When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is the "ceramic" P.O bezel really ceramic?

fitmic

the gen orange bezel is definatley steel, its on the omega website in the specs i think and also in some marketing brochures, gen forums have confirmed it also. its the black bezels which are ceramic on gen, on the blue Ti model its ceramic and the silver numbers are infilled with the liquid metal technology...

Sgt as you know I previously owned the CrPO black bezel and just sold it yaaay :clap2: I never had any issue with scratches or paint rubbing off. The watch is awesome...no worries mate.

nice one flipping it indy! are you gonna order the updated version? im at the point now where im glad i waited....and now want one...but do i need one :g:

nice one flipping it indy! are you gonna order the updated version? im at the point now where im glad i waited....and now want one...but do i need one :g:

You always need another one mate   :partytime:   

The difference between the gen black bezel is the numbers aren't painted on (as is the case in the rep) The numbers/markers in the gen hollowed out in the ceramic bezel and then filled in with a Chromium nitrite compound and then the bezel is smoothed around the compound and the ceramic to make it flush. It is definitely not painted on. The chromium nitrate compound used for the numbers is extremely hard, harder than the ceramic bezel around it. This is for the black bezels . The LM blue bezel is constructed in a different way using zirconium oxide (LM) but again it is hollowed out markers and numbers and is smoothed later. There is no way of removing the numbers on either, you would have to destroy the bezel to do it.

Unfortunately this is a case where the reps are just mimicking the look, they certainly didn't go through this process.....but I would've hoped they would use more durable paint :)

• Like 1

heres a pic of a scratch on gen CrPO bezel... occurs on gen too, but yes if its ceramic topped with paint id imagine its the paint thats rubbing/marking...such as the AR coating on crystals, often its the coating that scratches and not the crystal itself.

scratch just below the 5 in 50...

553172d1320855759-liquidmetal-scratchpro

I see what you mean bamcky, but that is not a scratch...per se. The thing is the bezel is not coated with a matte coat, the matte effect on the gen is made during the construction process, i.e. it is mattifed base ceramic rather than polished ceramic like the LM etc. The bezels will show things like oil marks and fingerprints etc and surface blemishes on scratching etc, but I guarantee that all that is needed is to wet a finger and rub the bezel and there will be no more scratch. Marks will happen but a quick wipe takes all off.

Can't say much about the gen ceramic smp numbers coming off, that probably has a different construction process and is probably just painted on as is shown in those pics.

@bam and sarge yes I'm going for V2 but can't decide on pumpkin or black. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Andrew at TT recommended the pumpkin cause it pops more. I have so much black in my collection pumpkin would be a refreshing addition but alas I'm torn. Help!

while i was out yesterday i popped into an AD, handled the pumpkin 45...and pretty much as i got home ordered the 45 pumpkin rep! to say it pops is an understatement! its a killer look, i'll probs matt coat the bezel insert when it arrives as the gen does have quite a matt look to it-it is steel too, i asked lol the orange numbers almost look electric on the dial, different and stunning...go orange! i have the older 22mm black PO rubber strap im gonna try it on too...pics in a week or 2 when i get it...

Edited by bamcky2k

while i was out yesterday i popped into an AD, handled the pumpkin 45...and pretty much as i got home ordered the 45 pumpkin rep! to say it pops is an understatement! its a killer look, i'll probs matt coat the bezel insert when it arrives as the gen does have quite a matt look to it-it is steel too, i asked lol the orange numbers almost look electric on the dial, different and stunning...go orange! i have the older 22mm black PO rubber strap im gonna try it on too...pics in a week or 2 when i get it...

Good on ya mate  :clap2:  that's the one I'll be ordering soon albeit the 42mm, let us know if you can how easy/hard mod is to do, well worth doing imo  :inverted:

Sweet! Thanks for info Bam. Can't wait to see pics. I'm thinking of letting PB do my matte finish on the bezel. DMS did his own but scratch the bezel in the process. I don't need that stress :fool:

great to know its ceramic, the orange is defo steel, gen and rep...i know ive said it before lol but if you look at the listing of it on the TD's websites it clearly states "orange steel diving bezel" its a shame, but i guess the orange colour was difficult to achieve in ceramic form maybe for both gen and rep...? still gotta have love for the pumpkin! always been my fave colour choice and to me-the colour the planet ocean is known for...

@sarge and bam...I agree! I would have loved the ceramic in pumpkin. I really don't want metal because of the scratch potential but I have quite a bit of black in my collection...tough decision :fool: maybe I'll go black insert with orange numbers...best of both worlds???thoughts gents??? :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

From what I can gather the inserts are ceramic, at least they look ceramic ie quite thick but hey who knows. Seems to be an issue with the paint they have used to coat them though as it is rubbing off very quickly........... :g: let's see if  anyone can post some pics of the inserts they have with the fading   :inverted:  

Some pics by ianm yesterday which show the extent of the problem on the black bezel inserts, pretty shocking tbh, I expected better:

Really surprised at how bad these bezel inserts are fading. When originally bought the reps this sort of thing wasn't apparent on a new watch, then in the following weeks there were some pics on the forums showing pearl triangle fade etc, nothing extreme but still noticeable....These pics really show how extreme it can get. I'm pretty disappointed at just how poor that rep paint is. These seriously need a correction. The blue and orange don't seem to be having the same issues as the black.

006-7.jpg

007-12.jpg

009-8.jpg

Some pics by ianm yesterday which show the extent of the problem on the black bezel inserts, pretty shocking tbh, I expected better:

Really surprised at how bad these bezel inserts are fading. When originally bought the reps this sort of thing wasn't apparent on a new watch, then in the following weeks there were some pics on the forums showing pearl triangle fade etc, nothing extreme but still noticeable....These pics really show how extreme it can get. I'm pretty disappointed at just how poor that rep paint is. These seriously need a correction. The blue and orange don't seem to be having the same issues as the black.

Thanks for sharing these pics cougar, indeed that fading on a piece that costs so much to buy is pretty piss poor in my opinion. He did say he had tried to clean the bezel up a bit I just wonder what he used? Whatever it was it seems to have sped the process of fading considerably! 

I wonder if we will see an insert fs seperately for these pieces in the near future   :g: at a bloody good discount I hope too ! Gotta feel for the guys who have bought these already

I've been holding back on one of these for the Asian movement version, whenever that comes, but with this bezel issue may hold off even longer. If they can get the blue and orange metal inserts right I'm sure they will get the Black Ceramic right too  ;)  with V2 I hope....

Yes not good, I was surprised at the fading.  I asked ianm what happened and he said some polishing abrasive got on it which he mistakenly tried to wipe off. He expected some fading but didn't expect the results shown. Moral of the story is even though some fading was expected they seem to be much less durable than the paint on the aluminium bezels and won't take much abuse. I wonder if it is just bad paint or is it the down to the way it's bonding to the matte ceramic inserts? It doesn't seem to work on the black as well as on the orange/blue. Will try and push a few dealers to sort it out, I would expect better out of a $300+ rep tbh.

• Like 1