When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does tc hands fit 2824-2 without broaching ?

Erict719

It is always a good dea to broach the hands so that you don't damage the stem, movement or hand set for any watch build...The TC dial and hand sets will fit the 2824-2 ETA movements as is; but it's always a good idea to broach hands so no damge is done to the movement and hands....

So let me get this straight so I'm on the same page re broaching the hands.  Is this another term for putting the watch in hacking position, crown pulled?

Sorry for the questions, I'm keen to learn, and it's the first time I have seen/heard the term Broaching the hands mentioned.

Edited by SSTEEL

@SSTEEL: no not really. You press the hands onto the pivot/stem of the second gear or the pinion of the minute / hour wheel.

If you can't press the hands down, you probably need to enlarge the diameter of the hole (of the hands) but just a fraction of a millimetre. A drill bit would be to imprecise, so you use a broach.

If you forced the hands onto the pinions chances are you damage something (pivots, jewel).

Hope this helps (no, I'm no watchsmith)

• Like 1

@SSTEEL: no not really. You press the hands onto the pivot/stem of the second gear or the pinion of the minute / hour wheel.

If you can't press the hands down, you probably need to enlarge the diameter of the hole (of the hands) but just a fraction of a millimetre. A drill bit would be to imprecise, so you use a broach.

If you forced the hands onto the pinions chances are you damage something (pivots, jewel).

Hope this helps (no, I'm no watchsmith)

Thanks for that, I now understand what it means :) I have even found some Broaching tools :)  Just an example below..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Set-of-6-Cutting-Broaches-0-8-2-3-mm-Clocks-Watches-Repair-Tools-Parts-Service-/271161081248?pt=UK_Clocks&hash=item3f2275bda0

Edited by SSTEEL

Close to the position where the stem goes into the movement is a small notch with a 'button'. You have the press this down carefully (if you press to hard you could [censored] the keyless).

And the movement should be in hack/time setting position.

It is always a good dea to broach the hands so that you don't damage the stem, movement or hand set for any watch build...The TC dial and hand sets will fit the 2824-2 ETA movements as is; but it's always a good idea to broach hands so no damge is done to the movement and hands....

What ? No

It is not a good idea to broach the hands unless you are trying to make a hand set that is too small fit that us the ONLY reason to broch any thing

Does anyone have instruction or picture to help me remove the dial and hands.. I am a total newbie.

could I just pull the dial off ?

Your willingness to post up on removing hands and dials is commendable.

However....I'm not sure I'd use a WM9, TC or any other high quality rep to practice and learn on. :)

As for the WM9 v3 accepting a gen 3135...I believe I've read somewhere that it will but don't quote me on that.

I've never tried it.

It is always a good dea to broach the hands so that you don't damage the stem, movement or hand set for any watch build...The TC dial and hand sets will fit the 2824-2 ETA movements as is; but it's always a good idea to broach hands so no damge is done to the movement and hands....

WTF are you talking about? If the hands fit and then you broach them, they won't fit anymore.

It is always a good dea to broach the hands so that you don't damage the stem, movement or hand set for any watch build...The TC dial and hand sets will fit the 2824-2 ETA movements as is; but it's always a good idea to broach hands so no damge is done to the movement and hands....

WTF are you talking about? If the hands fit and then you broach them, they won't fit anymore.

My thoughts exactly.

Again, I have never had any issues with fitting TC hands in an ETA movement.

I've never had any issues with the TC hands fitting.....but like I said it's always a good idea to broach the hands if they are too tight so you don't damage anything.....

Dude, that doesn't make any sense at all.

Hands have holes that are manufactured to within thousands of an inch, and they're designed to be friction-fit. If you broach hands that are designed for an ETA 28xx movement, they won't fit an ETA 28xx movement any more--they'll be too big.