When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex 1665 GWSD - My Franken MBW - Available for rotation again!

Mapman57

This piece has undergone a little calendar wheel gear repair (nice snap at 12 and quick set at last!) and an install of a vintage crimped 703 crown (gen tube already installed). Tested to 10 ATM and ready to go.....

I think I may have made a mistake installing this crown, as when you look at it in the enlarged Macro pics - it looks quite battered! :mad:

I had a Gen 704 installed before, which probably matched the look I was after better - 

1978 5.3 M series back from the RSC some years back with:
Gen modern service insert
Superluminova service dial
Service crown etc etc

The new crown is now aged and out of synch with the rest of the watch - what do you think?

Sharing a score of Blackberry Curve quickies. 

SDC18698.jpg

SDC18696.jpg

SDC18694.jpg

SDC18693.jpg

SDC18689.jpg

SDC18687.jpg

1979 Snowflake and 1978 GWSD

SDC18679.jpg

SDC18678.jpg

SDC18673.jpg

Vintage crimped wrapped 703 with tell tale signs of outer skin wear 

SDC18672.jpg

SDC18671.jpg

And guess what? Look closely..........correct GWSD case back and bracelet set up

SDC18669.jpg

SDC18668.jpg

SDC18664.jpg

IMG-20120701-03629.jpg

IMG-20120701-03633.jpg

SDC18663.jpg

SDC18661.jpg

SDC18659.jpg

A few spare parts left after the movement service - where do these go? :undecided:

SDC18699.jpg

Hope you like it as much as I do............ :D
  • Like 1

Thanks for the input guys -

@Stephane - kind words

@Daniel and @Freddy - I agree!

From the side elevation on the watch the wrapped 703 looks good, in the macros and from above - it looks too old!

I might just pop the 704 back on for now and do as Freddy suggests. I have a few more wrapped 703's but all are equally worn - great for old tool watches.

Here it is before the swap, with the 704 set up (on a Rep 93150/580 set up).

This way it looks like it might have sneaked in for a Superluminova service dial, insert and crown swap?  :g:

SDC15955.jpg

SDC15936.jpg

I do not usually disagree with Stephane, but, in this case, I have to. The crown looks too worn for that watch. I would either beat up the rest of the case to match the condition of the crown, or, better yet, keep an eye peeled for a gently worn crown.

I understand what you mean Fred.

But I must add that if I had to choose, I'd prefer a beaten one.

Or slightly beaten...

It makes no sense to have "a brand new looking vintage Rolex" in my humble opinion.

Lovely Watch! Given the condition of the rest of the watch, the crown looks too beaten up.

As said above.

How about make the rest of the watch a little more "worn"?

I would suggest bending the end links a bit so that the end link tips sit below the case edge.

Thanks for the input - they do not look great in the pics do they? These are actually quite new Gen 585's, which you probably know hold a crazy value - I will not be bending them!

I think the issue is that I threw the bracelet on for quick pics and the pins (which are also Gen Rolex) are not fully aligned and pushed through. Normally you can see the tips in all four positions and the EL's sit really nice - as they should do.

I do not usually disagree with Stephane, but, in this case, I have to. The crown looks too worn for that watch. I would either beat up the rest of the case to match the condition of the crown, or, better yet, keep an eye peeled for a gently worn crown.

I was thinking the same, what one has to do for a crown to look like that in the first place, I can only imagine how the whole watch should look to match the crown. it look like someone took It out chew it off and the put it back.

It makes no sense to have "a brand new looking vintage Rolex" in my humble opinion.

Actually, it does because, typically, crowns get replaced during normal service. So it is quite expected to see a brand new 704 on a freshly serviced vintage sports watch. The opposite - having an old, beat up crown on an otherwise, pristine watch - makes 1 wonder. :g:

It makes no sense to have "a brand new looking vintage Rolex" in my humble opinion.   As said above. How about make the rest of the watch a little more "worn"?
I prefer my vintage to be safe queens as opposed to beaters. I would never deliberately "beat up" my watch.

Actually, it does because, typically, crowns get replaced during normal service. So it is quite expected to see a brand new 704 on a freshly serviced vintage sports watch. The opposite - having an old, beat up crown on an otherwise, pristine watch - makes 1 wonder. :g:

Thanks - if you look at the latter pics added, the 704 is in situ. I was trying to get the look of an almost 'safe queen serviced' watch.

One with a rare luminova service dial, service insert and service crown.

However, I picked up a bag of old wrapped 703's and wanted to see how the profile looked - if anything looked really different?

I will keep a look out for a better condition wrapped 703 - if anyone has one spare please PM me  :)

Here is a link to a Gen watch which is close to my own build - this is the style I wanted and feel it is quite close?

http://www.watchblog.dk/pictures/gallery/1665/index.html

Edited by Mapman57

Thanks for the input - they do not look great in the pics do they? These are actually quite new Gen 585's, which you probably know hold a crazy value - I will not be bending them!

I think the issue is that I threw the bracelet on for quick pics and the pins (which are also Gen Rolex) are not fully aligned and pushed through. Normally you can see the tips in all four positions and the EL's sit really nice - as they should do.

I have a pair of gen 585's on my GW MBW as well and they are not a perfect match. I think its the shape of the MBW lugs that needs a bit of love. Ive been meaning to reshape mine for years now but nevet gotten around to do it.

Lovely piece you've got mate!

Here is mine with the gen end links

025c583e.jpg

Well you have a point indeed.

It's just that all tastes exist and I really don't bother having a beaten watch at all.

I have a pair of gen 585's on my GW MBW as well and they are not a perfect match. I think its the shape of the MBW lugs that needs a bit of love. Ive been meaning to reshape mine for years now but nevet gotten around to do it.

Lovely piece you've got mate!

Here is mine with the gen end links

025c583e.jpg

Lovely piece Solks - tempted to fade down my insert as well - great shade - decisions, decisions!