When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best GMT Rep

kramerica2

I'm looking to expand my collection with a nice GMT. I'm looking for the most accurate GMT rep out there, looks and reliability are also important. I'm not doing any mods, so it needs to be as accurate as possible OOTB.

I thought about the GMTIIC, but it's not accurate at all, and can be called out even at real world situations. Anything better out there?

Thanks..

There is/was a PAM 029 for sale on the sales forum, it has been extensively modded., but it's as close to gen as you are going to get. Another option, but not "off the shelf" is the older Rolex 1675. It uses the same hand stack as the rep's with ETA movements, so it's very close, if the right guy builds it.

What about the current crop of GMTIICs is 'not accurate at all'?

Thin, greyish marking on bezel instead of glossy white. No AR on cyclop. Wrong date font and size. ICHS. Thin hours markers.

With a Rolex you have to be much more careful, since it's an immediate suspect for a rep. IMO an accurate rep is a one that can't be called out at any reasonable real world situation. The non-AR'd cyclop for example, is very noticeable at real life and the same goes for the grey bezel markings. I hope that you're going to prove me wrong here, and there might be a version I'm not aware of out there, but unless there is - I have to pass on that GMT, and that's too bad - It's my favorite GMT by far, and I really want it to be my first Rolex.

Guest zeleni kukuruz

Thin, greyish marking on bezel instead of glossy white. No AR on cyclop. Wrong date font and size. ICHS. Thin hours markers.

With a Rolex you have to be much more careful, since it's an immediate suspect for a rep. IMO an accurate rep is a one that can't be called out at any reasonable real world situation. The non-AR'd cyclop for example, is very noticeable at real life and the same goes for the grey bezel markings. I hope that you're going to prove me wrong here, and there might be a version I'm not aware of out there, but unless there is - I have to pass on that GMT, and that's too bad - It's my favorite GMT by far, and I really want it to be my first Rolex.

Sounds like you are moving along with crowd of people having gen watches. With reps its always going to be flaws especely with reps directly from the rep factory. If you want it more acurate you need to mod it with gen parts.

You can always search here and see for yourself, another way to go is a vintage build gmt, these can be more acurate but it costs money!

Best thing for you is probebly getting the real deal the gen. The you can sleep good at night!

Look here, member and friend Relaxman just hade this vintage gmt made by Rolexaddict, this is how good it can look, and i think this is the nicest rep gmt on rwg right now :) it looks amazing!

post-33845-0-33674200-1361431628_thumb.j

post-33845-0-91090600-1361431636_thumb.j

post-33845-0-59680300-1361431644_thumb.j

Sounds like you are moving along with crowd of people having gen watches. With reps its always going to be flaws especely with reps directly from the rep factory. If you want it more acurate you need to mod it with gen parts.

You can always search here and see for yourself, another way to go is a vintage build gmt, these can be more acurate but it costs money!

Best thing for you is probebly getting the real deal the gen. The you can sleep good at night!

Look here, member and friend Relaxman just hade this vintage gmt made by Rolexaddict, this is how good it can look, and i think this is the nicest rep gmt on rwg right now :) it looks amazing!

It is an amazing piece... 

However, you got me all wrong. I still have many reps and I don't mind minor flaws. Like I said a minor flaw is one that can't be noticed at a reasonable real life situation. I think we got to the point that most of the good reps that are coming out of the factories in the last couple of years, are good enough to pass that rule. I'm not looking for a rep that would pass a close up check next to a gen by an expert. All I want is something that won't scream "REP".

AFA GMT's are concerned,I'm not sure that you are going to find one that's good enough to passs muster "out the  box" . As I said before vintage 1675's and some modded GMTIIC's are pretty darn good, like the 1675 Zeleni pictured. The hand stack problem is probably the only thing that will be a tell on a later Rolex GMT, AR'ed crystals are avaialble, the bezel markers can be repainted with platinum paint, so it's doable, not just straight from the factory however

Although I did replace the bracelet (with a custom rubber strap), crown/tube & xtal (with gens), my 3-4 year-old GMT2C is from the original run & I think it looks pretty accurate

Beautiful piece, but you made some expensive mods there, and there's still one mod missing (bezel) in order to dismiss the big gray markings tell. I can get past the ICHS, since it's really not noticeable in real life. Isn't there any other GMT watch from any other brand that's more accurate than the GMTIIC?

The Omega Seamaster GMT's are fairly decent out-of-the-box.  The blue faced "bond" one I have has the HE valve slightly off and the poor pearl that's suspect on nearly every non-super version Omega, but the dial is outstanding and the crown guards are too.  The bracelet is pretty accurate too. 

IMG_2590.jpg

The black faced versions are equally good, especially if you can find one with the proper 2 color 8 and 6.  Silix has one OME088 for $78 bucks.  Not a bad watch for that little money.

http://www.silix-prime.co/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_231&products_id=2309

The Omega Seamaster GMT's are fairly decent out-of-the-box.  The blue faced "bond" one I have has the HE valve slightly off and the poor pearl that's suspect on nearly every non-super version Omega, but the dial is outstanding and the crown guards are too.  The bracelet is pretty accurate too. 

IMG_2590.jpg

The black faced versions are equally good, especially if you can find one with the proper 2 color 8 and 6.  Silix has one OME088 for $78 bucks.  Not a bad watch for that little money.

http://www.silix-prime.co/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_231&products_id=2309

Is this one with display back? Link to the product?

My first rep is the same bond GMT from watcheden (cheapo version $108). But that one sucked with bad crystal, wrong HE valve position, wrong GMT hand and bad date window outline (curved instead of straight). And I think all of these have wrong case height.

Is this one with display back? Link to the product?

My first rep is the same bond GMT from watcheden (cheapo version $108). But that one sucked with bad crystal, wrong HE valve position, wrong GMT hand and bad date window outline (curved instead of straight). And I think all of these have wrong case height.

Yes, it has a display back.  I bought it from Andrew years ago, and yeah, it was something like $108 at the time.  I couldn't find currently listed on his site.  The only issue with this GMT hand is it's a tad too long.  On the gen, the tip comes just below the 24 hour numbers.  On this, it goes about 1/4 of the way through them.  If you want to really get anal, the angle of the points on the hour and minute hand are off too.  But I've been really happy with this, especially on a price/value point.