When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex buckle/strap. What watch would you wear this with? Watch photos !

panerai153

Got another "project' watch coming should arrive the same time as my Tudor 7924. In anticipation of the watch, I decided to bid on a strap/tang buckle on Ebay. I "sniped" the auction and won it, wasn't cheap, but it should be a nice addition to the watch. This particular watch is normally worn on a 18k gold bracelet, but even though I have had two genuines on bracelets, years ago, I'm not really into making that sort of statement today. having looked at these watches over on the VRF for the past few months, I have seen more and more of them on nice straps with Rolex buckles.

Here are the strap/buckle photos. Name the watch!!

post-327-0-15399400-1361245899_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-07919100-1361245905_thumb.jpg

post-327-0-33839500-1361245916_thumb.jpg

I have one just like that.

I wear it on my TT 1500 Date, smooth bezel, Looks really dressy.

Difference between that one and the one I have is that the one I got is original to the watch 1978 or so. The strap is newer, but the buckle has a little indent on the crown for the prong of the buckle to rest in. If i get a chance i'll post a pic of it.

Gorgeous catch!  I have one similar that I swap out on my datejust - with silver face, gold markers/hands.  I really liked the look of the Hamilton thin-o-matic I have that's got a similar dial and 10k case, so I swap out the jubilee from time to time with this. I think it's pretty classy that way.

great photos, and you are right. Back in the old days when I was young and foolish and really thought people noticed what you wore, drove or lived in, I had a couple of gen day/dates with the 18k yellow gold "president" bracelet. Now that I'm older, I realize that I really don't care for that much bling. In fact  I stayed away from the Day dates for a long, long time, because i felt like they were just a little too flashy. lately, I have been seeing more and more come up over on the VRM either as head only, or on a nice strap. I thought I would try one on for size. Not a gen this time, but a built just for me y/g, gen champagne dial, gen crystal crown and bezel. Should be here Friday or Saturday when it gets here, I'll post some photos.

I have always liked Rolex sport models on a s/s bracelet, but I tend to think that dress watches look better on leather, just my preference.

Here is an update on the project as usual with modded reps, there is always going to be a glich or two in the process. At any rate Matt (mymanmatt) built the 18038 for me, using a gen spec case he sources, a Swiss ETA  2836  movement, genuine dial,genuine crystal 10K bezel and crown. He sent me a photo of the finished watch, and it looks really nice. Well he test ran the watch for a couple of days and everything semed fine. He got up Wednesday morning and the Day wheel had only turned over half way to Wednesday. Took everything apart, couldn't find anything wrong, so he's holding on to it now and running it to see if it does it agan, or was this just a one time deal. He's built a bunch of these as well as Dj's so he's very familiar with the watch. As usual my luck with builds!! Hopefully he will get everything sorterd out in a few days, and my Day Date will join this nice buckle/ strap on my wrist.

Incidently my 2500th Post !!! Took me almost 7 years to get here, but it's sure been fun.

Looking good A! That gen spec case looks nice- I like the flatter area between the lugs- just like the Rolex 18K cases

Thanks,

Matt lives up in Dallas, i believe that over the years, he has built a bunch of these as well as DJ's. Heck, you live in Houston, you know Texas is the Rolex capital of the world!! I don't know about now, but back in the 80's when the oil business was booming (Before the crash in the mid 80's) You weren't an oilman unless you had a Rolex "President" and a pair of Alligator boots!!