When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fakes Are Getting A Serious Problem!

slay

Not Fake watches, but Fake Hardware. I've been trying for soo long to get a hold of a GENUINE Sony Memory Stick Pro DUO 2GB or 4GB for the past month, but it seems IMPOSSIBLE!

All sellers assured me that their product was genuine. Well it was not, it was never!

I started by NOT buying from sellers from the far east, because I do not trust those (I didnt even know there were fakes existing at that time!) I bought from a UK seller. I got the stick, but I was disapointed, the writing speed was awfully slow. Instead of the 80mbit/s I got like 30. The next stick I bought was from a german seller, he promised that his product was genuine (because I found out on the net that there were fake Memory Sticks). The one I got from that seller did not have 2GB it had only 1GB, even though it said 2GB on it.

Then I bought one at a STORE (something like BestBuy). That stick was also FAKE.

It's drivin me nuts! Why is it not possible to get the real deal anymore? I just want a f&§$ing 2GB Memory Stick that WORKS and has full 2GB and 80mbit/s.

This really pisses me off, because 99% of all the Memory Sticks available are fakes and you cant get the real deal anymore. Whats next? I find out my iPod is a cheap fake? Chinese really have to stop this, this is really going to far, if you ask me! Even the stores at the mall only have fake stock. What would you say if your Rolex AD only had Fake Rolexes with asian 21j auto movements?

PS I hope the x-mas theme doesnt last till next summer, if you know what I'm sayin ;)

Ones that are labled 2GB but aren't are obviously vake, but how are you testing the write speed? It's a hard thing to test due to many factors playing a role and the higher rating may be burst instead of sustained write speed...

I have a Genuine 1GB stick, and if I'm able to write a 1GB file on a regular 1GB Memory Stick Duo FASTER then on a High Speed 2GB Memory Stick Duo, that theres something wrong with it! (2Minutes vs. 8 Minutes)

I tested the wirting speed with various Softwares. Writing speed has NEVER varied noticeable with all my other Sony Memory Stick's.

And that was not the only characteristica which leads me to the conclusion that they were fake. If you do some research on the net, you find out how to spot a fake. You can spot a Fake sub at its VARIOUS characteristicas. Though I admit, spotting a fake Memory Stick is not as easy as spotting a fake sub. The best way to spot it, is to cut it open.

I faced the same problem earlier this year when I was looking for a memory stick produo. I bought a 1Gb genuine from a friend who sells gen sony stuff.... he taught me how to tell the reps from the real stuff...

You need to look at the back of the memory stick at the gold contact part... can't remember what the reps or gens were like...but if you post a pic of yours and i post a pic of mine we should be able to tell... there was something about a line running thru the middle the gold contacts if i am not mistaken.... quite hard to spot and you need to hold it under the light.

I sorry I'm just trying to work out why you don't buy from a reputable source like.........ahh.....Sony?

Ken :)

Because I dont live in a Mayor City where we have a Sony Center. I already went to stores sort of like BestBuy, what else can I do? Even those stores only have fake stock and aparently they dont even know it!

I agree with Ken, If I had the problems you are experiencing...I would just pay the price and purchase one from Sony Direct! And also Sony charges like 3x the price if you buy directly from them.

What would you say if you'd buy a Rolex from WEMPE or Tourneau and when you find out it's fake, ppl tell you "Why didnt you buy from Rolex directly?".

You just dont expect an Armani suit to be fake when you buy it at the Lafayette in Paris. And neither do you expect a Memory Stick to be fake when you buy it at BestBuy!

-MM

See above!

I faced the same problem earlier this year when I was looking for a memory stick produo. I bought a 1Gb genuine from a friend who sells gen sony stuff.... he taught me how to tell the reps from the real stuff...

You need to look at the back of the memory stick at the gold contact part... can't remember what the reps or gens were like...but if you post a pic of yours and i post a pic of mine we should be able to tell... there was something about a line running thru the middle the gold contacts if i am not mistaken.... quite hard to spot and you need to hold it under the light.

I'll try this tommorrow, but there are various "generations" of fake Memory Sticks. Just like it is with the reps. They fix one flaw and make another and so on.

I wouldnt even care if it was fake, if it had the poromised Writing Speed which I need. The problem with these fakes is just that they dont work properly.

In that case maybe you should go for the High Speed Memory stick reps... they are not as fast as the real sony high speed but maybe it can match the normal one.

I got the High Speed rep, but the ones I got either had only half (or less) the capacity OR only 10mbit/s.

But I need at least 60mbit/s

goddamn it, I hate all those f'in crooks on eBay, EVERYONE is selling fakes, FAKES FAKES FAKES, even the Sandisk sticks are all fake. JESUS CHRIST!!! Some even send sticks with Viruses and Trojan Horses on them

The next one that sends me a fake stick, I'm going to report to sony and the authorities.

Not Fake watches, but Fake Hardware....the writing speed was awfully slow. Instead of the 80mbit/s I got like 30.

So much unlike fake watches, which for some reason often tend to be too fast...I suppose regulating memory card would be bit more involved then regulating an asian 21J fake watch :lol: