When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Rolex 5512

thewightstuff

was posting this old pic up for another forum and thought some of you might like to see it since they arent that common.

please excuse the gold crown though. photo was taken while i was waiting on a replacement stem for the cal 1570 movement and this was all i could get with the correct stem to keep the watch working till i could replace the stainless version when they arrived.

also glass is somewhat old and desperately needing replaced which was done since.

ill take some better pics later on when ive some time to show CGs etc.

153628-14251.jpg

Edited by thewightstuff

Here's a pic of my '61 5512. Bought used about 16 years ago for a grand. the dial had been replaced sometime in the late 60's early 70's. I own a couple of reps and a genuine Tank Francaise, but I always seem to end up with this on my wrist. Sure wish it still had the gilt gloss dial on it, but it's holding its own, value-wise. :lol::lol:post-143-1164255367_thumb.jpg

?? I don't see a gilt gloss dial on the first photos at the top of the page. Was that an option on the 5512?

I'd love to see some photos of a gilt 5512 or 13! Wow........

The first few years of the 5512 had the gilt gloss dial, mine included. Go to the Time Zone vintage Rollie forum - they've got tons of pics. I had one made, but I've yet to put it on - seems wrong to put an aftermarket dial on the real deal. I'll try and post some pics of the dial later.

Happy Thanksgiving, all.

thats a nice watch virgil, thanks for putting up the pics.

i didnt know that they had ever offered a gilt dial on these too, id just assumed it was only 5513. theres never much info around on 5512s somehow. i guess their being rarer means they are always just passed in mention when giving history of the subs etc.

apparently there were 7 different dial version on the 5512s though i dont know what they were. i do know that not all showed SCOC on the dial even though the movement inside was certified.

apparently these were the only non dates ever to feature chrono cert.

yes it had the tropic 19 superdome fitted.

nanuq,

i sure did replace it with another dome. i love them though i actually have a more flat topped in it at the moment. put it in as it was all i could get while i waited on some more domes coming and it works well with a black NATO, actually better than it ever looked with the domed glass in.

strange but true, however im keeping it in until i get bored on the strap and want to put the bracelet back on at which point ill swap crystals again

nanuq,

forgot to add. dont you have a great 5513 or is my memory playing tricks?

Edited by thewightstuff

nope, still on original tritium which is pretty yellow looking and uneven across the surface. its shrunk back a little revealing the white markers underneath around the very edges. its the same as in the pics at the top but just the light is different, and the glass less scuffed :)

i did toy with the idea of changing out the dial for one in more the condition they would have been in new but id miss the one thats in tbh

Edited by thewightstuff

Actually, the date of mine (III '61) pre-dates the 5512, so the original dial for mine would not have had a COSC designation on it - they only started putting them on when they came out with the 5513, which is not certified. I've seen maybe one genuine dial available in all the years I've been looking for one. And it was $2300.

Love it. And I love mine (well, it's a 13 not a 12). Mine has the 26J movement variation as opposed to the USA-common 17J variety.

Best thing you can do (aside from keeping the original dial installed) is to keep the Superdome Tropic 19 on. After every Rolex Service Center service, I reinstall my T-19 superdome and pressure test it for minimun 3 minutes at 200m.

155041-13941.jpg