When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How To Remove Back From...

Bansenshukai

I acquired a vintage (1940 - 1950's) Omega. It is a hand wound watch. Well, I banged it too harshly against the side of my closet by accident and the minute hand fell off. Now, I have the tools to put it back in place, but I'm not sure how to remove the back. The back has no markings except a small inscription that says "18 KT" inside of a engraved box. So, I tried to turn it to remove it, but have gotten no effect. Do I pry it open? How do these things open? I don't want to try the wrong thing and break it. Thanks in advanced.

If it's a snap back, which I would suspect it is, then DON'T use a sharp knife or a razor blade or you will certainly damage the case. What you need is a Bergeon (or similar) case back opening knife which is especially designed to do the job. They are not expensive, but being like a blunt knife will allow you to twist of the case back without damage to the case.

What you need is a Bergeon (or similar) case back opening knife which is especially designed to do the job.

Or, what we in the IT trade call a "Black Stick" which is a nylon stick used to pry laptop cases and iPods apart.

@Nouns Defions, is your name a pun on something? It sounds like you wanted a military name like "Nous Defions" but ended up with a pun about being decidedly defiant with your fellow words. :D

If it's a snap back, which I would suspect it is, then DON'T use a sharp knife or a razor blade or you will certainly damage the case. What you need is a Bergeon (or similar) case back opening knife which is especially designed to do the job. They are not expensive, but being like a blunt knife will allow you to twist of the case back without damage to the case.

Never had any problems with this before... Have used a razor to start a gap for a blunt edge with much success...