When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why Oh Why...

shultz

I know that topic has been discussed several times but nevertheless I will never understand why most reps even the top notch have incorrect date fonts :angry: .

We are seeing great improvements on current reps especially 1:1 casing, ar-coated sapphire crystals, swan neck mvts. and so on. But it is always the date font which is bothering us. Why :g: ? I mean it should be easier to copy a date wheel than a steel case or a detailed dial (e.g. an IWC Inge dial or some detailed chronograph dials).

A current example: The new IWC Inge is a brilliant watch even the dial is top and damn close to the real deal. Also amazing is the construction of the bracelet which is quite elaborate. But don’t look at the date window. Font is obviously wrong whereas it should be possible to print it dead-on.

Another example and well known: Most PAM reps are accurate in principle. Even the date mags become better. But it is still the date font which is not correct. Especially referring to the 7750 pannies I am curious why. Look: I am owning an early PAM050 rep with the old 7750 and I like the date font which is closer to the real deal than all other PAM rep date fonts I’ve seen yet. Why don’t produce the manufacturers that old 7750 date wheel a million times more and assemble it to all 7750 based PAM reps?

I mean what the hell is that difficult? As far as I know some producers are purchasing gen watches for copying. Why does the manufacturer copy a case 1:1 but not the date wheel? In case there is no gen watch it should be simple to figure out the font name and print it onto the blank date wheels. I don’t talk about a complicated custom job as finepics did for the forum. I am talking about an industry in asia. I might be wrong but is it a special joke? Just for us crazy collectors to start the big hunting for parts? For giving our live a sense by starting re-printing projects?

I don’t know the answer but eventually somebody can enlighten me :hypocrite: ?

Because the movements for the reps are usually bulk manufactured and in stock before the rep itself is designed and built, so often the datewheel that the movement arrived with just gets chucked in there. That is why, for example, the first batch of Planet Ocean Chronos had Panerai datewheel font.

Once the stock of existing movements gets used up then they might shift their ass and tool up a new datewheel...