When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1655 Explorer II "Guru's" opinions/advise/expertise needed Please.

correctime

I've recently taken an interest in the 1655.

Would an older BK Noob Exp.II be an acceptable case to start with ?

Would a gen 16570 case work better if using a gen 1570 mvt., maybe NDT bezel,  dial, and hands be a nice build or is using rep cases the way to go ??

(the gen 16570 has luig holes already)

I've always loved the look of the "McQueens" but would rather a sapphire....I'd end up scrathing up a plexi pretty fast I thing.

Opinions....suggestions....experienced advice....all greatly appreciated

Remember the 1655 is a plastic crystal watch. You can always start with the rep from Josh and see how you like it. More expensive options exist like yuki, NDT and Phong but they will require more money.

Some nice frankens have been built- you might try searching and see if you can find a few of them.

Thanks for the input guys.

If I start with a gen case it'll be the 16570 case as that's the only gen case I have that would come close to the 1655..

Would it be a good case to start with ?? Im planning to stray from the original 1655 by using a 295-C sapphire on the build.

Can this conversion from plexi to sapphire even be done on the Josh/Cartel offerings ??

I'd only use a gen 1570 mvt if I used the gen 16570 case. (IF a 1570 would even fit in an Exp.II case).

In a rep case the current ICHS 2836-2 would be acurrate to the HS of a 1570 GMT.

Thanks again for the expert guidance.

What you need is a 1575 GMT movement; a 1575 is a 1570 COSC movement with date complication (but there are lot of 1575s out there, that are stamped 1570, but technically it is a 1575).

Do you have a 1575 GMT allready? If not I would think about it twice, they go for +$2.3k here is an example http://www.ebay.de/itm/VINTAGE-ROLEX-26JEWELS-SELF-WINDING-GMT-MOVEMENT-1570-/271157065006?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2238752e

Do you want to build a 1655 with a sapphire crystal ?

WSO on eBay sellers a sapphire crystal that fits a 1655/1675 case that has the same profile and fit as the acrylic 116 crystals if you go with a 1655 case and want a sapphire crystal.

Thanks for the info.

Do you have any idea whether it'll only fit certain rep cases or is it a gen spec crystal ?

I know very little regarding the plexi's and models they were used in :)

• Like 1

All great information here guys....and thanks.

No...I don't have a gen 1575 mvt...it was just a thought if I went with the gen 16570 Exp.II case.

(and I'm now thinking that'd be a waste of funds seeing as how I'm straying from the original by wanting to use a sapphire crystal so it won't be all acurrate)

I do have a BK Noob Exp.II case (older discontinued model) that I know to be gen spec enough to accept gen dial (27.3mm) crystal, bezel and 5330 tube.

Of course it has non-holed lugs....so perhaps I should take the advise of alligoat and give a Josh complete watch a test drive ???

(will the Josh case accept a Yuki/NDT or other gen size dial and gen spec crystal, conversion sapphire crystal,  bezel and tube??)

Using an eta 2836-2 GMT ICHS would be a CHS for the 1655.

Does anyone have a Josh 1655 that can give their opinion/review of.....??

A perfectly aligned/centered DW is a "major" issue for me as I feel that's one of the first things that's noticed on a watch using a cyclop.

Remember the 1655 is a plastic crystal watch. You can always start with the rep from Josh and see how you like it. More expensive options exist like yuki, NDT and Phong but they will require more money.

Some nice frankens have been built- you might try searching and see if you can find a few of them.

Just read the Chi-man tear down of the PC 1655 (almost 3 years ago)

Are the current offerings still based on this case ??

Tried to PM you Brother but it says no.........

I'm sure with skill using a dremel and skill in polishings methods it's an easy fix.....I've never attempted that sort of case work.

I've been through the "case too wide" issue with the 16570's

Having gotten accustomed to the older legendary "NoobFactory" Exp.II's the case protuding past the bezel looks all wrong and hideous to me.

I couldn't handle wearing one that's obviously too wide like that.

But that's something that'll have to be corrected if I don't use a case from ingod or others.

(thanks to denimhead and the search button I'm gathering some good do's and don'ts intel on the 1655 builds.)

I'll really have to decide exacly what it is I'm after with a 1655 build...they seem complex and it looks as though they can get costly...real quick.

I learned one thing the hard way...Frankenstein 1655/1675 using genuine movements are expensive.

If I was going to make a 1655, I would start with the best cartel case/dial combo I could find. The DG GMT movement is a good choice but it may need c/o.

Swisseta 2836 with chinese GMT modification is more realistic if you swap all the GMT parts over to a 2846 to slow the beat rate down. Probably also need a taller canon pinion etc so the hands will not be all crammed together.

The GMT/1655 are sometimes a lot of work...1016 is much easier imho.

Figure this out:

A genuine 1675 with a complicated 1575 date/GMT movement and rotating bezel will go for $3500 to $4500 on average. The movement will go for $2000 to $2500.

A 1655 with the same movement will go for $8000 to $12000. The movement will go for $2000 to $2500.

That's a lot of $$ for a different dial and case.

A genuine 1016 with a Simple Simon 1570 will go for about the same as a 1675. The movement will go for $800 to $1200.

A $5 yard sale Timex is a good alternative...    :pimp: 

automatico...much thanks Brother.

And I greatly appreciate "all" the response and very useful info provided here.

To be honost this was far more info that I'd hope to receive.

No doubt about it it's the members here that make this community and hobby so enjoyable and rewarding. :)

....now comes the decision making time.

I'll gratefully ingest all this and decide which direction best suits my goal (and my budget)

One thing can be certain...this one won't be getting a gen mvt.

I love everything about the looks of the 1655 Exp.II with the exception of the tall, acrylic crystal.

And I'm not sure I'd like the tall crystal profile even with a sapphire.

I suppose the true, die-hard , loyal and faithful 1655 lovers and enthusiasts among us will consider casting me through the gates of hell for asking this................................

but how would a 1655 build look with 

eta  mvt.2836-2 GMT

SL'd dial/ hands,

open 6 and 9 date (of course) 

standard  gen  2.0mm, 1.8mm or  1.8mm AR'd version sapphire....................??

gen 24-5330 tube an 24-603 crown

• 1 month later...

I'm just heading down this same road, and found this thread helpful. I don't have an issue using a gen 1570. For me, if I'm using a gen movement and can upgrade to gen hands and dial later. I was budgeting $3K for the build, and I think I can get where I want for that.

I reached out to Yuki (no cases available) an NDTrading. Is there somewhere else I should be looking? Looks like I can get a lot of what I want from NDTrading.

I was hoping to find a thread where someone compared the different aftermarket dials and hands. I can find plenty of people on eBay that seem to have hands, but knowing who's are better quality is the trick.