When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Removing and Replacing Tritium lume

Ronin

I am making my next progression in WISdom.

I have the need to remove Tritium dial plots.  Any suggestions?

In replacing said Tritium, any recommendations for its replacement.  It does not need to glow, or can be low intensity to match a vintage dials age.

Thanks,

Is it lume directly applied to the dial, as per the 6542 and 1675, or in markers as the later 16610/16710? Directly on the dial may be difficult without ruing the dial. I would try a toothpick to see if the lume will easily separate from the dial, carefully scraping it.

For relume I use a water based acrylic 'glow paint' that gives a decent glow for vintage use. 00713-0003-2ww-m.jpg

You can tint it to color using a kid's 99¢ paint set. 8WEB998.jpg

I use a very small chunk of brown to get the creamy color. If you've done luming you know what to do. If not, it takes some practice. I've tried all sorts of tools to apply it, needles, oilers, toothpicks, but have the best result using a nib pen like for calligraphy.  That gives me the best control. The round markers are easy, just flatten the tip of a toothpick to size, dip and touch the spot. It leaves a nice round marker. Keep a wet tissue handy, mistakes can be simply wiped away and you get a do-over - or several. 

• Like 1

Sorry guy's but nothing beats the real stuff. Just buy yourself a Tritec superluminova starter kit with C1 SuperLuminova. You can use all kind of pigment pulver to change the color in whatever you want (it will glow less thoug if you do that). The good tritec binder gives you an excelent result what cannot be compared to anything else.

Bergeon 5680 Luminous paste.

You mix with a bit of water (& paint, if you want to simulate patina) &, when dry, it looks similar to tritium with a soft glow that quickly fades within a minute or so.

Alternatively, a mixture of (non luminescent) paint & your choice of granular material, which is what I prefer, can, if done well, yield very accurate-looking 40+ year-old tritium. Art/artist supply shops sell everything you need.

• Like 1

MyCornino.jpg

I would describe the lume I use as freddy wrote, "it looks similar to tritium with a soft glow that quickly fades within a minute or so...if done well, yield very accurate-looking 40+ year-old tritium." The Glow Paint does have that "granular" look when dry. It is what I use in the 6542 inserts as well for that very reason.