When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

building a franken 16520

username here

• 2 weeks later...

chief, stick to the white dial.....i hardly wore my black dial. although in gen world, the black dialed Daytona is slightly more expensive. i sold my gen 116520 last week - if it did have a black dial, the buyer would pay 1.5k more. flex

For a while there I was on a kick of building or buying watches with non-black dials...  White 16520 franken, Silver AP ROO franken, Silver/black panda 6265 franken, etc.  Then I sold a couple older pieces, e.g. 3717 franken, etc and soon realized I didn't have any black dial watches except some old school modded PAMs, which are now rarely worn...  So I built a lite-franken 16610, with only gen dial, crown, insert just to have something else black in the box but you know how boring a 16610 gets after a bit...  so that is why I've been thinking about turning the 16520 black as another way to get another black watch (but also admit that a gen SuperOcean Heritage has been catching my eye lately too)...  And you're right, flex, the black dial Daytonas usually carry a slight premium in the gen world.  I'd still keep the white dial though.  Maybe I'd swap dials at each service interval or something just to change things up every couple years...  Hmm.

Edited by chieftang

is he selling? $3k seems cheap

I dunno if it's the language barrier or something else, but that guy weirds me out. He offers terrible advice as though he's some kind of authority, and he has repeatedly said he considers it his "duty" to do so. He's also wrong a fair bit. I don't think I'd buy a watch he built.

+1 :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks! Looking forward to building it in a few weeks.

I've got a modified Zenith on the way...talking to Phong about cooking up a case...and now I'm on a hunt for gen pushers and a dial!

I didn't realize when i started, that I was so limited on dial selection. I guess I have to go older for the "Newman" dials. (Next build!)