When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any interest for a crown height conversion kit?

So, the biggest thing that bugs me about the APRO @12 are the crowns that are too high. So I was thinking if I did a spacer ring for the chapter ring, a new tube and movement ring, is there any interest in something like this? Naturally you will need to find someone to drill the new hole for the crown tube.

The idea is to have a much bigger diameter opening that is offset from the original location and encompassing the current hole but centred lower, and commissioning a new larger diameter crown tube that will fit inside the new hole.

I'm not sure whether there is enough space inside the case for the movement to sit lower, I'm assuming the caseback should be able to accommodate this. Maybe one of the modders can chime in on this?

I doubt there would be interest. The crown position, like the cyclops position, is due to the movement being used. However, you would have to drill a new hole for the correct crown height if you do swap your movement for a LWO 283.

No, the idea is to reuse the existing movement and dial, then use a spacer ring on the chapter ring to lower the movement. Yes you will need to re-drill a new hole. The idea being that you redrill a much larger hole, but lowered to the centre of the CG. Question is whether movement will still fit and not hit the CB

• 5 weeks later...

If I am understanding correctly lowering the movement still doesn't get rid of the real tell - it is not so  uch the height of the crown but rather that it is not lower than the two pushers and as someone else said that is due to the chrono module on top of the base movement on the gen versus the one level 7750. And so with that in mind it most likely isn't worth it.

the crown position is an easy tell if you are looking at pictures but in real life the depth of the date wheel (impressive how it's not too obvious in pictures) and the case thickness are much bigger ones. Anything that would add thickness to the watch is a bad idea.

• 1 month later...

is that a gen ? if not how did u get that placement?

greets ralph

No, it's a LWO movement in a Domi modded rep case. I'm trying to show you how the crown sits in relationship to the pushers. With the 7750 sec @ 12 all three are in a straight line so you will not be able to get a gen look.

I

No, it's a LWO movement in a Domi modded rep case. I'm trying to show you how the crown sits in relationship to the pushers. With the 7750 sec @ 12 all three are in a straight line so you will not be able to get a gen look.

Was it hard to get this watch ?

I really like the gen look i am currently looking for an 1:1 franken or i will go for the chronopassion v5 and only get a new band from apbands

I

Was it hard to get this watch ?

I really like the gen look i am currently looking for an 1:1 franken or i will go for the chronopassion v5 and only get a new band from apbands

most who own frankens rarely sell them because they are not easy to put together. You need the focus and resources to start the journey.

Either way you go I'm sure you will be pleased. Best of luck in your quest.