When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6536-1 "ugly" dial self restoration

cc33

I picked up this old 6536-1 dial from vrm last week partly because the seller called it ugly and partly because it was cheap. Anyhow it ended up being pretty bad in person. I have heard back from 2 dial restoration company's, Kirk rich being one of them and Bob Ridley the other. They both said that after inspecting the pictures I provided that the dial was beyond a good cleaning.. It would have to be redone. I asked if there was any way to save the dial and just clean the crud off because I like the dial itself. The answer I got was no, the dial would be ruined in the process of cleaning it. The crud was too 'baked' on in their opinion's. So I decided to try cleaning it myself. I figured the worst that would happen is that I would ruin it and just have it redone. I took some canola oil which was the only oil I had, and gently covered the dial with it. Slowly but surely the "stuff" would loosen up and with the help of a handful of qtips I managed to get it all off!! It took a few hours but now it's all gone and the dial looks much better. I had no idea that it would work but I'm so glad that it did. Now to find a case and all the rest. The pics are mixed up but I'm sure you can tell which are before and after

post-38788-0-78360800-1362105717_thumb.j

post-38788-0-99445600-1362105803_thumb.j

post-38788-0-71970300-1362105986_thumb.j

post-38788-0-49426900-1362106032_thumb.j

post-38788-0-12663400-1362106216_thumb.j

I like the look a lot and it's always amazing how the lettering somehow holds up. You're going to have to really age the crap out of the case ;-).

Thanks, the reason it holds up is because it's under a layer of lacquer. If this was a printed dial it wouldn't have worked. I kind of thought it would be ok as long as I was gentle

Guest zeleni kukuruz

I like the look a lot and it's always amazing how the lettering somehow holds up. You're going to have to really age the crap out of the case ;-).

Dosent have to do that! I have seen [censored] up dials in mint cases :)

Super dial ! we are always trying to make so called redone dials look like that get a decent case and find a gen rolex movement ! the dial deserves only the best !

That really shows just how gorgeous the gilt lettering can be.  :tu:  My 6536 has that same rich deep gold color, but the gilt 1675 in comparison looks like cheap brass shining through.

It will be fun to watch this one come together.

Excellent work! I have to say that this forum and a few others have the most passionate people when it comes to watches. It is posts like this that keeps me coming back.

Thank you for taking the time to share your work and your passion.