When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6538 Case review : Phong's vs Tiger

Athaya

Hello Guys,

First of all i would like to say hello, maybe its my first time make a post here. One of my friend over HF suggest me to post the review here.

I just bought 2 6538 case. One is from Phong and the other is Tiger case. Both of them are nice, but i must admit that Phong's is much better. Here is the comparison between both. Phong's is on left/bottom, Tiget is on right/Top

Some small review on Phong's, I think its only the bezel insert and the crown that will need to improve to make it perfect. Hope this will help.

PvsT_01.JPG

PvsT_02.JPG

PvsT_03.JPG

PvsT_04.JPG

PvsT_05.JPG

PvsT_06.JPG

PvsT_07.JPG

PvsT_08.JPG

PvsT_09.JPG

PvsT_10.JPG

PvsT_11.JPG

PvsT_12.JPG

PvsT_13.JPG

PvsT_14.JPG

PvsT_15.JPG

PvsT_16.JPG

PvsT_17.JPG

PvsT_18.JPG

PvsT_19.JPG

PvsT_20.JPG

PvsT_21.JPG

PvsT_22.JPG

PvsT_23.JPG

PvsT_24.JPG

PvsT_25.JPG

PvsT_26.JPG

PvsT_27.JPG

PvsT_28.JPG

Here is what i mean on Phong's crown parts, the crown top is too fat and also has a tiny lips on the side part.

PvsT_29.JPG

PvsT_30.JPG

So what do you guys think about these cases...

Phong's case is much better, although I do like the crystal on the other a lot more. A gen crown and better bezel and insert and a t-17 like the one on the other case, and you have a real winner!

Thx, will research more for T-17 plexi, honestly this will be my first rolex type project. Plan to use rolex cal 1030 on phong's case. wish me luck :)

How's the bezel construction on the Tiger one?

Its using a gen construction already plus using tropic 19 size plexi.

who is Tiger?

sorry not give more details :) its an ebay seller id : onlinestorehk

C'mon man, dont you know?

Woods, Tiger Woods the golf player!

:D

LOL. hehehehe

Welcome aboard Athaya, it is good to have you here.  That's a nice photo essay.  :tu:

Thank you nanuq.

Edited by Athaya

Interesting. Will you be using your brevet crown in the build Adrian?

yes E,

already put the crown on the tiger case, and also do some reshape on tiger lug part. here they are :

Tiger case is the two on top.

6538_01_zps29245f80.jpg

6538_04_zps84f697a7.jpg

6538_03_zpsae5637e3.jpg

6538_02_zps2c983411.jpg

Now just need to find times to finish them.. hehehehe

Edited by Athaya

@cc33, damn its beautiful. is it phong's case too? the dial looks hot too. I plan to use ingod dial on phong's. Things i need to make sure is wheter ingod dial will fit to phong's case since its only 26.5mm size. Or do you have any suggestion for the dial..?

But for the other 2 tiger case, already got some dial for them. Its more likely a fantasy 6538 dial. It's for me and my wife.. hehehee

IMG_1624_zps8ed90df5.jpg

The 'Tiger' case is the same one that Rafflestime carries. I bought my first from 'onlinestore' using Ebay's 'best offer', offered $50 for the case, bezel and caseback, and told him to keep the straps and the rest. He countered at $55 and I bought it. Comparing it to a phong's case at what, less than 10% of the cost, is interesting. 

It is NOT gen construction, the crystal is glued in. The case needs a bit of 'massaging' but looks nice enough when done. The 'Tiger' case takes a larger 29.2mm dial. The bezel needs to be beveled top and bottom, but looks ver nice when done. 

I tried to make it into a 6542, but the bezel is not deep enough for the plastic insert and not enough clearance to make it so. post-16926-0-84152200-1363110633_thumb.jpost-16926-0-57066500-1363110651_thumb.j

So I made a 6538 'Bond' out of it. post-16926-0-16850900-1363110736_thumb.j

The 'Tiger' case is the same one that Rafflestime carries. I bought my first from 'onlinestore' using Ebay's 'best offer', offered $50 for the case, bezel and caseback, and told him to keep the straps and the rest. He countered at $55 and I bought it. Comparing it to a phong's case at what, less than 10% of the cost, is interesting.

It is NOT gen construction, the crystal is glued in. The case needs a bit of 'massaging' but looks nice enough when done. The 'Tiger' case takes a larger 29.2mm dial. The bezel needs to be beveled top and bottom, but looks ver nice when done.

I tried to make it into a 6542, but the bezel is not deep enough for the plastic insert and not enough clearance to make it so. post-16926-0-84152200-1363110633_thumb.jpost-16926-0-57066500-1363110651_thumb.j

So I made a 6538 'Bond' out of it. post-16926-0-16850900-1363110736_thumb.j

That's what I thought. I was hoping there was a revision 2 available with gen like bezel construction. :(

Hi Adrian,

Welcome onboard, just a quick Thank you for the fantastic service you provided supplying the 2 brevet crowns i purchased from you a while ago. Nanuq has Ziggy fitted it on that 6538 yet??? ;)

I'm not sure about the 6538's progress at the Ziggy Spa, but I have only compliments for his Concierge service.  I must say the artwork and oak paneling in the Ziggy Lounge was a pleasant upgrade, and his new wine list is to die for.  And his selection of 15-year single malts is amazing.

At this point I don't care HOW the watch comes out.  I'm never leaving!  :tu:

Guest zeleni kukuruz

At least i have my dreams, AND no one cant take then away from me!!!

Amazing build guy's!!!

cc33, if i was a girl i would have married you... And yes onely becuse of your watches :D