finding a genuine case.