When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Air-king and Oyster

cousin_hub

Does Rolex even make an Oysterdate these days? The 6694 Oysterdate ran into the early 80's and it was a manual wind watch w/ a 34mm case.

But the Oysterdate and Air King Date would be fun reps- just don't know if either is still around- guess I'll check google!

"Does Rolex even make an Oysterdate these days?"

My 6694 serial number 88xxxxx cal 1225 (purchased new in 1989) was probably made toward the end of the run. 'Rolexflation' has not bothered the 6694 much...they had a list price of $925 when I bought it and they are worth about the same today. 

There were similar no date models available over the years and I have one old tutone reference 6422 (cal 1210) made first quarter 1951 (I 51 stamped inside the caseback)...same case size, same basic movement as 6694. Mystery...my 'official' rolex info claims the 1210 movement came out in 1954 (??).  :g:

Calibre 1210/15 = 18000 bph, cal 1220/25 = 21600 bph.

Always liked the 6694 and there are lots of dials for them. A fellow on TZ now and then has a lot of first class 6694 watches, dials etc.

Had a nos L96xxxx AK 5500 with a 1520 hack and it was probably made toward the end of the 5500 AK run. 

First sapphire 14010 AK I owned was serial T91xxxx with cal 3000 (14000 = smooth bezel, 14010 = engine turned bezel).

First sapphire 14010M AK I had with cal 3130 was serial P79xxxx (M = 3130).

Never cared much at all for the cal 3000 in early Exp and AK.

Have a tutone Air King reference 5501 (made third quarter 1962, cal 1530), but never owned an AK date. AK date must be few and far between.  :pimp:

The AK and the Oysterdate bowing out at the end of the 80s would be consistent with the 5513 being replaced by the 14060 at about the same point in time.

One of my early reps from Silix was this 6694

Rolex6694jpg.jpg

I was never happy with the weak date mag so I swapped an aftermarket Rolex crystal in there- but damn, the cyclops was in the wrong position- too far inward as I recall

Finally got a MKII dial and hands and a T12 which fit perfectly

That old Silix watch had a gen swiss eta and it seems like I paid $150 for it including postage.

MKIIexplorer.jpg

If that Oysterdate comes with a asian eta 2836-2, it should be a cool watch.

The other watch that goes with the AK and the Oysterdate is the 1500 Date

I've got two of those- nice beaters

P1000177.jpg

I paid $1100 for the ss model and $1250 for the 1550 GP. Of course I had to service them so add $150-200 to the cost of each of them. But they're nice beaters- actually the GP is more of a dress watch- put it on a cheap jubilee recently

photo-25.jpg

Silix had quite a few good Air-kings back in the days.. You could get an ETA-watch for 150 USD. :-)

The replica Air-Kings had 36mm case, while the gen is 34mm I think. Nevertheless, I prefer the extra 2mm..

Watches come and go in my collection, but the blue dial Air-King is a keeper!

Air-King.jpg

17mai_AirKing.jpg

"The replica Air-Kings had 36mm case, while the gen is 34mm I think..."

I have an AK from 'Paul' at Abay/Womart 7or 8 years ago and it is 36mm. It is the same exact watch as the Exp he had back then except for the dial.

Since rolex started screwing with case sizes a few years ago I doubt anyone would notice a 36mm AK.