When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6542 the gathering :)

Lo'

Hi Freddy, I have asked Yuki about this and, as you guessed he has replied that his case is designed for the 1030 movement. He also says that he does not know if an ETA will fit, therefore he has no advice in regard to adapter rings.

You might have a problem with using a 2893 movement. canon pins may be too short. also it's a high beat movement (28000), vs the 2846 and DG3804 GMT which are both slow beat (21000). Most of the folks here who have built 6542's are using either of the two slow beat movements, except for Freddy's which has a genuine Rolex movement inside.

My 6542 case is a Ming Quy which is a pretty high grade aftermarket case (Gen specs) and joeyB was able to fit a 2846 in mine with no trouble. He could probably chime in and tell you what type of adapter ring he used.

My (black) Phase 1 is 2846-powered & has JoeyB's insert, but the case is a modified Silix, not Yuki
winding6542s0052__-2_tonemapped1_zpsf770

I agree with panerai53 that the 2846 would be a much better choice for a vintage Rolex (I believe that all ETA 28xx series movements have similar (though not exactly the same) dimensions, so they should be interchangeable). The only negative to using the 2846 is that you may have trouble sourcing GMT parts for it. I simply transplanted the parts from the 28.8kbps 2836-2 that came in 1 of Andrew's 1675 reps onto the 21kbps 2846), so the GMT hand varies from its correct position over time, as you can see in the pic above.

My insert is made to fit gen bezels. The outside diameter has fit all the replicas that I know of, so far. As with freddy's phase I and my first, also a Silix, the bezel needed to be deepened for the insert to sit properly. 

To fit the ETA2846 to panerai's case I machined a movement ring down to fit. I did no measurments, just kept working on it until the inside cleared the movement, and the outside was able to seat in the case.  

there you go, A movement ring can be made to get your movement into a  yuki case. I believe that the reason they are so coy about comitting to "Yes it will take an ETA movement, is should by chance it won't work, you're going to be unhappy with yuki 'cause he said it would!

joey likes the DG3804 movements, they are a GMT movement, so you don't need to source extra parts for your movement build. They are cheap too!!

I do like the DG3804B for many reasons, though I have the ETA2846 in several of my builds. The DG seems to be the more reliable movement for me. I've had trouble with several ETA movements, did a complete service on two, had MD2020 service two others. With the DG if it goes bad you just take it out, place it on the workbench, hit it with a 40oz hammer and buy a brand new one for $25. And at a glance it even looks more like a gen Rolex movement than the ETA does. Of course, I am a cheap bastard, so that goes with a grain of salt... :whistling:

As Frank Zappa would have it: "thank you, thank you and... thank you!"... for sharing the knowledge.<br /><br />Freddy and JoeyB<br />You know what? I'm half scottish so there's a part of me which will invariably be attracted by the idea of paying less; :). <br />Please tell me, is the Silix case a viable option or would I be better off with Yuki's? <br /><br />Panerai<br />Then "asian" seems the way to go :)