When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any one own an Orient watch?

TheRefinedSon

Just picked up an Orient Mako after reading a lot about them. Figured I'd put it in rotation as a daily beater. Really disappointing. The watch arrived and its not working first off. It has no manual wind feature so I spun it around for a few minutes and set the time and it will run for a little while and stop so, power reserve nonexistent. I'll have to send it in for repair. The band is about the cheapest thing I've seen on a watch. I sized it and where the band meets the lugs is loose and rattles. Its light, low quality and generally cheap feeling and looking. The bezel is difficult to turn and very difficult to grip because of its smooth edges and polished coin edge. Its a good looking watch and I like its quick day set feature. The lume is good and very readable too. My Invicta Abyss Pro Diver was a better day date automatic watch by far. I don't know what all the hype about this watch is. It seems to make it into a lot of peoples top ten of affordable divers watches. Color me not impressed.

post-43159-0-11730200-1361565544_thumb.j

Edited by TheRefinedSon

I think your experience is out of the norm. Orient make some very robust watches. The orient star line is incredible.

Sorry to here you either got a bad apple or a return that wasn't marked as such

Did you buy it new or used. If you brought it new send it back.

If you brought it used that maybe your issue

I'll get it repaired and then throw the watchband in the trash and replace it with a rubber strap or nato. As I said, good looking watch and the lume is bright and readable, but that bracelet and bezel. Oh well, for the price I paid I figured I'd forego a rep and get a decent quality diver. Quality on this piece just isn't up to snuff. 

Refined both Sgtguk and myself have the Mako XL here http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/155542-planet-orient-mako-xl-mini-review-pics-heavy/  we are both happy with it. As far as bracelet took mine off treated with "Clean Ride" now much better ,Sgt but his on the nato. Well recievied at other RWG also by Balad and some others, guess you got a bad one.

No Orient but I have always liked the look of them, they are classic and just different enough from the sub. I have a couple of Invictas, both with the Seiko NH35A movement (manual wind/hacking) and they are fantastic for the price. holding them up to a $300 rep though and they are quickly put to shame, the bracelet is cheap and light feeling, no AR and no saphire crystal, they just can't stack up in the looks department.

I reckon Orient are pretty underrated for the money tbh   ;)  I've had mine a few weeks only but so far so good mate, did you get yours used?

I wouldn't think it will be that hard to get it fixed, most shops can do it for you and mate to make you feel better I picked up a Frederique Constant piece recently and guess where that one is atm :huh: Yes in the dealer having the chrono sorted as it jams up within a few sec, bloody watches be the death of my wallet!

Bracelet it is quite well made for the money but I put mine on this instead   :inverted:

(borrowed pic)

OrientOrangeMakoXL_zps4b92dff6.jpg

Holy sh*t Sgt already at the watch-smith that su*ks. :cry2:  what 2-3 weeks and that was no cheap piece folks as I shipped from USA to the Sgt as  they would send OZ from here. So it can happen to a watch at any price point , although the Sgt has cause to be pissed big time. :frusty:

You definitely got a bad one.  Maybe it was a cheap rep? ;)   I owned a Mako XL and absolutely loved it.  Sold it because the orange dial made it hard to wear.  The bezel was one of the better ones I've owned.  The bracelet was really nice - solid end links, easy to micro adjust, and a diver's extension if I remember right.  The Mako watches in general are really good watches, your experience is definitely not the norm.

I'll get it repaired and then throw the watchband in the trash and replace it with a rubber strap or nato. As I said, good looking watch and the lume is bright and readable, but that bracelet and bezel. Oh well, for the price I paid I figured I'd forego a rep and get a decent quality diver. Quality on this piece just isn't up to snuff. 

If you plan to take that watch in the water, please take a close look at page 2 of the manual.  The Mako series (caliber 46943), 200m water resistant is recommended for skin diving/snorkeling only, NOT suited for scuba diving.  I was about to buy an orange "Planet Orient" until I read that interesting little item!